Dundee United 2017/2018

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 hour ago, RossDee01 said:

2 years on and the Dayglo's are still struggling to come to terms with the power shift. Just remember when it all started, gents.

067_324__mcpake_1439326619_standard.jpg

f**k all to do with that!!! Can't allow you to take credit for that! Here's when it started.

IMG_0055.JPG

5 hours ago, Sir Peh McBridie said:

What a depressing picture.

And Magners is shite as well.

Appreciate this, and apologies for putting this horror show on our thread.

I just couldn't stand by and watch the Dees taking credit for something we did all by ourselves....... :unsure2:

22 hours ago, MacArab said:

f**k all to do with that!!! Can't allow you to take credit for that! Here's when it started.

IMG_0055.JPG

With hindsight it was crazy to sell two players who were still under contract to a team you were challenging at the time.  Actually, hindsight has nothing to do with it!

1 hour ago, Shadow Play said:

With hindsight it was crazy to sell two players who were still under contract to a team you were challenging at the time.  Actually, hindsight has nothing to do with it!

Absolutely, but at least we fully acknowledge that our (temporary) visit to the lower leagues is 100% due to idiocy from within, as opposed to the Sevconian hordes, who blame every other c**t (especially us :thumsup2) for what happened to them......

#youfuckedyourselves

31 minutes ago, MacArab said:

Absolutely, but at least we fully acknowledge that our (temporary) visit to the lower leagues is 100% due to idiocy from within, as opposed to the Sevconian hordes, who blame every other c**t (especially us :thumsup2) for what happened to them......

#youfuckedyourselves

At the time of the sale quite a few United fans thought the sale of GMS and Armstrong was a great piece of business.  The argument was that there were numerous other young players ready to take their place.  

In fact I think you’ll still find quite a few United fans that defend Thompson’s decision to sell GMS and Armstrong to Celtic.

16 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

At the time of the sale quite a few United fans thought the sale of GMS and Armstrong was a great piece of business.  The argument was that there were numerous other young players ready to take their place.  

In fact I think you’ll still find quite a few United fans that defend Thompson’s decision to sell GMS and Armstrong to Celtic.

Citation needed

12 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Hmm, Given what has happened to us since, I would find that a difficult argument to uphold. As you mentioned earlier, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I can see why there was a misapprehension that the youth setup would continue to fire out star after star, given the successes we had in Robertson, Gauld, Armstrong etc, but history has proven that the likes of Spittal, Connolly, Fraser etc, who were billed to be the next rising stars, were miles short of being able to fill the gaps left by GMS and Armstrong (and ultimately Ciftci) fucking off. These guys were only made to look good by the space created by GMS and Armstrong being doubled up on by opposing teams week in week out.

Gauld and Robertson were great pieces of business, and we were able to absorb their loss without much obvious effect on performances. The first half of the season after they left we were still outstanding, and challenging Celtic on 3 fronts. 

The sale of those 2 (then Ciftci) sent us into a tailspin we still haven't recovered from.

That being said, I believe that after a few disasters, we have taken the right steps and appointed the right guy to do the job of getting us back up.

I thought the general feeling at the time was that we were selling off the cream of the youth academy far too soon, before they'd had a chance to make a significant impact on the senior team in most cases. 

It seemed like TBS was looking to clear the debt in one fell swoop rather than balancing paying it down with maintaining a strong-ish squad.  He was trying to get the team to a saleable position but, having failed at that, he's now been left with whatever it is we have now.

The biggest problem after selling GMS and Armstrong was recruitment. We sold 2 of the best attacking midfielders in the league and didnt replace them, only bringing in Muirhead (an unproven 19 year old striker costing a decent fee and a large wage) as a last minute deadline panic signing. The problem was that we spent the next couple of seasons bringing in utter shite (Bodul, Sneijder etc etc). We are where we are and deserve to be and its crucial that we get the signings right this transfer window to help get promotion.

2 hours ago, K.T said:

Are you genuinely claiming these stars were the product of your youth setup? Minter.

Unless you think that's all the hard work were done by Brechin boys club (until Gald joined United at the age of 11), and Dyce boys club for Armstrong, before he joined Unbited's youth system aged 17, then yes, I would say that the youth system at United, which sold these 2 boys for a combined total of almost £6,000,000, should take credit.

This is of course not forgetting not forgetting throwaways  like the Soutter boys, who don't really register as the fees we were paid for them were relatively low, (about the same as Dundee got for their 2 star strikers last summer I believe).

This is not a claim, this is fact.

Archived