The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

My opinion, but if we had the budget for it I think we need 3/4 extra players to allow changes in formation and game plan when 3-5-2 doesn't seem to be working. I think we need:

* A more defensive left footed LB. A left sided Fraser. This would allow Tanser to move up and be a LM/LW as he is not a defensive player at all really. Allowing a shift from 3-5-2.

* We need a pacey RWB to fit into this 352 formation. As Tait nor Henderson are the answer here.

* We need a solid no nonsense CDM to play along side Power and stop Kiltie and McGrath in the same line up. Erhahon/MacPherson might get there over time, but we need solid now as Power cannot do it all alone. This would work with 3-5-2, 4-2-3-1 etc.

* Pacey RM/RW. This would allow to change to back 4 and have width with Fraser at RB of back 4 to support eachother. Allowing at times to move from 3-5-2 when not working.

* If it exists in our budget a tall, strong and Pacey forward who can play with someone or play alone up front. This would allow someone to play alongside Brophy/Main or alone and still be a pest/threat.

I know we will not have the budget for all this, so is anyone coming through the youth set up that can fill these roles?

No getting away from the fact that Goodwin has signed a pile of shite players. This squad look destined to finish in the automatic relegation spot. 
Already looking like a straight battle between ourselves and County.

8 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

No getting away from the fact that Goodwin has signed a pile of shite players. This squad look destined to finish in the automatic relegation spot. 

Don't worry. We'll be down there with you

Just now, ATLIS said:

Don't worry. We'll be down there with you

You’ve got decent players in midfield and some good honest hard workers, we’ve got a load of disjointed looking rejects with no guidance and no idea what they’re meant to be doing.

Just now, glenburn bud said:

You’ve got decent players in midfield and some good honest hard workers, we’ve got a load of disjointed looking rejects with no guidance and no idea what they’re meant to be doing.

We're hanging our hopes for the season on signing Mihai Popescu. We're playing a CDM at CB and he's the best one out of the other 4. We're so so weak defensively despite having a strong midfield. Martindale is stuck overthinking games too much right now too when he decides to chuck Sean Kelly on at CB (even though he's a LB) every game at 60 minutes. For reference, we've won 1 league game out of the last 15...

16 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Never took you as a knickerwetter Vince. Celtic will scalp a few scalps this season you can't base your season on games against the old firm. 

Knicker wetter are out early this year. There were folk calling for Goodwin's head last season after a poor run. 

Today was a tough watch, but we're the second team Celtic have hit for 6. I imagine we won't be the last team to get a doing at Parkhead this year either. 

I'm not convinced of 3 at the back and I worry about the lack of pace in our team but it's certainly not time to panic yet. 

2 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Knicker wetter are out early this year. There were folk calling for Goodwin's head last season after a poor run. 

Today was a tough watch, but we're the second team Celtic have hit for 6. I imagine we won't be the last team to get a doing at Parkhead this year either. 

I'm not convinced of 3 at the back and I worry about the lack of pace in our team but it's certainly not time to panic yet. 

Agree, but if we lose to the fermers and Utd I'll be close to panic.

We better get our next couple of signings spot on as they really could make or break our season. 

Think back to when Ross had just taken over, or when Kearney was in post. Our league position said we were shite, and nobody could understand why our fans seemed (mostly) happy with the way things were going. But in both situations, we could see an improvement in attitude, application and overall performances. 

I've got to be honest, this doesn't feel like that. This feels like a team that's been unable to score with any regularity for many, many months, and with a few key players who are after a move. This feels like a team being made to persist with frankly baffling tactics.

I challenge anyone to honestly say this feels like a team that's heading in the right direction. Just not getting that vibe from the players or their performances. 

Obviously Alnwick has had a mare today, and previously may have kept that down to 3/4, but we can't blame him given he was on the wrong end of a turkey shoot today.

21 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Think back to when Ross had just taken over, or when Kearney was in post. Our league position said we were shite, and nobody could understand why our fans seemed (mostly) happy with the way things were going. But in both situations, we could see an improvement in attitude, application and overall performances. 

I've got to be honest, this doesn't feel like that. This feels like a team that's been unable to score with any regularity for many, many months, and with a few key players who are after a move. This feels like a team being made to persist with frankly baffling tactics.

I challenge anyone to honestly say this feels like a team that's heading in the right direction. Just not getting that vibe from the players or their performances. 

Obviously Alnwick has had a mare today, and previously may have kept that down to 3/4, but we can't blame him given he was on the wrong end of a turkey shoot today.

Spot on with everything you say. 

4 hours ago, Munoz said:

Agree, but if we lose to the fermers and Utd I'll be close to panic.

We better get our next couple of signings spot on as they really could make or break our season. 

Team looks one paced and devoid of any ideas. Hard to see them doing well unless there is some dealing in the next week

Edited by Norrie82

7 minutes ago, Norrie82 said:

Team looks one paced and devoid of any ideas. Hard to see them doing well unless there is some dealing in the next week

Agreed. We've not come close to replacing Durmas or Connolly. 

Tony and Gordon Scott were sitting in the "Red Zone " today.  Hopefully they will have seen where we are lacking. 

Some extreme knicker wetting this evening.

As shit as today was, we're certainly not the first and we certainly won't be the last team to get a sound thrashing by the green bigots, and some of those will be teams will have 11 men on the park.

However, that doesn't detract from the fact that we have no pace in our team whatsoever.

46 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Some extreme knicker wetting this evening.

As shit as today was, we're certainly not the first and we certainly won't be the last team to get a sound thrashing by the green bigots, and some of those will be teams will have 11 men on the park.

However, that doesn't detract from the fact that we have no pace in our team whatsoever.

We are at snails pace but we lack more than pace. Positioning is all over the place and our ability to close players down is shocking. Kiltie cannot play in the same team as McGrath and we have strikers who just dont know how to score goals. 

This is a major test for Goodwin and I hope the board sanction a few players out and better quality in this week. Matty Kennedy is not the saviour