The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, ulysses said:

Reads to me like he knows exactly who it is he's after and is pretty far down the line with it rather than just adding another player. 

Just as he's saying he's wanting the finances signed off and deal done this coming week. Must mean we've spoken with the player in question of he's confident of getting it done that quickly. 

If I had to guess, I'd say defensive cover, one that can play either side of full back. While we have a few that can play in central defence should McCarthy and/or Shaughnessy get injured but if Tait was to pick up a knock, then we'd be struggling to cover the position.

Was disappointing when we went down to ten men. You have to step up a gear. Get the ball fellow players have to work hard by moving into space . You have to keep the ball and work it. At least that what I was taught playing the game. Not kicking it into no man's land for the opposition to gain possession.  Keep thinking we have something special going on only to be disappointed.  Early days still work needed to get into the top six. Fingers crossed buds. 

7 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Was disappointing when we went down to ten men. You have to step up a gear. Get the ball fellow players have to work hard by moving into space . You have to keep the ball and work it. At least that what I was taught playing the game. Not kicking it into no man's land for the opposition to gain possession.  Keep thinking we have something special going on only to be disappointed.  Early days still work needed to get into the top six. Fingers crossed buds. 

Disagree, if it’s not for a double deflection we walk away with a 1-0 win and praise for game management.

the two banks of four were tight and didn’t give them much to play with. It have been good to maybe take Junior off and add a wide player in, but we didn’t have that luxury on the bench.

20 hours ago, ulysses said:

Finding it a bit bizarre the rush to make signings.

There's obviously a middle ground between St Mirren finalising all their signings before the end of August, and us signing literally nobody, but the window is running until mid-October this season and the majority of English clubs haven't even decided on their squads for next season yet.

Add in a squad size limit for the Championship for the first time, and wage caps for League One/Two, and there will be genuine quality available near the end.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

There's obviously a middle ground between St Mirren finalising all their signings before the end of August, and us signing literally nobody, but the window is running until mid-October this season and the majority of English clubs haven't even decided on their squads for next season yet.

Add in a squad size limit for the Championship for the first time, and wage caps for League One/Two, and there will be genuine quality available near the end.

While I agree with not rushing, there's also an argument to be made for getting the squad as strong as possible while other teams are waiting around. On current form - and I understand that's partly crazy after four games - we could be in a better position by the end of October than we've ever been at that stage in my living memory. 

Given we only have the wage for one more player - if that - then we might as well move if the right guy comes in. 

Ignoring the hubristic top six bantz, we're still basically aiming to stay up. With no Hearts or Dundee, we might not be able to rely on an absolute basket case team this year. These early points could be critical especially as we're usually absolute gash before Christmas.

Edited by Coventry Saint

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Rush, imo, is the wrong word to use as it suggests that due diligence hasn't been done. It's quite clear that Goodwin is someone who likes to identify targets and his business done early. He lamented that he was rushed into signings last season.

The only player signed this season you could maybe claim has been "rushed" is Tait, who became available at short notice, but he would have been a player Goodwin had experience of, and has certainly been an excellent addition.

Disagree, if it’s not for a double deflection we walk away with a 1-0 win and praise for game management.
the two banks of four were tight and didn’t give them much to play with. It have been good to maybe take Junior off and add a wide player in, but we didn’t have that luxury on the bench.

Amazed at the amount of our fans that seem to be implying that at 1-0 up and down to 10 men we should have been playing some kind of attacking football.

No, we should have been max shit housing to hold on. Seems like it didn’t work this time due to a bit of bad luck but it certainly isn’t the wrong strategy.

36 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

While I agree with not rushing, there's also an argument to be made for getting the squad as strong as possible while other teams are waiting around. 

Thats fair, as it could see you in a strong position by the end of October, but there will still be a fair chunk of the season left by then.

52 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We have a squad of 24 players. Three of whom, Jamieson, Henderson and Jack  were promoted from the development squad and have little or no real 1st XI experience.

We currently have five players,  Durmus, Thorvaldsson, McAllister, Flynn and Magennis who are injured. I'm presuming that Shaughnessy will be suspended next week and for the following game v Hibs.

Unless the injured players recover we'll be down the bare bones again.

We need experienced bodies,  and we also need pace in our side as we don't have any forwards who have a sustained burst of speed.

However, as others have intimated Goodwin has been identifying his potential targets since the turn of the year, and if one of them becomes available, he will be well placed to sign them.

Having said all of that, our ball retention is absolutely shit, as we give the ball away far too easily. That needs sorted pronto, as it just invites the opposition to put us under pressure.

Edited by FTOF

14 minutes ago, FTOF said:

We have a squad of 24 players. Three of whom, Jamieson, Henderson and Jack  were promoted from the development squad and have little or no real 1st XI experience.

We currently have five players,  Durmus, Thorvaldsson, McAllister, Flynn and Magennis who are injured. I'm presuming that Shaughnessy will be suspended next week and for the following game v Hibs.

Unless the injured players recover we'll be down the bare bones again.

We need experienced bodies,  and we also need pace in our side as we don't have any forwards who have a sustained burst of speed.

However, as others have intimated Goodwin has been identifying his potential targets since the turn of the year, and if one of them becomes available, he will be well placed to sign them.

Having said all of that, our ball retention is absolutely shit, as we give the ball away far too easily. That needs sorted pronto, as it just invites the opposition to put us under pressure.

Flynn will help with the bit in bold; obviously he's still a wee way off. McGrath is ok at it sometimes, but he wasn't as effective yesterday. I also get the impression that's not really Dennis's game either. 

I think we're going to set up as a counter-attacking team, especially if we're playing 4-4-2. Hence the need for a bit more pace.

1 minute ago, GAD said:

Nah, I think you are right. We have a lot of graft and fight in the midfeild, but we've got nobody who can really pass the ball.

McGrath is a good passer of the ball, but we need other midfielders to be more composed.

Certainly Flynn and Magennis would certainly help in there, but in their absence, the current players need to do better.

Is it bizarre? I mean, the games have begun. Shall we wait till October when 25% of the season has gone before we finish our squad?

With bedding in and a pre season (the lower league English players won’t have played since March) you’re looking at December till they’re match fit to come into a league that’s been rolling since August.

Seems bizarre to wait to me.

1 hour ago, jm1 said:

Any news on why Durmus didn't even make the bench yesterday?

Obvious answer would be that both he and Thorvaldsson are injured.

Remember, Sheron missed the first game due to injury and there was no comment from the management team.