The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 minute ago, Hendo said:

If he does go i'd like us to go for a young up and coming manager rather than the usual suspects, someone like Rhys McCabe who has done a very good job at Airdrie.

He's done brilliantly but does he fall into the Ian Murray camp of 'isn't ready'?

Agreed that someone like him instead of a Steve Evans would be far better though.

Scunnered that we're even sitting here discussing this again...we've gone from a manager's graveyard to now getting them poached on the regular.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

He's done brilliantly but does he fall into the Ian Murray camp of 'isn't ready'?

Agreed that someone like him instead of a Steve Evans would be far better though.

Scunnered that we're even sitting here discussing this again...we've gone from a manager's graveyard to now getting them poached on the regular.

Another option might be to offer it to Diarmuid - seems very highly regarded, knows the club and players and i'm sure would be a popular choice, and might be ready to be a manager - he was offered a job with a Northern Irish team last season but preferred to stay.

Might be reading too much into it but he also was on the pitch after the game instead of Robinson the last couple of matches, and has been doing more and more press stuff after games. Maybe a succession plan is already agreed? If so, the more i think about it, i'm all for it. All on board the Diarmuid express!

5 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Another option might be to offer it to Diarmuid - seems very highly regarded, knows the club and players and i'm sure would be a popular choice, and might be ready to be a manager - he was offered a job with a Northern Irish team last season but preferred to stay.

Might be reading too much into it but he also was on the pitch after the game instead of Robinson the last couple of matches, and has been doing more and more press stuff after games. Maybe a succession plan is already agreed? If so, the more i think about it, i'm all for it. All on board the Diarmuid express!

If Robinson does leave I would be trying to convince Diarmuid to stay and take over, I’m sure a club in Ireland made an approach for him to be their manager not long ago but he rejected it to stay with us as number 2, I believe he wants to be a number 1 eventually though. 

He knows the club, the payers and how they tick, what system works etc, it would be a no brainer if you ask me.

44 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I will say on the chance that there is truth and this and Robinson does go to Hibs, the following folk from the usual candidates list can f**k soundly off:

Jack Ross
Robbie Neilson
Neil Lennon

Thank you.

Ross wouldn't want it anyway. He's got a cushy number at Newcastle.

Neilson is the only one on that list i reckon would be a possibility. Tam Courts might be mentioned too.

13 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

What website is this from and what are the rules surrounding the solidarity fee? 

Looking to share this info with someone else.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/solidarityFeeCalculator/index

6 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Ross wouldn't want it anyway. He's got a cushy number at Newcastle.

Neilson is the only one on that list i reckon would be a possibility. Tam Courts might be mentioned too.

O’Carrol is a no brainer. He’s very highly thought of around the club, the players love him and he is a coach for Northern Ireland.

3 minutes ago, McG said:

O’Carrol is a no brainer. He’s very highly thought of around the club, the players love him and he is a coach for Northern Ireland.

Aye, I'd be happy with that. I wasn't touting either of them for the gig, just thinking of who might be linked.

Hiring the assistant after your Northern Irish manager leaves within a year of taking you to the highest finish you've had in decades, for a club where its clear things will be a disaster and he'll get no patience, is a dreadful idea, I'd avoid it.

Just now, Sortmeout said:

I’ve done a bit of reading on this but does this not end when a player reaches 23? 

Sure it ends the first season that starts after they turn 23. 

I don't see Robbo being interested in the Hibs job at this time. Window shut and stuck with someone else's squad at a club that shows little patience with managers and seems to give less input than he gets in Paisley. 

Not surprised Hibs are interested. Yes money talks. I think there is more to Robinson than many imagine. I believe Robinson it's a project. It's a project that is working. To grow attendances with success on the pitch is brilliant. I think Robinson will stay with Saints he is a smart cookie. He has built a good team, a team that could win a cup. Get into Europe by league position I think is possible. Robinson will stay. 

Why always us?

There are plenty managers around doing a decent job at the moment. McInnes, Martindale in our league, then you get other good shouts like Lennon and Brown for differing reasons. But naw, let’s go an get the St. Mirren manager. 
Arguably it shows a real lack of imagination on the part of Hibs too.

Just f**k off and leave us alone for 2 minutes. 

By the way, I know he’s no away yet 🤣