Cowdenbeath FC. 2017/18 Season

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, The_Pit_Owns said:

Cammy Muirhead is a striker. Jack Whittaker is a wide midfielder/winger who broke his foot against Buckie. 

Cheers. I saw Muirhead vs Dundee and thought he looked reasonable. He was at RM tha game. I thought Whittaker was a striker, apologies for the mistake. 

18 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Well that's really cheered me up.

I've tried to be as positive as I can in all of my reviews for all the sides. I think if Cowdenbeath bring in a few more quality and experienced players then you guys have as good a chance as anyone. At the moment, I feel the youthfulness of your squad may be the biggest downfall this term.  

19 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

To be fair apart from getting Cammy and Jack's positions wrong he was pretty much spot on as the squad is young and not much depth. I wouldn't be surprised if we made an addition to the side before the trip to Elgin.

29 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

7 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

To be fair apart from getting Cammy and Jack's positions wrong he was pretty much spot on as the squad is young and not much depth. I wouldn't be surprised if we made an addition to the side before the trip to Elgin.

Hibs young internationalist RB/Centre Mid  Ben Stirling has joined The Blue Brazil on loan.  And yes AC he made the Hibs bench  last month if you are ready to count that as a first team experience.  

1 minute ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

Hibs young internationalist RB/Centre Mid  Ben Stirling has joined The Blue Brazil on loan.  And yes AC he made the Hibs bench  last month if you are ready to count that as a first team experience.  

I knew that when I made my original post BB;) was just waiting on the clubs announcing it officially, he was also on loan at Berwick last season.

Interesting signing, can play centre mid as well as centre half and full back. Recently signed a new contract, keeping him at Hibs until May 2018.

Anybody know what Scot Linton is doing at the moment? He has left Clyde, and was apparently recently training with East Fife. If he is fit, Scotty would be a good experienced player for us - good engine, sweet left foot, can play left back or midfield, and can throw a football right into the opposition penalty area.

39 minutes ago, Kierkegaard said:

Interesting signing, can play centre mid as well as centre half and full back. Recently signed a new contract, keeping him at Hibs until May 2018.

Anybody know what Scot Linton is doing at the moment? He has left Clyde, and was apparently recently training with East Fife. If he is fit, Scotty would be a good experienced player for us - good engine, sweet left foot, can play left back or midfield, and can throw a football right into the opposition penalty area.

Last I heard, Scott was still training with East Fife and looking to sign but was having some trouble shaking off an injury he picked up last season.

From the His website last year: 

Ben Stirling (defender, born: 16.8.1998, Edinburgh)

May said: “Ben came into the Development squad last season and did very well – he is capable of playing in a number of different positions; right-back, centre-half or in midfield.

“He plays for Scotland under-17s in midfield and has the capability to play at a very good level.

“He will be aiming to continue to make strides further forward during the upcoming season and to push Aaron Dunsmore for the right-back spot and eventually challenge for a first team place.”

Matthew McInally suspended for tomorrow - he picked up two bookings for Partick Thistle in the Scottish Youth Cup last season. You get a one match ban for that covering the next game you play in that competition. However, he is now overage so can't serve that ban this season - instead the rule is the ban is then transferred to the League that player is now playing in. Now usually you need 6 SPFL bookings to get a ban but Matthew's ban is for 2 bookings in the youth cup - even more ironically one of the two bookings came when he was playing for Partick v Cowden in the Youth Cup!

How did our keeper do?

Considering we were without McInally, Whittaker, Miller and Rutherford, and had a team full of youngsters, a draw away from home on the first day of the season was pretty respectable. I think this young team will get better with more game time together. They will need a lot of encouragement from the fans, but we have some promising youngsters in the ranks. We could still do with a defensive midfield general - Ovenstone?? - but I'd rather watch a few of these youngsters break through than some of the time-servers we've had.in recent times. David Syme has proved to be a great signing for us.  Am looking forward to the game against Edinburgh City on Saturday.

25 minutes ago, Kierkegaard said:

How did our keeper do?

Considering we were without McInally, Whittaker, Miller and Rutherford, and had a team full of youngsters, a draw away from home on the first day of the season was pretty respectable. I think this young team will get better with more game time together. They will need a lot of encouragement from the fans, but we have some promising youngsters in the ranks. We could still do with a defensive midfield general - Ovenstone?? - but I'd rather watch a few of these youngsters break through than some of the time-servers we've had.in recent times. David Syme has proved to be a great signing for us.  Am looking forward to the game against Edinburgh City on Saturday.

McGovern didn't put a foot wrong and made one brilliant save. People make reference to his height but I don't think it's caused a problem as yet. 

Miller came on as a sub today. 

David Syme is a great player - too good for League 2.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Kierkegaard said:

So Brad Smith isn't signed after all? I thought he looked more than decent.

Brad Smith signed up before the match on Saturday and the deal has since been registered with the SFA. See the  Press release on the Cowden Website. I think the  Minertaur's Dad has been winding up the Minertaur something rotten

Archived