Will be gutted to see him leave. Best player we’ve had at the club for years. It sounds like a very good deal for the club and a good move for him. Also leaves us plenty time to get more players signed with the cash, obviously dependant on him agreeing terms.

Edited by Zing.

8 hours ago, BawWatchin said:

2007: 4.4 million for Scott Brown to Celtic

2018: 4 million for Super John McGinn to Aston Villa

Scottish football really is heading for the doldrums. :(

Brown fee went that high because Celtic and the pre-armageddon **** were in a  bidding war. A few months beforehand, the media were trying to punt Brown and Kevin Thomson (as a pair) for £3M.

I'm also not sure if this Villa bid will materialise. It depends if McGinn wants to go there. He's not shown much interest in Championship teams so far, although obviously Villa have more history / pedigree than most in that division. And possibly more money, as they were recently taken over by new owners.

Just now, BawWatchin said:

I suppose 4k would be enough to add in the additional pieces of lego to complete the stand.

Great stuff - you have just been awarded the contract and we can spend the rest on players.

Head South John, you know it makes sense.

55 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

Brown fee went that high because Celtic and the pre-armageddon **** were in a  bidding war. A few months beforehand, the media were trying to punt Brown and Kevin Thomson (as a pair) for £3M.

I'm also not sure if this Villa bid will materialise. It depends if McGinn wants to go there. He's not shown much interest in Championship teams so far, although obviously Villa have more history / pedigree than most in that division. And possibly more money, as they were recently taken over by new owners.

Brown also wasn't in the last year of his contract.

I think he'd be daft not to go, he will be a starter right away there and they new owners are billionaires who will be wanting to get back into the Premiership right away. Playing in a better league with the chance to get to  the premiership at a club who will be targeting that.