The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

To be fair Greive has already shown in his short stint in appearances, that’s he’s got miles more natural ability.

Paeslack was good for two things, stealing from fellow pro’s and making plaster cast impressions of his dick.

As a going away gift for Stephen McGarry.

Was also a pioneer of shaving his balls in the shower. Ahead of his time in that sense.

I’m genuinely not saying this because I don’t want us to lose a manager who is a great fit for us, but I think Goodwin would be mad to take the Aberdeen job, should he even be in the frame. What’s the remit up there to avoid being sacked in less than a year? Finish third? Win a cup? Same with Hibs these days. Bigger clubs than us in regard to fanbase and stadiums, but as I sit here in 2022, there’s fcuk-all between Aberdeen, Hibs and St Mirren in regard to the talent in the squad and the ability to finish high up the league and have a cup run. In our favour though is that with us, he’s less likely to get his P45 in nine months.

Aye I mean I didn't mean to criticise him or anything. Strikers who work like f**k, have a touch, and can poach goals are vital for clubs in this Country. 
I'm just not sure I've seen anything from him to suggest he'll do anything but score tap ins, so he'll only ever be as good as the others in your attack, if that makes sense?
That's EXACTLY the type of striker we haven't had in years and it's what we need. We have umpteen goals from outside the box it's a wee poacher we are desperate for.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
37 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:
Aye I mean I didn't mean to criticise him or anything. Strikers who work like f**k, have a touch, and can poach goals are vital for clubs in this Country. 
I'm just not sure I've seen anything from him to suggest he'll do anything but score tap ins, so he'll only ever be as good as the others in your attack, if that makes sense?

That's EXACTLY the type of striker we haven't had in years and it's what we need. We have umpteen goals from outside the box it's a wee poacher we are desperate for.

He is that and a lot more. His hold up play is brilliant- the way he drew fouls against the Fermers, the way he led the line at Easter Rd. 

From what ive seen of him so far, he's nothing like Kane or Mullen. 

Goodwin spoke of a release clause in his contract going by the SMiSA tweets from the other night. If there’s any genuine interest then everyone involved will know the figure required. The only worry being it seemed like it was the same amount for us to sack him as it is for another club to poach him. He’d be daft not to consider if the opportunity came about, he’d get far more money in his own pocket and in his playing budget. He had to rebuild our squad when he first came in, no reason why he couldn’t do the same with the hopeless squad Glass has been unable to manage. Hopefully it goes no further than us speculating & they hire Cormack’s latest American soccer coach. 

Edited by buddie06smfc

37 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Yeah I'm not calling him shite or anything, and think players like him are valuable in this league. Just haven't seen anything from him to suggest he'll score anything other than tap ins regularly, and you don't get a huge amount of them over a season.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah I'm not calling him shite or anything, and think players like him are valuable in this league. Just haven't seen anything from him to suggest he'll score anything other than tap ins regularly, and you don't get a huge amount of them over a season.

In his handful of games so far, he's scored twice and won us a penalty. Not a bad return.

Stevie May has scored 2 in 24 this season. 

3 minutes ago, Munoz said:

In his handful of games so far, he's scored twice and won us a penalty. Not a bad return.

Stevie May has scored 2 in 24 this season. 

Well yeah, and both were tap ins. He doesn't strike the ball well when he has to look at the keeper too, from what I saw, so will likely miss more chances that aren't tap ins than he scores.

I'm just trying to discuss a player, not criticise him or St Mirren, so quite why you've gone straight into defense mode and criticised a Saints player I dunno, it's just a bit sad. You are allowed to talk about other clubs players without having to gauge them against your own.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Well yeah, and both were tap ins. He doesn't strike the ball well when he has to look at the keeper too, from what I saw, so will likely miss more chances that aren't tap ins than he scores.

I'm just trying to discuss a player, not criticise him or St Mirren, so quite why you've gone straight into defense mode and criticised a Saints player I dunno, it's just a bit sad. You are allowed to talk about other clubs players without having to gauge them against your own.

So you've watched every minute of every game that Greive has played in so far ? 

10 minutes ago, Munoz said:

So you've watched every minute of every game that Greive has played in so far ? 

No, I've literally said about 4 times it's an early opinion based on what little I've seen on him and I could be miles out by the end.

I can see what tedious route this is headed down though, so I'll stop it here.

I actually think Random has a point, Greive looks busy, hard working and has scored a couple if goals being in the right place at the right time, but he hasn't really shown any evidence he's going to be the kind of striker who creates chances for himself, like Brophy does, or that he's a really instinctive finisher, like Higdon or Thommo were, but every game I've seen him in he's been better than the last, so who knows,it could come.

On Alex Greive, given he is on very little money the lad deserves a better contract regardless of hopefully extending it. The amount of money he spent to come over, he clearly backs his ability.

As for Jim Goodwin, I don’t think the Aberdeen fans would take to his style of football. They still have massive expectations, which in part is why McInnes was sacked. That’s not a reflection on Jim, more how out of touch Dons fans are.

I actually don't think @RandomGuy. Is miles wide of the mark here; Grieve is Mullen-esque in some ways (workrate, pain in the arse) but seems to have a better instinct in the six-yard box. Plus he stays on his feet a million times better.

RG really wasn't slagging him off: he was just saying he doesn't think he'll score that many. I guess we'll see on that front.

For me, the fact he has Kiltie, Tanser and Jones operating behind him means he'll get plenty chances and, for once, those guys actually have someone getting into the right positions to aim for.

Goodwin was in the press just weeks ago saying how much the board had backed him, both financially and while on that dreadful run we had. It's also not the first time he's said that. I know that loyalty is a commodity in football, but it would be nice for him to recognise that and distance himself from the Aberdeen job. As I said in the "new manager" thread, though, I think he will be interested and he may even speak to them.

Edited by Ric

3 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

A note of caution would be that fans in the stands were quite literally directing 'We're  not worthy' gestures towards Jens Paeslack at this stage of his Saints career.

Allan Russell was the one that came to mind for me - handed a new contract after scoring a few goals then did f**k all until the next time his contract was up for renewal. Hopefully Greive is different.

2 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

Goodwin spoke of a release clause in his contract going by the SMiSA tweets from the other night. If there’s any genuine interest then everyone involved will know the figure required. The only worry being it seemed like it was the same amount for us to sack him as it is for another club to poach him. He’d be daft not to consider if the opportunity came about, he’d get far more money in his own pocket and in his playing budget. He had to rebuild our squad when he first came in, no reason why he couldn’t do the same with the hopeless squad Glass has been unable to manage. Hopefully it goes no further than us speculating & they hire Cormack’s latest American soccer coach

That's why I reckon we don't have to worry too much about them coming for Goodwin. Cormack's hubris makes me think it'll be some random we've never heard of or a former player getting their first gig, rather than what would appear to be the sensible/boring option.

Edited by Stu

2 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

Goodwin spoke of a release clause in his contract going by the SMiSA tweets from the other night. 

Literally every manager and member of the Coaching staff has a release clause, that being another club willing to pay out the remainder of the contract.

So if JG is on say £1,500 a week til Summer 2024, the release will be around £180k and will go down with every passing week.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Having a nose for tap ins is useful talent for a striker.