Dundee United 2017/2018

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Gms had already spent a fair amount of time down in England beforehand had he not? His time at Airdrie was always a stepping stone to a bigger club, you didn't turn him into anything.

C'mon mate, that's a loada shite.

Yes, he spent a bunch of time in England (5 years in fact), where he achieved the sum total of f**k all, not making 1 single senior appearance for either Liverpool or Fulham.

He was such a spectacular success in England, where clearly he had learned his craft so well, that the best move he could manage was part time football for a 3rd tier club in Scotland where his 19 appearances and 0 goals helped Airdrie to finish a mighty 6th place in the league.

United came calling and all of sudden he becomes a player, along with all the rest that we eventually  sold for fucking millions, (albeit we only got £250k for him as his contract was about to expire), who gets his big move to Celtic.

The press (even the west coast media) were going mental about our development policy at the time and the constant stream of quality coming out of Tannadice. 

As for where it all went wrong..... Please see above 

Personally, and there was also chat like this on the 'Project Brave' thread, it is difficult to claim ownership over a player's development because of so many different factors. Someone like Armstrong you could argue in United's favour because he was, I think, 17 when he joined the club. For me that is probably roughly the age where you would start to argue the case that a player like that is pretty close to being a "product of the youth system". I don't think United can take much credit for GMS or someone like Andy Robertson because our 'development' of these players was to simply expose them to first team football and give them an opportunity (did GMS really benefit from the outstanding coaching at Tannadice?)

Two things are important for the here and now. Firstly, United's current youth setup is distinctly average and secondly 'Project Brave' is going to f**k us all.

Yes, he spent a bunch of time in England (5 years in fact), where he achieved the sum total of f**k all, not making 1 single senior appearance for either Liverpool or Fulham.
He was such a spectacular success in England, where clearly he had learned his craft so well, that the best move he could manage was part time football for a 3rd tier club in Scotland where his 19 appearances and 0 goals helped Airdrie to finish a mighty 6th place in the league.
United came calling and all of sudden he becomes a player, along with all the rest that we eventually  sold for fucking millions, (albeit we only got £250k for him as his contract was about to expire), who gets his big move to Celtic.
The press (even the west coast media) were going mental about our development policy at the time and the constant stream of quality coming out of Tannadice. 

That's showing your ignorance more than anything tbh, he was reasonably highly rated at both Liverpool and Fulham put paid to that, due to his rather shocking injury record managers of full time sides were unwilling to either give him the game time or patience required, to his credit GMS went for a team lower down the pyramid where he then scored a couple of times, played well and got his move.

Trying to make out that you made GMS is mental.

1 hour ago, MacArab said:

Did he not score a couple of goals for Airdrie in the cup mate ?

As to your main point, I wouldn't say Utd made GMS but you defo played a key part in his development. There can be no doubt over that ?

Fair points all, and apologies, missed GMS' goals in the cup.

Point I was making  was, that like a lot of other players at the time, GMS came out of United in a far better place than he went in, and some (happy to concede not all) credit should be given to United for that.

Easy to make judgements based on stats (as I did there), but happy to be corrected by those with a deeper knowledge of GMS' early career than me.

In the words of Ebbe Skovdahl - "Statistics are like Mini-skirts; they give you good ideas but hide the most important things". 8)

The truth is GMS was always a decent player. He never had a run of games. Airdrie gave that to him and united continued it. I don’t think you can claim that United made him a player. If anything, airdrie should probably take more credit for him and i am nae even doing that

2 hours ago, Aufc said:

The truth is GMS was always a decent player. He never had a run of games. Airdrie gave that to him and united continued it. I don’t think you can claim that United made him a player. If anything, airdrie should probably take more credit for him and i am nae even doing that

Following the post you have quoted, and listening to the opinions of others I have happily made concessions about the extent of United's influence on GMS' career. (Please see above). 

I do find it difficult to concede though,  that the 20 odd games he played for Airdrie in the third tier had more influence over his development and career, than the 5 years he spent at United playing first team football in the top tier, during a time that young players were being given an opportunity at the club.

Credit to Airdire for discovering and taking a punt on him, but I feel there is more to it than that.

As always though this is just my opinion, and differing opinions are what make life intersting. (PnB would be boring as f**k if we all agreed on everything) ;)

Its funny reading all this about who developed who and what club should take credit etc. 

We made a mint off some boys who were coached in our youth team and others who we took a chance on and had more faith in than other clubs. Thats really it. Its about clubs having managers and coaches that see attributes in players and build on that.

These players that came to us did so as we had a reputation of letting them play and selling them on when the time was right for both parties ( minus the Tim two).

We picked GMS up from a smaller team and put him on a bigger stage with better players and played to his strengths and there wasnt a more enjoyable player to watch at times (till Mcnamara came in). We brought the best out in him and thats why Celtic bought him. 

All the clubs he's been at helped develop him but, so far, we got the most out of him. We made him the player that had the good reputation.

2 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Its funny reading all this about who developed who and what club should take credit etc. 

We made a mint off some boys who were coached in our youth team and others who we took a chance on and had more faith in than other clubs. Thats really it. Its about clubs having managers and coaches that see attributes in players and build on that.

These players that came to us did so as we had a reputation of letting them play and selling them on when the time was right for both parties ( minus the Tim two).

We picked GMS up from a smaller team and put him on a bigger stage with better players and played to his strengths and there wasnt a more enjoyable player to watch at times (till Mcnamara came in). We brought the best out in him and thats why Celtic bought him. 

All the clubs he's been at helped develop him but, so far, we got the most out of him. We made him the player that had the good reputation.

Great post!!!

And then went doon [emoji23]

In other news, Garry Kenneth now works for DPD.
the guy is still only 30
5a21906be131b_Screenshot(705).png.47fe60c5f3c4fa0cc45b2be2543ce201.png

How did his career go down hill so fast? Whilst his Scotland call ups might have been a little fortunate he was a decent player at one point, it's not like he has acted the same way as riorden/O'Conner .

Archived