The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

9 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Huge game midweek against managerless Motherwell.

At least St Mirren fans spending the past month on here slating Goodwin isnt likely to come back on them.

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

At least St Mirren fans spending the past month on here slating Goodwin isnt likely to come back on them.

We all know by now everything comes back to bite us on the arse 😂 .

If Aberdeen are still paying him, does he take another job? 

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It would be a quite incredible turnaround if Motherwell managed to get Goodwin in place by Wednesday night. They look like a totally rudderless ship just now and I'd imagine Goodwin is being paid handsomely for the rest of his Aberdeen contract, so if they did go for him any negotiations wouldn't really be sorted in a couple of days.

5 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

We all know by now everything comes back to bite us on the arse 😂 .

If Aberdeen are still paying him, does he take another job? 

Aye im not expecting him to actually get it or anything, it would just be classic football for that to happen.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye im not expecting him to actually get it or anything, it would just be classic football for that to happen.

I'd welcome it, tbh. I realise our games against Aberdeen have all been skewed by early red cards this season, but they have been staggeringly unimpressive. He has a divisive managerial style that he got away with for us, but to the detriment of some decent players such as Erhahon. Apply the same formula at any club where he's not a cup-winning legend and you can't imagine he'll ever be afforded much patience.

Happy for this to be bookmarked and rammed home later, but I would have no fears about facing a Goodwin-managed Motherwell team.

14 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Odd comment from Robinson here. He's doing a great job, no question, and we're a better team now than when he took over but I'm pretty sure we were 6th in the league when he took over last year.

Screenshot_20230212_095131_Chrome.jpg

Top was when he took over. Bottom is this season.

20230212_102043.thumb.jpg.e4cbc0e9cbc5f02ec87b44c4c44e18b6.jpg

7 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

On the Taylor red card, I thought a ‘double jeopardy’ rule had been introduced so that a foul resulting in a penalty would only attract a yellow card. (I’m probably imagining that). 

You're right. The player has to be deemed to be making an attempt to play the ball. 

I don't think it's a penalty. He's trying to block the ball from about a yard away, his arm is in a perfectly natural position for someone sliding. But handball is a lottery you could almost toss a coin. The second point I would make is that the Small is directly behind Taylor, the ball actually hit him, so I struggle to see why it's also a red card if the referee has deemed it a foul.

20 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

On the Taylor red card, I thought a ‘double jeopardy’ rule had been introduced so that a foul resulting in a penalty would only attract a yellow card. (I’m probably imagining that). 

Gogic was clearly fouled in the build up to the penalty so it was all irrelevant.

45 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Gogic was clearly fouled in the build up to the penalty so it was all irrelevant.

Had the ball gone in, var probably checks that and awards a foul. But because it ends up with a penalty that doesn't get checked. Pretty sure that happened to us earlier in the season too (St Johnstone maybe?). I get that a line had to be drawn somewhere but it does seem quite cruel.

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

Noticeable difference in the number of draws. We're better this season, I don't think there's any argument of that.

Winning 1 in 3 and losing 2 is better than drawing 2 and losing 1, yet so many managers in this division seems to think settling for a draw is better than pushing for a win.

Think Goodwin fits one method while Robinson the other, so thats where the improvement is seen.

Edited by RandomGuy.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Winning 1 in 3 and losing 2 is better than drawing 2 and losing 1, yet so many managers in this division seems to think settling for a draw is better than pushing for a win.

Think Goodwin fits one method while Robinson the other, so thats where the improvement is seen.

The quality of our play is on a different level under SR.

At least now we create chances far more often and are much better to watch.

The home form too is so much improved and is well appreciated by fans.

5 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Odd comment from Robinson here. He's doing a great job, no question, and we're a better team now than when he took over but I'm pretty sure we were 6th in the league when he took over last year.

Screenshot_20230212_095131_Chrome.jpg

Possibly more along the lines of personnel, mindset, overall mental strength of the squad? 

Regardless of the nominal differences in points between this season and last at this point, it's clear to see that the squad are happy and we appear less fragile than we did last season which was evident in the long run of poor results (1 win in 9 or something) we went on after Robinson took charge.

Edited by djchapsticks

57 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Possibly more along the lines of personnel, mindset, overall mental strength of the squad? 

Regardless of the nominal differences in points between this season and last at this point, it's clear to see that the squad are happy and we appear less fragile than we did last season which was evident in the long run of poor results (1 win in 9 or something) we went on after Robinson took charge.

It's one of those where the facts can mislead, and you need to appreciate the nuances. We had gone on a good little run, but it was incredibly flattering to both us and Goodwin.

I was raging at Robinson early on because he appeared to tinker with what looked like a winning formula. But with hindsight you can see he was correct. The squad was flawed, had been assembled to play 3-5-2, but hadn't been adequately coached to play that formation in an effective way.

I think when Robinson says look how far we've come, all of that must be borne in mind.

Seeing Aaron Mooy yesterday reminded me of the time when we *ahem* 'liberated' a bools trophy down in an Ayr bowling club, managed to get it into the ground and presented him with POTY at Somerset in one of his very first games for us whilst he was warming up.

He must have wondered what the f**k was going on.

Screenshot_20230212-211326_Facebook.thumb.jpg.50a137b5f1c183f205027cd447d04ca0.jpg

13 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Seeing Aaron Mooy yesterday reminded me of the time when we *ahem* 'liberated' a bools trophy down in an Ayr bowling club, managed to get it into the ground and presented him with POTY at Somerset in one of his very first games for us whilst he was warming up.

He must have wondered what the f**k was going on.

Screenshot_20230212-211326_Facebook.thumb.jpg.50a137b5f1c183f205027cd447d04ca0.jpg

That is brilliant 🤣