"The ICT Thread - From the Premiership to the Seaside"

4 hours ago, Artemis said:

Could they possibly do that under the existing rules by applying Rule D6 which allows them to waive a club’s requirement to meet any part of the membership criteria? So, if the SPFL Board decided to waive the requirement for a Bronze licence (because the only failure was in relation to the 3 year insolvency rule) the club would be allowed to continue in the SPFL in year 2 but with a 5 point deduction? 
Could they argue the rules aren’t inconsistent because the 5 point deduction is there to cover the possibility of a waiver being granted? And isn’t explicitly written into the Rules in respect of Administration because each case is considered on its merits?

Sure, they can do damn near anything they want, but just try explaining a waiver for ICT for being unable to qualify for a Bronze license for three years a couple of months after they deny Buckie Thistle an opportunity to even compete for a spot that requires a Bronze License? I could easily see a solicitor salivating at the idea of having a go at the SPFL with Buckie denied, ICT allowed and a Championship team(s) denied all within a year or so.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SandyCromarty

• RiG

• TheScarf

• PB1994

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ecto said:

Do the squad still become free agents?

I'm certainly not clued up on this but I'm sure the players only became available (free agents) if the club defaults on their wages. 

Edited by chips

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

a couple of months after they deny Buckie Thistle an opportunity to even compete for a spot that requires a Bronze License

All Buckie had to do was apply for an extension by the end of March. That they didn't isn't really the fault of the SPFL.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

Sure, they can do damn near anything they want, but just try explaining a waiver for ICT for being unable to qualify for a Bronze license for three years a couple of months after they deny Buckie Thistle an opportunity to even compete for a spot that requires a Bronze License? I could easily see a solicitor salivating at the idea of having a go at the SPFL with Buckie denied, ICT allowed and a Championship team(s) denied all within a year or so.

Its not a difficult thing to explain.  If teams apply for a waiver it might be granted. If clubs are too incompetent to do so then they won't.

3 hours ago, chips said:

I'm certainly not clued up on this but I'm sure the players only became available (free agents) if the club defaults on their wages. 

Agreed - players don't become free agents just because a club goes into administration.  The Rangers experience shows us what can happen when a club goes into liquidation.  In that case players' employment contracts were transferred to Newco.  However, under the TUPE rules players such as Davis, Naismith and Whittaker exercised their right to object to that transfer and became free agents.   

Sad that the forum's administration vultures - who love financial technicalities and obscure SPFL regulations more than football itself - have cottoned on to this thread. It's going to be a long and tedious road before we are rid of them and can get back to talking about our excessive number of bakeries and our sweet, sugary centre halves.

11 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

All Buckie had to do was apply for an extension by the end of March. That they didn't isn't really the fault of the SPFL.

It’s interesting that Buckie said they were working with the SPFL prior to 31 March, but then the SPFL sudden said “oh, by the way…”

I’m not sure it’s all as clear cut as the SPFL wants everyone to believe, although I’m sure that  a part time team might have easily missed a deadline.

Buckie admitted they missed the deadline, it really couldn't be clearer and they were warned multiple times. The most likely explanation is that they didn't want promotion. They had talked to the SFA but never replied to the SPFL's warnings about the deadline. The Highland League made it clear to them too.

Edited by welshbairn

9 hours ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

Sad that the forum's administration vultures - who love financial technicalities and obscure SPFL regulations more than football itself - have cottoned on to this thread. It's going to be a long and tedious road before we are rid of them and can get back to talking about our excessive number of bakeries and our sweet, sugary centre halves.

Suck it up buttercup, you brought this on yourself 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Buckie admitted they missed the deadline, it really couldn't be clearer and they were warned multiple times. The most likely explanation is that they didn't want promotion. They had talked to the SFA but never replied to the SPFL's warnings about the deadline. The Highland League made it clear to them too.

There's been people on here claiming for a while that Buckie never wanted promotion hasn't there? I'm sure it's been said before the whole fiasco this Summer.

Some irony if Edinburgh City and ICT vanish and Buckie end up promoted alongside East Kilbride.

9 hours ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

I would think that the posters who are providing us with the why's and wherefores, the do's and Don'ts and general whataboutery on administration are so knowledgeable is because their own clubs have been in the same situation or are in danger of going down the same route, herd mentality.

Edited by SandyCromarty

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

There's been people on here claiming for a while that Buckie never wanted promotion hasn't there? I'm sure it's been said before the whole fiasco this Summer.

Some irony if Edinburgh City and ICT vanish and Buckie end up promoted alongside East Kilbride.

If Buckie don't meet the requirements for full SPFL membership and if, hopefully not, Edinburgh City go belly up, I'd imagine the league will invite applications, similar to when Gretna went bust, although admittedly there was no pyramid back then.

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Going by the Challenge Cup invites my bet would be on Cowdenbeath and Albion Rovers.

On 07/06/2024 at 18:32, Rcfc fan said:

See harper set to go to Carlisle, will caley be due a fee? Criminal if not.

thought he may have been a target for us but we are fine in that area with Harmon and Reid 

Done deal, medical already boxed off, would expect Carlisle to announce this week.

Any compensation, if at all, will be minimal.

TGBC

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I would suspect that quite a wildly held view among members of the Highland league is that they would rather not join the national leagues. 

7 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I would suspect that quite a wildly held view among members of the Highland league is that they would rather not join the national leagues. 

I talked to a Buckie director last year who said he had zero interest in promotion, and I've yet to meet a fan who wants it. No way of telling how representative that is, and there's been talk of attitudes changing.