On 05/06/2020 at 19:21, MixuFruit said:

Doidge. Confidence shattered to Heck and he knuckled down and did some nifty work tbh.

I read an article about the best strikers in the SPFL not long after his horror show at Pittodrie. Statistically he was one of the best for getting himself in to goal scoring positions. Once he started hitting the back of the net he was due a good run. Definite potential to get a consistent amount of goals each season.

2 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

I read an article about the best strikers in the SPFL not long after his horror show at Pittodrie. Statistically he was one of the best for getting himself in to goal scoring positions. Once he started hitting the back of the net he was due a good run. Definite potential to get a consistent amount of goals each season.

He's a good player. If we can keep Boyle (and keep him fit) and Horgan is more in form or replaced, he'll have a good season as I can't remember when we last had a player who thrives on crosses as much as him. Works well linking with and laying off for Allan in space, and hassles defenders well. Some of his goals are really bad but he gets in the positions as has been pointed ad infinitum and some of them are genuinely excellent finishes. 

Stewart coming in would be a good alternate, think we could do with someone more comfy playing on the shoulder or dropping into wide areas for a bit of variety if we play two up top. I guess Stewart can do that, I believe he's played out wide a fair bit. We can't seem to transition very talented youngsters into first team regulars any more so Gullan unlikely to get or take much of a chance. 

Doidge was a pretty big signing financially for us, so it was important he hit the ground running. He wasn't scoring goals, so the fact he was contributing and getting into good positions was being overlooked because he appeared to be an utter diddy who couldn't score from 5 yards out.

He's turned out pretty decent though.

27 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

He's a good player. If we can keep Boyle (and keep him fit) and Horgan is more in form or replaced, he'll have a good season as I can't remember when we last had a player who thrives on crosses as much as him. Works well linking with and laying off for Allan in space, and hassles defenders well. Some of his goals are really bad but he gets in the positions as has been pointed ad infinitum and some of them are genuinely excellent finishes. 

Stewart coming in would be a good alternate, think we could do with someone more comfy playing on the shoulder or dropping into wide areas for a bit of variety if we play two up top. I guess Stewart can do that, I believe he's played out wide a fair bit. We can't seem to transition very talented youngsters into first team regulars any more so Gullan unlikely to get or take much of a chance. 

It's not always pretty but a target man type is essential in our league. The only issue is it makes the aimless punt far too appealing to the average Scottish centre halve.

18 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Doidge was a pretty big signing financially for us, so it was important he hit the ground running. He wasn't scoring goals, so the fact he was contributing and getting into good positions was being overlooked because he appeared to be an utter diddy who couldn't score from 5 yards out.

He's turned out pretty decent though.

I was glad he turned us down when he went to Bolton after that Pittodrie game. He's turned it around.

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

It's not always pretty but a target man type is essential in our league. The only issue is it makes the aimless punt far too appealing to the average Scottish centre halve.

No argument there. Always undervalued at Hibs for some reason, maybe because of our mythos of playing the "Hibs Way". I'll get pelters for this but I was a big fan of Akpo Sodje during his time with Hibs as we were murder and at least he got us up the pitch, won fouls and wasn't an utter shitebag in a team with zero personalities. 

Colin Nish was another one who was absolutely fine when used as a target man. Didn't batter defenders but won a lot of fouls, was a nuisance and chipped in with more goals than you'd expect.  

I suppose we've also had Shefki Kuqi, Valdas Trakys and myriad other no marks turn up to do that job which is enough to put anyone off

3 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Grant Holt too.

aye right enough. I never took to him in the way others did, feels like a bit of a missing season for me as I was away and didn't make it back for any games so missed the grinding it out the championship season. 

No surprise to see Ross going in for Stewart. He brought him to St Mirren and while needing quite a bit of development I always felt he'd turn into a decent player at least for the Premiership. It was that fucking idiot Stubbs that binned him, to fund his fraudulent purchases from the English lower leagues, allowing County the chance to give him that experience in the championship.

1 minute ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

aye right enough. I never took to him in the way others did, feels like a bit of a missing season for me as I was away and didn't make it back for any games so missed the grinding it out the championship season. 

Holt seemed to 'get it' as the saying goes. He was influential on and off the park that season.

You mentioned Sodje earlier, I have almost completely wiped that period from my brain and the only recollection of him was the borderline racist rumours about the size of his appendage.

3 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Holt seemed to 'get it' as the saying goes. He was influential on and off the park that season.

You mentioned Sodje earlier, I have almost completely wiped that period from my brain and the only recollection of him was the borderline racist rumours about the size of his appendage.

Aye I was thinking that the other day. The whole period from the decline in Hughes' first season, all the way through to THAT cup final in 2012, is a hazy memory at best. Say what you want about collapsing like a dying star towards relegation but at least it's more memorable than safe shiteness.

Some more names from that period - Richie Towell, Jonathan Franks, Matt Thornhill, Victor Polsen, Junior Agogo 

26 minutes ago, Ric said:

No surprise to see Ross going in for Stewart. He brought him to St Mirren and while needing quite a bit of development I always felt he'd turn into a decent player at least for the Premiership. It was that fucking idiot Stubbs that binned him, to fund his fraudulent purchases from the English lower leagues, allowing County the chance to give him that experience in the championship.

Mad Max Thats GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

1 hour ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

No argument there. Always undervalued at Hibs for some reason, maybe because of our mythos of playing the "Hibs Way". I'll get pelters for this but I was a big fan of Akpo Sodje during his time with Hibs as we were murder and at least he got us up the pitch, won fouls and wasn't an utter shitebag in a team with zero personalities. 

Colin Nish was another one who was absolutely fine when used as a target man. Didn't batter defenders but won a lot of fouls, was a nuisance and chipped in with more goals than you'd expect.  

I suppose we've also had Shefki Kuqi, Valdas Trakys and myriad other no marks turn up to do that job which is enough to put anyone off

Cosgrove gets a lot of hassle from our fans for going down too easily (i.e winning cheap fouls and getting us up the park).

5 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Cosgrove gets a lot of hassle from our fans for going down too easily (i.e winning cheap fouls and getting us up the park).

I think that attribute is the one most likely to cause universal hatred for a player. Good body of their own fans too thick to see what they're doing is valuable to the team, opposition fans think they're a cheat (which to be fair they often are)

Thinking about the Stewart story there, how many signings do folk think Hibs need/may sign this summer? Hard to have a good idea as it's unclear how affected our budget will be, and guys we might try to negotiate a release for (hi Tom James!) will rather sit on their contracts.

We only have one senior goalie, so one of them. Porteous and Jackson with Hanlon, McGregor, McGinn and Stirling as support looks decent for centre half. I'd want new 1st choices for both fullbacks, but with Gray, McGinn and James on the right and Mackie coming back from Dundee, we have bodies (if not quality) on both sides so might not be a priority. Midfield need an anchor and an energetic box to  box guy, and at least one striker and another winger.

So for me that's:

GK, RB - Naismith? Not incredible but a handy player with a lot of good attributes. LB. Anchor man - Gogic would be an obvious one but haven't seen that suggested anywhere other than on here. Box to Box midfielder - in a fantasy world we swap Kamberi for Docherty. Striker - Stewart. Winger - No ideas really. So 7 in total coming in, some absolutely needed some in an ideal world

Would give us a full strength squad of 

Marciano

Naismith Jackson Porteous New LB

Allan Gogic Docherty

Boyle Doidge Horgan

New GK McGinn Hanlon Halberg/Newell/Mallan/Murray (pick any two) New Winger/Forward Stewart

Fanciful and juvenile exercise I know but I'm bored as f**k of no football at this point. 

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

1 minute ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Thinking about the Stewart story there, how many signings do folk think Hibs need/may sign this summer? Hard to have a good idea as it's unclear how affected our budget will be, and guys we might try to negotiate a release for (hi Tom James!) will rather sit on their contracts.

We only have one senior goalie, so one of them. Porteous and Jackson with Hanlon, McGregor, McGinn and Stirling as support looks decent for centre half. I'd want new 1st choices for both fullbacks, but with Gray, McGinn and James on the right and Mackie coming back from Dundee, we have bodies (if not quality) on both sides so might not be a priority. Midfield need an anchor and an energetic box to  box guy, and at least one striker and another winger.

So for me that's:

GK, RB - Naismith? Not incredible but a handy player with a lot of good attributes. LB. Anchor man - Gogic would be an obvious one but haven't seen that suggested anywhere other than on here. Box to Box midfielder - in a fantasy world we swap Kamberi for Docherty. Striker - Stewart. Winger - No ideas really

Would give us a full strength squad of 

Marciano

Naismith Jackson Porteous New LB

Allan Gogic Docherty

Boyle Doidge Horgan

New GK McGinn Hanlon Halberg/Newell/Mallan/Murray (pick any two) Horgan Stewart

Fanciful and juvenile exercise I know but I'm bored as f**k of no football at this point. 

Agree with the positions that require strengthening, centre of midfield is a big one as well as our left hand side. Don’t think Horgan is good enough regularly and Stevenson looks done.