The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

Good point. I always forget about the issue with their seasons. 

What do you make of McGrath now? I can't help but feel wide left isn't his best position, but if we're going to up top then obviously something has to give.

Also, general prediction: Morias will start next week, too, but out wide in a 4-5-1/4-2-3-1. Dennis will remain on the bench and McGrath will play behind Obika, and Saints social media will explode at 2pm on Saturday.

I've been impressed with him. Think his retention of the ball is good and he's trying things that could potentially unlock defences.

Needs one or two things to come off for him though to get his head up. He's definitely one of the biggest attacking threats we have in the side just now.

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Good point. I always forget about the issue with their seasons. 

What do you make of McGrath now? I can't help but feel wide left isn't his best position, but if we're going to up top then obviously something has to give.

Also, general prediction: Morias will start next week, too, but out wide in a 4-5-1/4-2-3-1. Dennis will remain on the bench and McGrath will play behind Obika, and Saints social media will explode at 2pm on Saturday.

I think we will start with one up front in Perth Obika. Further in the game changes will be made to have two strikers up front that would be Dennis he is a proven goal scorer.  

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Formerly or currently? Because I'm steering clear of Twitter for a while if we're signing another Dundalk player 😂

Formerly of Dundalk 😉 currently a free agent after his release from a London based club. Some other bugger will no doubt suss it out and let the cat out of the bag.🤣

14 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Formerly of Dundalk 😉 currently a free agent after his release from a London based club. Some other bugger will no doubt suss it out and let the cat out of the bag.🤣

Ah, fair enough. I think I've got there. I'll not say just in case.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

I've been impressed with him. Think his retention of the ball is good and he's trying things that could potentially unlock defences.

Needs one or two things to come off for him though to get his head up. He's definitely one of the biggest attacking threats we have in the side just now.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. I think he definitely deals with the ball in tight spaces as well as anyone we've got, apart from maybe Flynn. I think he's got a bit of strengthening up to do still, too, but that will come. I'd love to see him playing with some really good movement in front of/around him. It's a shame the Diamond is a bit of a duff system as in some ways that would be ideal.

I think we will start with one up front in Perth Obika. Further in the game changes will be made to have two strikers up front that would be Dennis he is a proven goal scorer.  

I hope we don’t. Having watched past 2 St Johnstone games, they are absolutely hopeless. They’ve shown nothing to make us think about a formation change. I hope Goodwin’s hand is forced a bit with a missing centre half and Foley likely to play there. I’d go 4-4-2 with Dennis & Obika up front. Morias works hard and gets in decent positions but misses relatively easy chances, loads bemoaned Mullen for exactly that. Hopefully Durmas is fit to play on the left and McGrath on the right. They both can carry the ball well and get us up the park.

3 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

I hope we don’t. Having watched past 2 St Johnstone games, they are absolutely hopeless. They’ve shown nothing to make us think about a formation change. I hope Goodwin’s hand is forced a bit with a missing centre half and Foley likely to play there. I’d go 4-4-2 with Dennis & Obika up front. Morias works hard and gets in decent positions but misses relatively easy chances, loads bemoaned Mullen for exactly that. Hopefully Durmas is fit to play on the left and McGrath on the right. They both can carry the ball well and get us up the park.

I like your positivity did you watch the full 90min. I only seen highlights but going on reports read St Johnstone played very well against Hibs . Perth is not a place I ever feel confident going too. Maybe what I wrote reflected that. I would take any result there. The last  league game we won in Perth was season 2014/15  the last win before that was season 2012. Not a happy hunting ground for us. Of course my fingers will be crossed.  

12 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Believe the player in question is without a club but was in England previously.

Makes sense, I've no doubt we'll be using LoI as a market to dip into again but you need to pay fees in summer for players as their contracts run through to 1st January.

I think I may have worked it out.

Do his initials spell the name of one half of a well known TV presenting duo? 

9 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I think I may have worked it out.

Do his initials spell the name of one half of a well known TV presenting duo? 

Erm, not that I can think of, though his surname sounds familiar to one of them if it's the duo I'm thinking of. :lol:  

7 hours ago, Sinner-to-Saint said:

Our long-sleeved home shirts have sold out in large and medium. Does anybody know whether more are likely to be arriving?

That question popped up last week. The club have to order a minimum number. Club told  a guy on Facebook they would not order anymore as they would be left with stock.  If I remember right the minimum figure was in the 30's. 

3 hours ago, Burnbanksaint said:

Why dont you ask the club think they would be more likely to know 

How would you have expected the club to answer at midnight? If you don't know that answer, why not just ignore the question instead of being an abrasive bellend?

1 hour ago, ZingaliMan said:

That question popped up last week. The club have to order a minimum number. Club told  a guy on Facebook they would not order anymore as they would be left with stock.  If I remember right the minimum figure was in the 30's. 

Thanks. That's disappointing. Given the number of takeaways I've been eating during lockdown, I'll soon fit into a XL, anyway. 

1 hour ago, Sinner-to-Saint said:

How would you have expected the club to answer at midnight? If you don't know that answer, why not just ignore the question instead of being an abrasive bellend?

Thanks. That's disappointing. Given the number of takeaways I've been eating during lockdown, I'll soon fit into a XL, anyway. 

Lol I started a training routine last week. Slowly getting there but have cut out some favourites, cheese , bread, beer. Though I'm sure beer will start again in September if we get back in the stadium to watch games. Wondering how many will be allowed in ? 

Lol I started a training routine last week. Slowly getting there but have cut out some favourites, cheese , bread, beer. Though I'm sure beer will start again in September if we get back in the stadium to watch games. Wondering how many will be allowed in ? 

If you are a season ticket holder, you have a chance and even at that, its looking doubtful even all season ticket holders will be allowed in at one time.

I'm considering exceptional methods like intermittent fasting, or even alternative days fasting. Also looking to reduce the carbs. 

I heard a rumour that the upcoming Motherwell/Celtic game was going to permit entry to a limited number of fans, but now I'm assuming it's not true, as heard nothing more. It would be too difficult to arrange social distancing, so don't see it happening until we reach the next stage, but hope I'm wrong.

Edited by Sinner-to-Saint