The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

10 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I mean maybe there is. If he ended up at a Premier league side though, I'd be shocked if he was on that wage. 

There's always the very likely possibility too that he intentionally priced himself out of hanging about as he doesn't fancy playing championship fitba so decided if he was to take a drop then the wages had to go up to offset that. 

Yeah I agree if he ends up in the Premiership then no one's paying that sort of wage but the point I was getting at was there was a story ran on Monday (I think) quoting interest from West Brom, Cardiff, Middlesborough, Derby, Birmingham, Ipswich and Wigan as having a look at him. All of them will meet that sort of wage without a second thought.

Assuming at least some of that interest is legit (and I realise Football League World is probably not the most reliable of sources) then it's more than likely his agent would have been aware of it when they spoke to Killie about numbers.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/exclusive-west-brom-birmingham-derby-ipswich-among-sides-eyeing-striker-on-free-transfer/

Edited by capt_oats

16 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I see a few players as well as our media guy are now following the Raith Rovers lad. Will they all unfollow if he goes elsewhere 😆

I was trying to remember why I'd a point of watching him recently. Was there not a Raith game that was televised recently (not the playoffs) that Jim was in attendance of? I'm sure Hendry seemed like the most logical scouting target. Suggests we may have been watching for a while.

31 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I see a few players as well as our media guy are now following the Raith Rovers lad. Will they all unfollow if he goes elsewhere 😆

This should point to him coming to the club. Is he good enough? I suppose we may find out

4 minutes ago, AW saint said:

This should point to him coming to the club. Is he good enough? I suppose we may find out

Oh yes , Hibs were wanting him as well according to their fans it's also the club he supports so a bit of a coup if we get him. 

2 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Definitely a stand out in the Championship and young enough at 23 to still improve. Time will tell I guess. Was mentioned earlier that some players look head and shoulders above the second tier but just cannot make the step up. Cammy Smith being a prime example of this.  

From what I've seen of him, he's that sort of old fashioned number 8 type that isn't advanced enough to sit behind the strikers, nor deep enough to sit in front of the defence. 

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Definitely a stand out in the Championship and young enough at 23 to still improve. Time will tell I guess. Was mentioned earlier that some players look head and shoulders above the second tier but just cannot make the step up. Cammy Smith being a prime example of this.  

From what I've seen of him, he's that sort of old fashioned number 8 type that isn't advanced enough to sit behind the strikers, nor deep enough to sit in front of the defence. 

If he comes in, that's two players we've signed who fill similar roles to McGrath 🤔

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

If he comes in, that's two players we've signed who fill similar roles to McGrath 🤔

He plays fair bit deeper than Kiltie or McGrath.

I would take his signing more as a final sign of what we all know already, that JDH is off. 

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

He plays fair bit deeper than Kiltie or McGrath.

I was more saying that McGrath has played as both an 8 and a 10, and possibly sees himself as an 8 in the future. But in Kiltie and, presumably, Hendry, we've got extra cover in both those areas. But yes, as you say, as a direct and immediate replacement for JDH, he fits the bill pretty well based on what I've seen.

If Hendry comes in it will be a real statement of intent and back up the boards words, we will have signed one of the most sought after premier league players in Kiltie and in the first division in Hendry. Beating other teams to their signatures. Not to forget others had wanted Brophy. It’s a while since we’ve signed so many sought after players. Beats other teams casts off that’s for sure. 

We apparently beat several teams to his signature, I don’t know who but having watched most teams last year against us he was one of the few players released that would enhance most teams outside of the old firm. Which is why I can believe several teams were in for him. 

3 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Was thinking that as well. "one of the most sought after premier league players" is a hell of a stretch.

Don’t think that’s a stretch at all, I’m talking about players outside of old firm who would have been enhanced other teams. Our manger said we beat off several teams and In this case I can believe that. Did I see contract offers from others teams,  naw! But if double cup winners are showing an interest in him surely you can believe others were.  Can’t think of many other players that fit that category. I’m not saying he’s one of the best in the country but on in this range he is.

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I was trying to remember why I'd a point of watching him recently. Was there not a Raith game that was televised recently (not the playoffs) that Jim was in attendance of? I'm sure Hendry seemed like the most logical scouting target. Suggests we may have been watching for a while.

It was against Dunfermline Raith tore them apart with Hendry a stand out. I wrote at the time on this thread we should try and get him.