Celtic in Europe - 17/18

TheCelt67

Just now, ancientnoise said:

Are you missing the point OP?

This one... "it would have made for a far more interesting night in the last group game"

Yeah it would’ve. If a lot of other things that didn’t happen happened the last group game would’ve been interesting too. The fact remains Anderlecht’s result tonight was the same as we achieved against Bayern at home.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Anderlecht conceded less over two games against PSG than Celtic did, and Anderlecht are absolutely rancid.

Rodgers is tactically inept, and him setting up a selection of eleven players light years ahead of the competition in an attacking formation won't change that. You're never not conceding against PSG, but theres no reason you can't actually make a decent game of it for the majority, and then maybe succumb at the end. For the game to be over after twenty minutes, again, is awful management.

I honestly think there's a chance Anderlecht will still go through, solely because Rodgers will have too much naivety/pride to keep things tight and play for a draw. 

8 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I honestly think there's a chance Anderlecht will still go through, solely because Rodgers will have too much naivety/pride to keep things tight and play for a draw. 

don't worry, it will be ok

36 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

If we set up like we normally would, I believe we will win.  If we set up for the draw, I believe it'll invite Anderlecht to attack and since they have nothing to lose, put us under some serious pressure.

21 minutes ago, daresaints said:

Shambles of a performance from Celtic  - poor all over the park.  Broony had a hand in both opening goals and simply doesn’t have the legs for European football. Still at least it was only 12-1 over the two games .

To be fair, is PSG wanted it, they could have had 12-1 tonight.

16 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

i think we need a better goalkeeper

Agreed.

We've sent teams far worse than that away in Europe and I've never seen us carved open, so consistently the way we have the last few 'glamour' away games.

Rodgers can't just keep going with the same approach then claiming progress. We can at least try to shitfest our way to a more respectable. It wouldn't be pretty, but then again, neither is 7-1. Teams in Ligue 1 that are worse than us have managed to avoid that level of scudding because they adapt what they have to suit who they're playing.

This is something Rodgers has been accused of his whole managerial career - the lack of a Plan B and apparent inability to put a team out to do anything other than all out attack. It almost won him a title at Liverpool because he had a Suarez and eventually lost him his job there. Time for him to reassess things, if he doesn't want to beat his own record again (that could have been a lot more than 7 tonight)

47 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:

We've sent teams far worse than that away in Europe and I've never seen us carved open, so consistently the way we have the last few 'glamour' away games.

Rodgers can't just keep going with the same approach then claiming progress. We can at least try to shitfest our way to a more respectable. It wouldn't be pretty, but then again, neither is 7-1. Teams in Ligue 1 that are worse than us have managed to avoid that level of scudding because they adapt what they have to suit who they're playing.

This is something Rodgers has been accused of his whole managerial career - the lack of a Plan B and apparent inability to put a team out to do anything other than all out attack. It almost won him a title at Liverpool because he had a Suarez and eventually lost him his job there. Time for him to reassess things, if he doesn't want to beat his own record again (that could have been a lot more than 7 tonight)

Celtic have not got the players to play a defensive approach,even if we played bitton and kouassi instead of Mcgregor and ntcham  in the middle PSG would still cut through Celtic.
Celtic have forward thinking midfield players that's why we score so many goals,Brendan's Celtic play's on the front foot i don't want to see 4 Neil Lennon type players across the park.
 The only criticism i have of Rodgers is when lustig got injured could have put Mcgregor at right back and brought Armstrong on.

56 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

i think we need a better goalkeeper

I agree but I wouldn't see the point. You'll still do the treble with Gordon In goals and reach next season's group stage. Buying a better goalie wouldn't do any good unless It was Neuer or De Gea.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Rodgers presides over domestic domination, but has been responsible for probably the most embarrassing results in Celtic 's history.

How long will the unwashed give him ? Does he get extra leeway because his name is Brendan ?

Celtic have not got the players to play a defensive approach,even if we played bitton and kouassi instead of Mcgregor and ntcham  in the middle PSG would still cut through Celtic.
Celtic have forward thinking midfield players that's why we score so many goals,Brendan's Celtic play's on the front foot i don't want to see 4 Neil Lennon type players across the park.
 The only criticism i have of Rodgers is when lustig got injured could have put Mcgregor at right back and brought Armstrong on.

Considering Rodgers has multiple millions to spend every window, it's not really an excuse. Everyone and their dog can see you've absolutely no quality in depth in defence, yet his complete arrogance means he refuses to do anything about it.

Rodgers presides over domestic domination, but has been responsible for probably the most embarrassing results in Celtic 's history.
How long will the unwashed give him ? Does he get extra leeway because his name is Brendan ?

He'll get as long as he wants because Celtic fans are utterly delighted to be big fish in a small pond. The fact they've been utterly destroyed multiple times under him, yet the fans still scramble about to make excuses, highlights that.

21 minutes ago, Moonglum25 said:

But Rodgers said that they would fear Celtic's history - perhaps he should realise that history is yesterday's news and what happens today is what counts. Perhaps PSG did fear their history and that is what kept the score reasonable!

Except he didn’t say that at all.

Celtic defence almost every week faces 1 attacker in Scotland running after a hopeful punt up the park. They will always struggle against a side who dominate possession, are camped in the Celtic half and play with a quality front 3.

European football shows Scottish teams how poor they are.

That was quite amusing. Celtic had no alternative game plan. The players didn't have a clue as the goals were flying in. GIRUY. Had to laugh at the commentators highlighting the financial gulf. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

48 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Celtic defence almost every week faces 1 attacker in Scotland running after a hopeful punt up the park. They will always struggle against a side who dominate possession, are camped in the Celtic half and play with a quality front 3.

European football shows Scottish teams how poor they are.

Celtic are a second rate side in a third rate league. Not really any more to it than that.

You do have to wonder what it will take before Rodgers realises that they cannot try to go toe to toe with teams who are that much better than them. In some ways it is admirable but mostly it is fucking mental.

Biggest issue for me was the complete lack of leadership and organisation at the back. Brown was awful and Boyata in particular was well out of his depth. If Celtic don't spend some of that European money on a far superior centre half to anything they have, as well as a competent right back, they deserve everything they get in games like last nights.

Archived