9 minutes ago, Green Day said:

Total combined goals tally of McGinn and McGeouch last season ?  

A grand total of 6 goals between them - Woop de fuckin doo..................

Now, of course he doesnt bring all the same attributes as those players, but Mallan had 6 goals by the end of August. 

Works for me so far

4 goals against a team of puffin molesters - woop de fuckin doo........

The same team of puffin molesters who scored freely against us

Edited by RadgerTheBadger

11 minutes ago, RadgerTheBadger said:

4 goals against a team of puffin molesters - woop de fuckin doo........

The same team of puffin molesters who scored freely against us

Are we now in the realms of being picky about who is and isnt allowed to be scored against?

That was certainly never an issue with Dylan - smashing player but Benny Brazil scored more freely.

Apologies for bringing inconveniences like facts to the debate.................

Livi fan but my take on Hibs yesterday...

Lennon talked of a poor performance by Hibs in his after match interview. For the players that was true of Maclaren, Mallan and maybe Porteous but otherwise it was Lennon himself who was poorest yesterday. He got his tactics and player selection wrong. He started like this, with Horgan often drifting into the hole behind the two strikers, Ambrose sometimes joining in the build up play on the right, and Whittaker very much an anchor man in midfield.

eggg.jpg.5f704a5a62c0ceb96ed9fde3fdc7439b.jpg

Why Lennon picked Lewis Allan only he can tell us because you don't play an immobile, back to goal, target man against Livi. Reason being that Craig Halkett is utterly dominant aerially and also excellent at timing his ground interceptions on such an opponent. What happened to Allan yesterday also happened to Kris Boyd when Killie played at Almondvale a few weeks ago. The way to play against Livi is by using strikers who either drop deeper in front of Livi's back three or who drift into the channels between the central Halkett then the two wide centre backs. Lennon should've known this and for that reason gone with Shaw rather than Allan. 

The composure and skill Horgan showed for his goal in scooping the ball over the grounded Livi defender was excellent. He's a great player. However, he's not a central player, he's a wide player. A few times he dribbled away from the Livi midfield into the space in front of the Livi defence but then hesitated and was unable to pick a telling pass. That was partly due to the lack of movement from Allan and Maclaren but also because pass selection is not Horgan's strong point. You really want Horgan cutting in from wide areas to finish chances or providing an assist rather than trying to make the play from the centre of the pitch. 

While Horgan was too central, Boyle was too wide. For me, he's Hibs most exciting player. I've been a big fan of him since I first saw him for Hibs at Almondvale back in 2015 and he has improved even more since then. Yesterday he was badly constrained by the tactics. With no right sided player behind him to overlap, he was stuck out wide and unable to drift infield. Nobody behind him left him shackled with too much defensive responsibility and it also meant his starting position was too deep. Further still, having such a rigid position being stuck in that right midfield slot meant Livi's Lamie could effectively man mark him. Boyle needs to be played in the opponent's final third where he can really do damage and also be allowed the option to drift infield when he wants as he's Hibs most creative attacker.

Lennon should go with this next time out...

e2.jpg.2a03775b43af67bb707e0c22c8b18f0e.jpg

McGeouch and McGinn leaving ripped the heart out of Hibs midfield this summer and it's clear that Lennon is still yet to find the right blend with the new midfield. He will do soon though as he's a fantastic manager and Hibs will surge up the league when that happens. 

10 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

Lennon talked of a poor performance by Hibs in his after match interview. For the players that was true of Maclaren, Mallan and maybe Porteous but otherwise it was Lennon himself who was poorest yesterday. He got his tactics and player selection wrong. He started like this, with Horgan often drifting into the hole behind the two strikers, Ambrose sometimes joining in the build up play on the right, and Whittaker very much an anchor man in midfield.

Why Lennon picked Lewis Allan only he can tell us because you don't play an immobile, back to goal, target man against Livi. Reason being that Craig Halkett is utterly dominant aerially and also excellent at timing his ground interceptions on such an opponent. What happened to Allan yesterday also happened to Kris Boyd when Killie played at Almondvale a few weeks ago. The way to play against Livi is by using strikers who either drop deeper in front of Livi's back three or who drift into the channels between the central Halkett then the two wide centre backs. Lennon should've known this and for that reason gone with Shaw rather than Allan. 

The composure and skill Horgan showed for his goal in scooping the ball over the grounded Livi defender was excellent. He's a great player. However, he's not a central player, he's a wide player. A few times he dribbled away from the Livi midfield into the space in front of the Livi defence but then hesitated and was unable to pick a telling pass. That was partly due to the lack of movement from Allan and Maclaren but also because pass selection is not Horgan's strong point. You really want Horgan cutting in from wide areas to finish chances or providing an assist rather than trying to make the play from the centre of the pitch. 

While Horgan was too central, Boyle was too wide. For me, he's Hibs most exciting player. I've been a big fan of him since I first saw him for Hibs at Almondvale back in 2015 and he has improved even more since then. Yesterday he was badly constrained by the tactics. With no right sided player behind him to overlap, he was stuck out wide and unable to drift infield. Nobody behind him left him shackled with too much defensive responsibility and it also meant his starting position was too deep. Further still, having such a rigid position being stuck in that right midfield slot meant Livi's Lamie could effectively man mark him. Boyle needs to be played in the opponent's final third where he can really do damage and also be allowed the option to drift infield when he wants as he's Hibs most creative attacker.

McGeouch and McGinn leaving ripped the heart out of Hibs midfield this summer and it's clear that Lennon is still yet to find the right blend with the new midfield. He will do soon though as he's a fantastic manager and Hibs will surge up the league when that happens. 

Cheers for this m8. Will pass it on to Lennon so we're better prepared next time.

I quite enjoyed the Livi fan’s post until he suggested keeping Whittaker in central midfield :lol: 

On Mallan, he’s been ok. A few saints fans said when we signed him he’s not an all action box to box player like McGinn or a player with the ability to dictate a game like McGeouch. His best form for them came when he played further forward instead of deeper in midfield like we have been doing so far. 

In my attempt to show Lennon how to properly manage his squad, I’d play this; 

Bogdan (if Marciano is still fucked) 

Gray Porteous Hanlon Stevenson

Milligan Bartley (f**k all going forward from these two but there are four #ballers in front of them)

Boyle Mallan Horgan 

Kamberi 

13 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

The flaw in your cunning plan to put all their best players on the pitch - Gray and Kamberi's knees.  It's about as helpful as saying Hearts defence is more solid with Berra starting. Well, yes....but.....

4 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

The flaw in your cunning plan to put all their best players on the pitch - Gray and Kamberi's knees.  It's about as helpful as saying Hearts defence is more solid with Berra starting. Well, yes....but.....

And if you want to disregard fitness to play, I think you'd find a place for McGregor

1 hour ago, Pet Jeden said:

Kamberi will be back after the international break. Not sure his knee injury is as bad as first feared. 

15 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

I'd agree with most of this, although to be a wee bit picky - Lennon did directly take some of the blame for Saturday.

I agree that Horgan should be played out wide eventually but I can see why he's played centrally so far. It's a sad state of affairs but even though he's a midget winger, he probably has more bite about him than anyone else we can play there. A midfield of just Mallan and Whittaker would be the most bitch central midfield of all time. As I said in the match thread, we desperately need this Milligan guy to be decent. That would solve a few problems at once, with Whittaker out of the team, Horgan out wide and finally some presence in midfield. 

I'm guessing the pitch may have had an influence on him playing Allan. Turns out you're right about that selection playing to Livi's strengths but Lennon probably thought Shaw and Maclaren would be too lightweight against a physical team on a pitch which isn't suited for passing on the deck.

It didn't work on Saturday but I generally quite like Boyle as a wing back. Livi did a good job of getting two or three men around him. Last year that would've freed up space for a cut inside to Allan or an early ball into Kamberi/Maclaren. The lack of anything going on around him meant he ended up running into a tackle most of the time. I'd also prefer him to play in the front three you've got but I expect we'll see him as a wing back and proper striker at times.

Edited by Alan Stubbs

The incels on lol.net are devouring their own after one bad result.

ITK Freddie has taken his ball home because the big boys were cyberbowling.

His story about Dempster "...might make the press..."

#Tenner

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?333673-Summer-Transfer-Window-Aftermath/page5

2 hours ago, LincolnHearts said:

What's wrong with McGregor and Marciano? Guessing they're injured? out for long?

Daz has a knee injury - should be back soon as he is a hard as f**k, YLT ya bass motherfucker

Spoiler

In fact it could be age catching up with him - Him and Berra will probably turn up together in the new year derby, 18 stone each after spending all their down time at Pizza Express

Rocky had a hand injury, almost cleared up and potentially in contention for the Killie match after the international break.

1 minute ago, Green Day said:

Daz has a knee injury - should be back soon as he is a hard as f**k, YLT ya bass motherfucker

Reveal hidden contents

In fact it could be age catching up with him - Him and Berra will probably turn up together in the new year derby, 18 stone each after spending all their down time at Pizza Express

Rocky had a hand injury, almost cleared up and potentially in contention for the Killie match after the international break.

We are unlikely to see Daz at the club beyond his current contract.

"...But he is a legend, grew up in Leith, loves the club, listens to the Proclaimers..."

Darren is made of fucking glass.

I would be shocked if he starts ahead of Ryan this season.

This is an empirical statement.

We need more than chavvy jobbers to progress as a club.

2 hours ago, Slavoj Žižek said:

The incels on lol.net are devouring their own after one bad result.

ITK Freddie has taken his ball home because the big boys were cyberbowling.

His story about Dempster "...might make the press..."

#Tenner

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?333673-Summer-Transfer-Window-Aftermath/page5

The only use for that forum is to lurk for rumours and news.

Anyone who want to engage in some banter/debate is quickly going to come up against some bitter auld weirdo with 100,000 posts who thinks he's the arbiter of all things Hibs related or some hyper sensitive, groupthink brigade.

2 hours ago, Slavoj Žižek said:

We are unlikely to see Daz at the club beyond his current contract.

"...But he is a legend, grew up in Leith, loves the club, listens to the Proclaimers..."

Darren is made of fucking glass.

I would be shocked if he starts ahead of Ryan this season.

This is an empirical statement.

We need more than chavvy jobbers to progress as a club.

2 hours ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

Explain Stevenson's 350 plus apps?

Fw0xM2t.png

4 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Never understood why over the years ( not so much recently ) he got such a hrd time from Hibbies. He's not Andy Robertson, but he always seemed sound enough to me.

They're probably harking back to the days of David Murphy at LB.

Lewis is a really solid and consistent player, just lacks that little bit of adventurousness and arrogance that would've brought his game up to the next level.

Funny I always see jambos say 'Lewis Stevenson, never a football player'. They must've formed that opinion of him when he was surrounded by absolute dross in the Calderwood, Fenlon and Butcher teams and suffering from confidence issues as a result.