Infuriating Things Your Partner Does

I have no problem with the albums. As Christmas songs go, these are probably amongst the best. Underneath the Tree is fun and jaunty, and Glow on the new album is very, very good. The wife is welcome to use the month of December to play them on heavy rotation. 

But for the remaining 11 months of the year, I'd rather forget all about these. 

As PG Wodehouse said:

You know, the more I see of women, the more I think that there ought to be a law. Something has got to be done about this sex, or the whole fabric of society will collapse, and then, what silly asses we shall all look.

I'm having to work at my Grandparents-in-laws house today so needed the car this morning.  I'm only working til 1 as got a half day but we have a deadline of 1pm for some monthly accounts stuff.

We're due to be in Aberdeen for 2pm.  It's a 35 minute drive.  My plan is to leave here at 13:01.

"could you finish slightly earlier just to be sure we're in?"

1 hour ago, The Minertaur said:

I'm having to work at my Grandparents-in-laws house today so needed the car this morning.  I'm only working til 1 as got a half day but we have a deadline of 1pm for some monthly accounts stuff.

We're due to be in Aberdeen for 2pm.  It's a 35 minute drive.  My plan is to leave here at 13:01.

"could you finish slightly earlier just to be sure we're in?"

People just lack boundaries. Really annoys me. 

2 hours ago, philpy said:

Loses something, expects me to help her find it.

Leaves something in the car, expects me to go and get it.

If you're lucky, maybe she'll leave you in the car and lose it.

Apparently I not only have to agree with her but she need's me to understand WHY with absolute fanatical zeal. 

Her: what do you think? 

Me: I think "y" 

Her: I think "x" 

Me: OK, if you think "x" then do that... 

Her: But you don't understand. 

Me: I've already said that if you think "x" then do that. 

Her: BUT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND BLAH, BLAH, BLAH - WORST POSSIBLE SCENARIO..... 

Me: Sensible explanation of my view 'but if you think "x" as I've already said do that. 

Her:BUT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND [stomps off in the huff] 

Me:???? 

Apparently I not only have to agree with her but she need's me to understand WHY with absolute fanatical zeal. 
Her: what do you think? 
Me: I think "y" 
Her: I think "x" 
Me: OK, if you think "x" then do that... 
Her: But you don't understand. 
Me: I've already said that if you think "x" then do that. 
Her: BUT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND BLAH, BLAH, BLAH - WORST POSSIBLE SCENARIO..... 
Me: Sensible explanation of my view 'but if you think "x" as I've already said do that. 
Her:BUT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND [stomps off in the huff] 
Me:???? 
Get this as well. I just agree for an easy life, then I get it tight for 'just agreeing'. So I just agree again.

Similar to that, if i don't get visibly furious and all up in arms about something that's riled her she thinks i strongly support it. 

She's increasingly unhinged with it. Ranges from thinking i want to marry female contestants on dragons den if i don't strongly condemn the shitness of their business, right up to thinking i'd like to join the Klan. 

I am getting more and more pissed off with her spending habits to the point where it is causing serious resentment.

We have 2 joint accounts, one for all the bills, and one for regular 'spending', the spending one is regularly emptied well before payday on absolute shite. 

I remember reading this thread and it seemed like people had a different way of organising their finances. If I remember correctly people pay into a bill account, then split whatever is left in two and use that separately. My problem with that would be that she would probably spend her half in 2 weeks as usual and then I would be left paying for everything for the rest of the month.

Also how does that work, if, say your out for dinner? Does you take turns about paying? This might seem laughably basic but I genuinely need to sort an alternative before I lose my mind.

2 minutes ago, beesher said:

I am getting more and more pissed off with her spending habits to the point where it is causing serious resentment.

We have 2 joint accounts, one for all the bills, and one for regular 'spending', the spending one is regularly emptied well before payday on absolute shite. 

I remember reading this thread and it seemed like people had a different way of organising their finances. If I remember correctly people pay into a bill account, then split whatever is left in two and use that separately. My problem with that would be that she would probably spend her half in 2 weeks as usual and then I would be left paying for everything for the rest of the month.

Also how does that work, if, say your out for dinner? Does you take turns about paying? This might seem laughably basic but I genuinely need to sort an alternative before I lose my mind.

We have separate accounts. I earn more so the bills all get paid from my account, and the wife contributes to the monthly expenses (food, fuel, treats for the kids etc.). If we go for a meal out I do tend to pay but that's just because I am a wee bit old fashioned about that particular thing. 

35 minutes ago, beesher said:

If we're just going out for dinner it gets paid for on our joint credit card and the bill for that gets paid out of our joint account as it does every month.  If it's her birthday and I'm paying I pay it on a different credit card and pay the bill out of my individual bank account.  Vice-versa if it's my birthday and she's picking up the tab.

4 hours ago, beesher said:

Getting Vietnam-style flashbacks from this, been in this position before and you have my every sympathy. I'm going to guess that any time you bring the subject up she flies onto the defensive and you become the bad guy for being a killjoy trying to spoil her fun. "Paypal isn't really money" was a stone-cold classic which still has me chuckling and seething in equal measures.

I was highly relieved, the wallet even more so, when it ended and just to give one example, the gas and electric bill came down by £100 a MONTH pretty much straight away. Years later I still get occasionally contacted by debt companies trying to hunt her down to which I gleefully provide the address she fucked off to, which is probably at least 5-6 house moves out of date anyway but it's the principle.

There truly is nothing worse than being lumbered with somebody who absolutely loves buying things but isn't so keen on paying for them...

5 hours ago, beesher said:

Joint account to cover joint expenses (e.g. bills, dinners out etc - anything that you are both part of) then your own bank account for everything else. If she’s literally spending all of the money in the joint account on things purely for herself without taking into account that there’ll be no money in it left for bills etc then it’s pretty worrying behaviour.