The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, weebud said:

It's funny how we all see players slightly differently and I wouldn't be rock solid against signing him........I've always thought he looks like he "should" be a decent player but generally seemed to get substituted without actually having a direct result on the game. Other than his screamer last year I can't ever remember a game thinking Kennedy was the standout player either for St Johnstone or Aberdeen against us.

If he rocks up I hope he's the player he looks like he "should" be and that I've been mistaken in my previous thought on him.

I dont know why, or when it started, but you lot had him absolutely rattled to the point he tried far too hard.

One of our games in Paisley saw him spend his time on the pitch determined he was going to beat 3 or 4 players then hit it in the top corner, just total tunnel vision about doing that instead of playing the game. Ended up with him just getting clattered and left on the ground as it was obvious what he was going to do.

27 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I dont know why, or when it started, but you lot had him absolutely rattled to the point he tried far too hard.

One of our games in Paisley saw him spend his time on the pitch determined he was going to beat 3 or 4 players then hit it in the top corner, just total tunnel vision about doing that instead of playing the game. Ended up with him just getting clattered and left on the ground as it was obvious what he was going to do.

That might explain quite a lot.......for whatever reason, he always seemed to beat a guy and fall over, try and hit a worldie or run into a blind alley, all much to the amusement of the crowd (mostly in the West Stand). As I said he looks like he "should" be a player but against us but there was very rarely any end product.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I remember one of the first times Flynn was filling in at full back and he had the cigars out against Kennedy.

what you have mentioned here pretty much summed up his afternoon! 

7 minutes ago, medals said:

Yeah and at one point Goodwin wanted him too

I'm not overly sold on Kennedy, but I would trust Robinson to judge whether he can get the best out of him or not. The main reason I was less keen before was because I knew exactly how Goodwin would play him and it wouldn't work.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Hopefully we're not looking to sign either Kennedy or Watkins.

Agreed, and I would be very surprised if Robinson sees either of them fitting into his preferred formation.

The extension to Robinson's contract has meant he can build a squad around his preferred playing style for the medium-term future. His close season comings and goings will revolve around this style.

I'm personally disappointed that we're losing Joe Shaugnessy, but Robinson obviously saw him as back-up to Gallagher. Dunne is a bomb scare who will be easy to replace, and while the manager would have wished to keep Curtis Main for longer, having a fit-again Ayunga back in the squad will seem like a new signing. Not much to worry about in losing those three IMO.

More worrying though would be if some bigger fish came along and gobbled up any (or all) of O'Hara, Strain or Baccus. At least each of these would attract a decent fee that could allow us to make improved wage offers to 'freeby' replacements. But not Watkins or Kennedy please !

Speaking of inconsistent wingers, I noticed Dylan Connolly is back in the League of Ireland with Bohemians. 

One of the fastest players I've seen, absolutely terrorised £20m Calvin Bassey in the league cup game when we turned Rangers over.

28 years old and been at about a dozen clubs. 

46 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Speaking of inconsistent wingers, I noticed Dylan Connolly is back in the League of Ireland with Bohemians. 

One of the fastest players I've seen, absolutely terrorised £20m Calvin Bassey in the league cup game when we turned Rangers over.

28 years old and been at about a dozen clubs. 

Coincidentally I just looked him up the other day too as a sponsored his home jersey that season with us and came across it in my drawer.

Thought he was a very useful player

9 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Because Aberdeen rejects haven't previously worked out for us.

One is shite and the other 32 years old.

Neither of them play positions that we desperately require.

Edited by FTOF