Was there at the HoH day in 90 with a mate. Remember a chant of Mercer GTF after Kenny McLean first said a few words. Joe Baker kissing the turf and Proclaimers going round the touchlines. The feeling against Mercer was intense. I'd been a part time fan before that but was a reg afterwards.  I know most hearts fan were against whatever insanity Mercer was up to but it defo turned up the heat on the rivalry, not helped by us being incapable of beating them. Three derbies stick in my mind from then, the 0-3 at half time when there was fighting on the terraces and a boy charged Robbo on the pitch (I knew the guy that ran on), then the cup game when we'd battered them only for wee Foster to smash n grab.  Was a whole load of paggering after that.  Even going to that game I'd witnessed a couple hearts being set upon by ccs while getting out their car in Leith Walk. The day we beat them 1-0 at Tynecastle I was walking up Dundee Street after the game and was called a f*nian B by some wee scrubber.  Then later on that night I was in a bus going back along Gorgie when a fight erupted, was actually a Hibs mob that started it. The driver pulled up and bolted.  After the Hunter game it all simmered back down. I will never have a good word to say about evil b*****d Mercer but he was thwarted and the club put in safe hands. 

Edited by Snifter Pee Rot

We've sold a decent amount of season tickets and Big Ron put some money in last year.
It's not ideal, but I think we'll be better off than most.
Tbh mate, this is kindae what I'm talking about. A decent number of season tickets absolutely. But it's a third less than last season. And those ST holder going to games and buying stuff the club makes cash out of aren't attending games. There's no gate money at all. Even if we're to put a very positive imagining of Hibs finances together and base it off season tickets we've dropped a third of our income, and that's a best case. We haven't dropped a third of our costs,even with loan players leaving.

I don't think we'll be in any danger as a club, but I do think that our squad this season will have some more players leaving and not being replaced. The owner might well be willing to put money in, but at the moment that's looking like a complete money sink and I have doubts he'd do that. If you've got a firm endpoint then there would be a willingness to do that I think, but we don't know remotely when the club will start to actually generate any income again. Could be October. Could be January. We could get locked down again and this all starts again from the beginning. I don't think putting cash in to cover running costs is something which he'd be willing to fund indefinitely.

The one other thing I'd say is that the problems I think we'll be having will be similar to Hearts and Aberdeen. And dwarfed by Celtic and Rangers issues.

9 hours ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

Purely with the number of season tickets sold and the amount of money freed up with players finishing loans and players being released we’ll be a lot better of than most. 

It’s very important we have a good summer transfer window. We can’t be counting on January to save us again. 

I think we will be in for the most bizarre transfer window in some time.  Every club will need to scale back their ambitions and cut their cloth accordingly (well, unless you are Sevco or Hearts where financial obligations are not a concern).  But when I say every club, that means the massively bloated English leagues etc as well - I have a feeling, whilst we will have less to spend, there will be a good chance to pick up some real gems and the pool of quality free agents will be a lot bigger. 

Edited by AberdeenHibee

21 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Aye I was thinking that the other day. The whole period from the decline in Hughes' first season, all the way through to THAT cup final in 2012, is a hazy memory at best. Say what you want about collapsing like a dying star towards relegation but at least it's more memorable than safe shiteness.

Some more names from that period - Richie Towell, Jonathan Franks, Matt Thornhill, Victor Polsen, Junior Agogo 

Going to have to start the counselling sessions again. Cheers for that.

2 hours ago, Zing. said:

Matt Thornhill :lol: 

To think we could’ve had Michael O’Neill twice and passed it up to go with Pat Fenlon and Colin Calderwood. Some laugh. 

And then we turned down money for someone to take Calderwood off our hands :lol:

Alex Gogic being offered a trial. Thought he was the key man for Accies last season? Should really know enough about him already to be confident in offering a contract I’d have thought. Seems like the exact kind of player we need in midfield.

Edited by Zing.

2 minutes ago, Zing. said:

Alex Gogic being offered a trial. Thought he was the key man for Accies last season? Should really know enough about him already to be confident in offering a contract I’d have thought. 

Might be a way of getting around the pledge to not sign anyone until the players are back on full wages.

Alex Gogic being offered a trial. Thought he was the key man for Accies last season? Should really know enough about him already to be confident in offering a contract I’d have thought. Seems like the exact kind of player we need in midfield.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/hibs-transfer-news-alex-gogic-18394516.amp?__twitter_impression=true

But Ross has warned any recruitment is “on hold” until the financial impact of Scottish football’s shutdown can be properly assessed.

7 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Hibernian v Kilmarnock: Michael Nelson makes his presence known as ... 

Greatest winter transfer window we've ever had. 

TBF the 2011 winter widow was probably worse. Sodje, Thornhill, Palsson, and paying a fee for Martin Scott.

47 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

Might be a way of getting around the pledge to not sign anyone until the players are back on full wages.

Thats a good point. I’d just assumed they’d all go back on full pay when they go back to training but that might not be the case straight away. 

5 hours ago, Zing. said:

Thats a good point. I’d just assumed they’d all go back on full pay when they go back to training but that might not be the case straight away. 

It is.

As soon as players start training then they can no longer claim furlough.

6 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Hibernian v Kilmarnock: Michael Nelson makes his presence known as ... 

Greatest winter transfer window we've ever had. 

To be fair, Claros was actually a good wee player and Doherty has developed into a top player in the English Premier League.  

That will never, ever make up for this though:

The whole stadium went into stunned laughter. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It is.

As soon as players start training then they can no longer claim furlough.

Hibs players are currently deferring part of their salary. That is not directly connected with furlough.

The only sense in which it is connected is that the senior players at Hibs will be paid significantly more than the furlough cap (2500 per month). The deferment will have taken their salaries down to a level where furlough will be covering a lot of the rest.

Edited by JamesM82