• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SandyCromarty

• RiG

• TheScarf

• PB1994

9 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Harry Gows is absolute pish. Its only use to the people of Inverness would be for when Raith Rovers come to town, a side known for incredible rates of pie sales. 

As someone from Moray, I have to say Asher's or MacLean's blows Gows right out the water.

Just now, CountyinBorders said:

As someone from Moray, I have to say Asher's or MacLean's blows Gows right out the water.

Macleans or nothing tbh

3 minutes ago, CountyinBorders said:

Wash your mouth out. 

12 hours ago, Connor Macleod said:

🤨It's not hard to understand we got 1 point out of our 1st 5 league games under Dodds we won 1 game in 9 if you include the league cup. Everyone & their dog could see it was time for him to go but Ross Morrison extended his contract cause of the cup final another mistake in a long list of them. 

Dunc was slightly better but not a massive upgrade by any means although he did get 41 points . But as you literally just said 11 hours ago he should've kept us up & you explained rather well why we think he's a poor manager 

If he joined us at the start of the season we probably would've finished 8th or 7th certainly nothing spectacular though. If we got someone else in say Imrie we probably would've finished higher.

Amongst all the ICT shenanigans this week, I listened to the ICT fans podcast that interviewed, Dodd's assistant, Barry Wilson. I thought he was quite honest and made some fair points about how/why they started last season so poorly.

No counterfactuals to put any weight on his comments about the potential for this season. But they tallied 55 and 59 points in their 2 full seasons both of which included some terrible runs of results. Given their track record of putting good runs together, it doesn't seem unreasonable to think Dodds/Wilson would have managed to pull it together had they stayed (even if the product wasn't to everyones liking).

Dodds 1.49 points per game over 77 league games. Ferguson 1.37 points per game over 30 games. Surprised anyone is looking at the style under Ferguson, the limp relegation, and those data points and thinking he was an improvement over Dodds.

14 hours ago, Spyro said:

There is a workable company there once the silly debts are under control and the people's daft aspirations of 5k a week managers and full time football are tempered. No reason why ICT can't regroup and live well within it's means with the right people in charge 

Agreed, however there are (and have been for a long time) a band of unrealistic fans who still think its 2015 and we should a Premiership mainstay. Even pushing for admin they expect a meteoric rise again, where the reality is that a sustainable club based on footfall and revenue may be Championship at best with peaks and troughs. Unfortunately we are more likely to be a Morton/Ayr/Falkirk type club than StJ or County (cemented in the Premiership).

Not convinced that after a few years those fans wont turn on the club with this and start questioning why spending or investment isnt more and limits growth (circa where we have been the last 10 years) culminating in further drop offs in footfall (and a perpetuating cycle) - all that if we survive.

Hadn't even thought about Gow's dream rings in decades. I remember everyone being so excited by them at school, and then finally getting around to having one as an adult and being so underwhelmed.

The baker on Tomnahurich Street, now that's a baker. Admittedly I've never tried any of the sweets from them but their sourdough loaf is a thing of wonder.

9 minutes ago, bpdon said:

No counterfactuals to put any weight on his comments about the potential for this season. But they tallied 55 and 59 points in their 2 full seasons both of which included some terrible runs of results. Given their track record of putting good runs together, it doesn't seem unreasonable to think Dodds/Wilson would have managed to pull it together had they stayed (even if the product wasn't to everyones liking).

The level of squad in the first season where we made the play-offs was our best chance of promotion and that was due to the ability of the individuals in the team over the tactics. Following season we got to a SC final but again had some drop off but still good quality players - there was a decline in quality but the standard this season due to budget cuts and poor recruitment was a significant. While we had retained some established decent players much of what came in was dross and others couldnt fill the quality void from those that departed. There was nothing to suggest that Dodds had in his locker the ability to turn it around with that squad or his tactics - noting much of the success we had under Ferguson was due to one player coming in - Wotherspoon.

31 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Agreed, however there are (and have been for a long time) a band of unrealistic fans who still think its 2015 and we should a Premiership mainstay. Even pushing for admin they expect a meteoric rise again, where the reality is that a sustainable club based on footfall and revenue may be Championship at best with peaks and troughs. Unfortunately we are more likely to be a Morton/Ayr/Falkirk type club than StJ or County (cemented in the Premiership).

Not convinced that after a few years those fans wont turn on the club with this and start questioning why spending or investment isnt more and limits growth (circa where we have been the last 10 years) culminating in further drop offs in footfall (and a perpetuating cycle) - all that if we survive.

County will fall into that category too when MacGregor is away.  There's never again going to be a millionaire, who's a County fan, who's happy to write off their debt every year.  Those 3 factors combined into one person is a once in history thing.

1 hour ago, bdu98196 said:

Fans of all clubs have to be optimists to go through what we endure, with our club there is a realistic chance of admin but we are still willing to ride the wave and purchase our season tickets even though the wave will crash on the shore.

Optimism is what keeps us going, here's a little example of optimism;

Friend of mine on a bender and rotten pissed for days wakes up one morning in a daze looks over and beside him is a naked old toothless hag, ffs as he gets out of bed and staggers to the toilet, as he pisses he looks up into the mirror and there,s a string hanging out of his mouth.

His first thought is , 'I hope to feck it's a teabag'.

Now that's optimism.

And that's what we need during these dark days.

I have to stand up for the dream ring here. I think they’re glorious.   Nothing invokes more bloated guilt (and diabetes) than the classic meal of a macaroni pie followed by a dream ring all washed down with a can of full fat irn bru.  

31 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

The level of squad in the first season where we made the play-offs was our best chance of promotion and that was due to the ability of the individuals in the team over the tactics. Following season we got to a SC final but again had some drop off but still good quality players - there was a decline in quality but the standard this season due to budget cuts and poor recruitment was a significant. While we had retained some established decent players much of what came in was dross and others couldnt fill the quality void from those that departed. There was nothing to suggest that Dodds had in his locker the ability to turn it around with that squad or his tactics - noting much of the success we had under Ferguson was due to one player coming in - Wotherspoon.

Aye. Broadfoot and Deas were always going to be hard to replace. Sutherland, Allardice, and Henderson too. Add in the hellish injuries over those seasons and there's a lot of big holes to fill. Squad attrition is always a challenge when you have some relative success, especially for a provincial club.

My point was that I am surprised, even with hindsight, folk still think Ferguson was "slightly better" than Dodd's. I would describe Ferguson as a bit of a disaster in comparison.

37 minutes ago, bpdon said:

My point was that I am surprised, even with hindsight, folk still think Ferguson was "slightly better" than Dodd's. I would describe Ferguson as a bit of a disaster in comparison.

I'm not sure many say Ferguson is or was better, but he probably achieved more points this season than we expect to have attained persevering with Dodds. Unfortunately DF has proven to be inept tactically and out his depth of knowledge and understanding at this level and league.

The drop-off in our squad over the last three years has been massive. Comparing Dodds’ results with Deas, Broadfoot, Walsh, Sutherland, Chalmers, McAlear, Gardyne, etc. to Ferguson’s results with the losers we’ve had this year is not like-for-like.

1 hour ago, bdu98196 said:

he probably achieved more points this season than we expect to have attained persevering with Dodds

Absolutely not. Dodds played attacking football. And all we needed to be higher in the league was a couple of goals. Ferguson could not get us that, as he played every game for a 0-0 draw