Cowdenbeath FC. 2017/18 Season

2 hours ago, Cowden loyal brethern said:

So we're shite just close the gates and Chuck away the key  well f**k u you moaning  sods iam no given up yet second best defence in the league just can't score Billy brown knows this they do try na money right I it's hard but never give up or give in cowden till I die

The fact that we don't concede much is a positive if we could actually start scoring I think we would do ok.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

EC  = Elgin city  obviously......

Your thinking because  Jim Weir has left and probably taking a few of their team to Forfar that they'll sink down to the play-off???

I actually hope both Cowdenbeath and obvioulsy my City stay up, so wouldn't mind if that did happen...

Weir has been their most successful manager since they joined the SFL. Before he come in they were struggling and he turned them around. Despite what some Elgin fans have said I think he will be a loss to them.

Obviously depends on who takes over at Borough Briggs, much the same with City. Given their location you don't really know who would want the job. He wouldn't be able to take any of their players until January at the earliest.

2 hours ago, Kelheart said:

Most teams this level have a few shit seasons , Cowden have just fallen through the league's which makes theirs seem worse at mo but they will be safe as think EC are worse 

True most teams go through shit spells every now and again, your right our one has been more dramatic given we've dropped from the Championship.

22 hours ago, Kelheart said:

Get a derby next season if Kelty get promotion though , every cloud n that

A derby with Kelty is bound to happen someday hopefully not for a few seasons yet!, I would be happy with one in the SPFL.  It would be interesting to see what a crowd you would get at one.

So we're shite just close the gates and Chuck away the key  well f**k u you moaning  sods iam no given up yet second best defence in the league just can't score Billy brown knows this they do try na money right I it's hard but never give up or give in cowden till I die

:lol: :lol:

22 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

We've a young team - if we could sneak a win somewhere then confidence would grow and I can see us picking up more points.

Until then though it's 0-1 every week....

Fed up hearing about our young team. If you are good enough you are old enough.

Yes but as young players gain experience and further develop they may become good enough - take Graeme Brown who found goals pretty hard to come by in his first couple of seasons or Darren McGregor who we discarded. A couple of good more experienced players would make a great deal of difference and help the younger lads

9 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

You need the right balance though AC  still need a few "old heads" mixed in with the young guys, no so easy to get those guys in though.

8 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Yes but as young players gain experience and further develop they may become good enough - take Graeme Brown who found goals pretty hard to come by in his first couple of seasons or Darren McGregor who we discarded. A couple of good more experienced players would make a great deal of difference and help the younger lads

Aye your right CC, i've probably watched more of our youth games etc than most over the years. I can remember Broony first coming to us he was always prolific at scoring at that level but took a while for him to do so in the 1st team. 

I can even remember when wee Liam went through a bit of a goal drought in the 1st team, couldn't hit a coos arse with a banjo but once he got a goal his confidence came back and the rest was history.

Best thing that happened to Darren was getting released came back a more calmer player after his 2 years at Arniston. 

Both him and Liam went a long way after starting out playing for us on a Sunday morning either down at Dalgety Bay or Humbug Park:lol:

23 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

A derby with Kelty is bound to happen someday hopefully not for a few seasons yet!, I would be happy with one in the SPFL.  It would be interesting to see what a crowd you would get at one.

It won't happen in the SPFL. Kelty will go bust before they get near the SPFL.

11 hours ago, PELE said:

It won't happen in the SPFL. Kelty will go bust before they get near the SPFL.

Really? It pains me to say as a follower of Cowden that there’s more chance of financial trouble at Cowdenbeath before Kelty. Kelty have various income sources, sponsors, Social Club, good Matchday income from hospitality, modern Stadium that doesn’t cost us money to play in.

Cowdenbeath don’t have any of this apart from probably good loyal sponsors, the previous owners (Brewsters) and to a certain extent McDougall for selling out to non football people have failed the club which is a real shame to see.

2 hours ago, CowdenLoyal said:

Bit harsh. They're going about things the right way unlike a few chancers at other teams in the past.

I wasn't meaning it in a nasty way. Just my opinion. Good luck to them, but it is silly money which is required now just to hover around the trapdoor in the SPFL. I can't see where Kelty will get the necessary finance to reach this level. I believe their match day income has already dropped quite a bit and mot surprising when you consider who is in their league.

2 hours ago, kefc said:

Really? It pains me to say as a follower of Cowden that there’s more chance of financial trouble at Cowdenbeath before Kelty. Kelty have various income sources, sponsors, Social Club, good Matchday income from hospitality, modern Stadium that doesn’t cost us money to play in.

Cowdenbeath don’t have any of this apart from probably good loyal sponsors, the previous owners (Brewsters) and to a certain extent McDougall for selling out to non football people have failed the club which is a real shame to see.

Very true, but Kelty will need a lot of sponsor money to cover the costs of moving up the leagues and I can't see it being sustainable.

1 minute ago, PELE said:

Very true, but Kelty will need a lot of sponsor money to cover the costs of moving up the leagues and I can't see it being sustainable.

Getting Licenced makes the club much more sustainable, trust me.

If we are lucky enough to get promoted to the Lowland League once again that makes the club much more sustainable, same goes if we were ever to reach the SPFL.

If Kelty rise to the LL and then SPFL 2 of course their income will increase, but I think the point Pele is making is that the outgoings have to greatly increase and you aren't any better off( maybe worse off).

introduction of relegation from L2 has driven up spending from teams to avoid going down and driven up wages as a result.

the bottom line is we can't compete as we don't have enough fans, simple as that. Of course the crumbling stadium magnifies this shortfall. A team must need a good 500 regular crowd to be have a fair chance in L2 and 7/800 in league 1. It's no coincidence Arbroath won L2 and must get about 700. Of course sometimes other factors can influence in the short term but in the long term if your support is the smallest you will struggle.

we must be about 300 and it's simply not enough. It's not just the turnstile money that's affected by this. A small support means less people for sponsors, hospitality, volunteers , the list would be long.

kelty have had great success so you would imagine their support is at its peak already, think pele is then inferring is this enough for Kelty to run as a L2 club? ( I don't know Kelty attendances)

6 minutes ago, 1GregStewart said:

If Kelty rise to the LL and then SPFL 2 of course their income will increase, but I think the point Pele is making is that the outgoings have to greatly increase and you aren't any better off( maybe worse off).

introduction of relegation from L2 has driven up spending from teams to avoid going down and driven up wages as a result.

the bottom line is we can't compete as we don't have enough fans, simple as that. Of course the crumbling stadium magnifies this shortfall. A team must need a good 500 regular crowd to be have a fair chance in L2 and 7/800 in league 1. It's no coincidence Arbroath won L2 and must get about 700. Of course sometimes other factors can influence in the short term but in the long term if your support is the smallest you will struggle.

we must be about 300 and it's simply not enough. It's not just the turnstile money that's affected by this. A small support means less people for sponsors, hospitality, volunteers , the list would be long.

kelty have had great success so you would imagine their support is at its peak already, think pele is then inferring is this enough for Kelty to run as a L2 club? ( I don't know Kelty attendances)

Aye the higher up you go the more you spent to stay or try to stay there, when we were in L1 there were clubs in L2 spending similar amounts just to try and avoid 10th place. Probably those to prosper most out of the "pyramid" are lower league players who can now command better wages than they may have in the past when L2 sides wouldn't have spent as much money as they do now.

Been at Kelty at various games but wouldn't know what their true hard core is now in the EOSL they won't be much away fans in that league that's one thing for sure.  Have their crowds peaked - who knows also if they got up to L2 someday would folk pay £12 or would there be the same apathy that we get at times, some folk like EOS, LL and juniors because its a cheap day out.  After a wee buzz last season the novelty of league football has worn off with Edinburgh City fans and their crowds are lower than ours this season! 

32 minutes ago, 1GregStewart said:

Exactly what I was meaning. I wish Kelty all the best, but unless they get some new substantial investment, I don't see how they can afford to move up to SPFL level. Their big hope is that they can do it in straight seasons. The crowds will be poor and they are already out the Scottish Cup, which I am sure they would have been hoping for a run in to get much needed income. It's not easy getting up to the SPFL now without spending big time because of the various play off matches, and you have to win the leagues in order to even get in the play off matches.

Archived