"The ICT Thread - From the Premiership to the Seaside"

Biased because I like the guy but I’m hoping Big Dunc remains as manager and helps The Caley on their mission to immediately return to the Championship. Looking at League 1 next season, it looks a proper dogshit league and I’ll be surprised if Caley aren’t one of the main title contenders. 

• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SandyCromarty

• TheScarf

• RiG

• PB1994

36 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Biased because I like the guy but I’m hoping Big Dunc remains as manager and helps The Caley on their mission to immediately return to the Championship. Looking at League 1 next season, it looks a proper dogshit league and I’ll be surprised if Caley aren’t one of the main title contenders. 

He's far too negative.  As @ICTChris says, he appears to have totally underestimated/miscalculated how teams play in Scotland, not just the Championship.  It's all about high tempo and getting the ball into danger areas, not this pedestrian, possession based, pass it around the back 4/5 for 20 minutes then eventually maybe get the midfield involved.  His style of play negates creating chances.  It's not as if he didn't have Billy McKay, Alex Samuel, Nathan Shaw, David Wotherspoon, Roddy MacGregor, Aaron Doran, Austin Samuels, and Adam Brooks at his disposal since he was appointed.  He needs to go.

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

In Ferguson's defence, he took over when we had one point from six games and a really poor squad.  The signings we have made in the last few years have been dire - we have signed the following players on permanent deals in that time: Jake Davidson, Charlie Gilmour, Adam Brooks, Luis Longstaff, Harry Lodovica, Nathan Shaw, Steven Boyd, Max Ram, Zak Delaney and George Oakley.  Of those players you'd have to say that none of them have been complete successes - Shaw had his moments last season but faded this season and is now injured, Gilmour has shown promise in midfield but again, injured and pushed back too soon.  George Oakley has shown he can do it at this level but didn't get a chance for us because the then DoF signed him and our manager didn't like him.

From the outside I can definitely see why people would ask the question about whether he should automatically be sacked, his points per game was 1.36, which over 36 games would have gained 49 points, a comfortable 5th place finish. Plus his starting point was a team with 1 point from 6 league games, who had lost 3 out of 4 League Cup games, and lost to Arbroath in the Challenge Cup. Despite him arriving early in the season a lot of the damage was clearly done before he arrived, both in terms of squad building and playing catch-up. When you see how tight the league is from 5th to 9th even just losing 5 of the first 6 was a huge disadvantage.

Ultimately he didn't get enough points, and it's impossible to explain away the play-off result, so I totally get why fans want him out (I wouldn't have wanted him to begin with). And as you approached the end of the season knowing more points were needed he surely needed to change things to try and pick up points at a higher rate. Draws killed you and my impression was the same as what's been mentioned that he seemed too satisfied with draws, I remember at one point him boasting how you had only lost 1 game in 6 - what he didn't mention was that 4 of those were draws and you picked up 7 points from that possible 18, which is literally relegation form. When we drew 0-0 in March we weren't far off 9th place and you really needed to win to pull you up and drag us down yet you never really looked that fussed about going for the win, and Ferguson didn't seem bothered afterwards, seeing it as a 'clean sheet and another point' rather than 2 crucial points lost, 2 points which ultimately relegated you.

It's strange because the stereotype I had of him was that he'd be a 'win at all costs' type manager, but clearly his years in the Academy system affected that.

9 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

From the outside I can definitely see why people would ask the question about whether he should automatically be sacked, his points per game was 1.36, which over 36 games would have gained 49 points, a comfortable 5th place finish. Plus his starting point was a team with 1 point from 6 league games, who had lost 3 out of 4 League Cup games, and lost to Arbroath in the Challenge Cup. Despite him arriving early in the season a lot of the damage was clearly done before he arrived, both in terms of squad building and playing catch-up. When you see how tight the league is from 5th to 9th even just losing 5 of the first 6 was a huge disadvantage.

Ultimately he didn't get enough points, and it's impossible to explain away the play-off result, so I totally get why fans want him out (I wouldn't have wanted him to begin with). And as you approached the end of the season knowing more points were needed he surely needed to change things to try and pick up points at a higher rate. Draws killed you and my impression was the same as what's been mentioned that he seemed too satisfied with draws, I remember at one point him boasting how you had only lost 1 game in 6 - what he didn't mention was that 4 of those were draws and you picked up 7 points from that possible 18, which is literally relegation form. When we drew 0-0 in March we weren't far off 9th place and you really needed to win to pull you up and drag us down yet you never really looked that fussed about going for the win, and Ferguson didn't seem bothered afterwards, seeing it as a 'clean sheet and another point' rather than 2 crucial points lost, 2 points which ultimately relegated you.

It's strange because the stereotype I had of him was that he'd be a 'win at all costs' type manager, but clearly his years in the Academy system affected that.

That's the crux of the issue for me.  Academy football and first team football have a clear difference in end goals, if you'll pardon the pun.  I have no idea if he was trying to 'develop' our players, surely he wasn't.  But to appear to care more about the shape and the performance rather than the results is madness and like you say, that's what ultimately relegated us.  

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

You have pretty much nailed it. If he had kept us up I would have been fine with him staying but the reality is that his recruitment in January was absolutely terrible and didn't suit the formation/tactics he wanted to play and the 4 performances in the playoff games were shocking/abysmal/terrible. You would never have believed we were starting that second leg against Hamilton needing 2 goals to stay up. Just looked like a end of season league game were there was nothing to play for and the players were looking forward to their holidays. 

3 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

You have pretty much nailed it. If he had kept us up I would have been fine with him staying but the reality is that his recruitment in January was absolutely terrible and didn't suit the formation/tactics he wanted to play and the 4 performances in the playoff games were shocking/abysmal/terrible. You would never have believed we were starting that second leg against Hamilton needing 2 goals to stay up. Just looked like an end of season league game were there was nothing to play for and the players were looking forward to their holidays. 

It was 4 absolutely disgusting performances from a group of players, 99% of which clearly weren’t arsed as they knew they were leaving, managed by a guy miles out of his depth, clearly playing for penalties in both ties. A recipe for disaster which has come to pass.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Juanjo Nostalgia said:

Trying and really struggling to pick the worst player on this list. Longstaff, Lodovica, Boyd and Ram all in contention. Boyd probably takes it for me.

Any team that regularly plays Luis Longstaff should be deserving of relegation. He should never of been seen again in these leagues after stinking up league 1 a couple years back. 

Heart of a mouse, ALWAYS cuts back on to his left foot and doesn’t take on a man. Provides zero output for goals and assists. Clear he was only signed based on being on the books at Liverpool, not for his stunning performances in Scotland. Mental it was a two year deal he got 

Edited by qpfc

4 hours ago, qpfc said:

Any team that regularly plays Luis Longstaff should be deserving of relegation. He should never of been seen again in these leagues after stinking up league 1 a couple years back. 

Heart of a mouse, ALWAYS cuts back on to his left foot and doesn’t take on a man. Provides zero output for goals and assists. Clear he was only signed based on being on the books at Liverpool, not for his stunning performances in Scotland. Mental it was a two year deal he got 

Perfect summation of that useless c**t. The fact that Big Dunc kept starting him and relied on him throughout the playoffs is enough to get him binned. 

Initially looks good because he's got a good touch and turn but gets quickly figured out and easily dispossessed. Wants to take it and turn everything fucking tine even if a better option is on in the direction he's already facing. 

Hate the c**t😡

38 minutes ago, fishy said:

Perfect summation of that useless c**t. The fact that Big Dunc kept starting him and relied on him throughout the playoffs is enough to get him binned. 

Initially looks good because he's got a good touch and turn but gets quickly figured out and easily dispossessed. Wants to take it and turn everything fucking tine even if a better option is on in the direction he's already facing. 

Hate the c**t😡

Aye but tell us what you really think about him. 

20 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye but tell us what you really think about him. 

He's not wrong tbf. Waste of a shirt, produces and creates absolutely nothing. 

6 hours ago, qpfc said:

Perfect summation of him. He is the first case of me ever wanting to boo our own player. His performances over the playoffs were beyond tragic - Ferguson deciding to play him over Roddy MacGregor is genuinely what pushed me into the Ferguson must go camp.

When we absolutely battered Raith 0-1 about 6 weeks ago he was brilliant in the first half and since the second half of that game he’s easily been one of the clubs worst ever players. 

Gardiner was at the stadium yesterday.  Hopefully getting told to fuck off for eternity.

Posted (edited)

With just over a week left on this forum, hopefully for now, does this thread get moved to the League 1 forum or do we start a new thread? Caley Thistle - The Astro and Admin Years.

Edited by RiG

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/sport/charlie-christie-ict-need-to-re-engage-with-fans-351355/

There are some very astute and experienced individuals who I know have the club’s best interests at heart and now might be the perfect time to give them more of a voice within ICT.

Maybe the composition of the board is still in play.

From that article it's clear that Charlie Christie is playing politics here by now publicly stating that fans need to be more involved with the club.

Bit fuckin late with that bit of wisdom Charlie when you must have been aware that the fans have been disgruntled and ignored for years with the obvious gap between them and the club.