Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

54 minutes ago, santheman said:

Considering every other WOS permutation that’s been mentioned on here, yours could just as likely happen as any of the rest.

I’d vote for it anyways just for the hell of it.

I know some folk see a new WoS league starting as the easier option but I just don't see it happening unless it's the entire West set up moving as one and I just don't see that happening at all otherwise it would have happened already. And as much as I doubt most SoS teams fancy long(ish) journeys to Lanarkshire and Clydeside (especially if it's just to get thrashed) I think they'd be on board with one year of it as it would mean bigger gates at home as well knowing they could settle into a league a year later that would broadly match the one they are in comfortably. Likewise for Junior sides who don't want trips to Dumfries and lower away crowds would be more accommodating to the idea knowing it's just a one off like it was for the bigger sides in the East Region who had to make do with days out to Berwick and poor away crowds in return.

Who knows. I'm only stalking this thread for the occasional heads gone from some junior fans. 

iirc the LL Development League have considered adding an U17 tier. Someone more itk would be able to clarify.

It’s been strongly suggested. Currently the SERYFA isn’t happy as it’s lost many clubs to u20s league which is becoming far more populaR. I think 17s league be better though as not as much quality these days and means even from 15/16 boys can see their way into the u20s/reserves and first team.

6 hours ago, archieb said:

Maybe THEY don't need supporters, but most West Premiership clubs couldn't switch to a league with too many such teams - their businesses model depends on punters through the gate.

Any club that relies on away gates to survive has an incredibly precarious business model.

7 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

This looks fun. My turn

Prediction with zero inside info: exact same as the junior refugees in heading to the EoSFL. Clydebank and Kilwinning will apply to SoSFL and there'll be an avalanche of other clubs joining and the SoS will split into conferences. Only difference is once they've created their top division after a year they'll split the lower tiers by region. The new SoS premier league will rename itself the West of Scotland league with Central, Ayrshire and South of Scotland below. Everyone is surprisingly happy and how smoothly it all transitions.

Auchinleck win the 10 team West Region Super League 38 points ahead of Muirkirk as their committee discusses the benefits of moving to the senior leagues. 

Make your original conferences regional ones, splitting latitudinally at say, Ayr or Kilmarnock and you'd probably have a goer that current SoSFL clubs will palate - especially if end-season access to next-season's region-wide 'Premier Division' is made optional.

5 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I know some folk see a new WoS league starting as the easier option but I just don't see it happening unless it's the entire West set up moving as one and I just don't see that happening at all otherwise it would have happened already. And as much as I doubt most SoS teams fancy long(ish) journeys to Lanarkshire and Clydeside (especially if it's just to get thrashed) I think they'd be on board with one year of it as it would mean bigger gates at home as well knowing they could settle into a league a year later that would broadly match the one they are in comfortably. Likewise for Junior sides who don't want trips to Dumfries and lower away crowds would be more accommodating to the idea knowing it's just a one off like it was for the bigger sides in the East Region who had to make do with days out to Berwick and poor away crowds in return.

Who knows. I'm only stalking this thread for the occasional heads gone from some junior fans. 

They were following the Pied Piper, humming his tune.

Make your original conferences regional ones, splitting latitudinally at say, Ayr or Kilmarnock and you'd probably have a goer that current SoSFL clubs will palate - especially if end-season access to next-season's region-wide 'Premier Division' is made optional.
I've often thought that. North v South winners play-off (if both licenced) to play the EoS Premier winners for LL promotion, then make it that the top 8 of each or whatever make up the new Premier Division of the SoS or WoS or whatever they want to call it. Teams could opt out of going into the Premier Division (which some/most SoS probably would) so there may be more places for ex West Juniors. For a bit of excitement they could instead have play offs, with the highest ranked team who wants to be in the Premier from the North playing the lowest from the South and vice versa all the way through the leagues - that gives teams who want to go the best chance while also stopping any arguments about whether or not clubs deserve to be at that level. If you can beat a higher ranked opponent from the other league then you have more than proved your worthiness, that sort of thing.

30 minutes ago, parkcircus said:

Tonight the Lowland League board meet to discuss the creation of the WOSL to sit along side the EOS and SOS.

Theres already 5 West Prem teams declared their interest

23 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Which ones please?

9 minutes ago, parkcircus said:

They’ve asked that we don’t announce them publicly 

Quite right.

11 minutes ago, parkcircus said:

Those 3 haven’t been in contact 

so Kilwinning and Clydebank plus three from Talbot, Glenafton, Irvine Meadow, Largs, Kilbirnie, Beith, Troon, Hurlford, Glencairn, Rob Roy, Benburb

Would be quite amusing to see the state of a certain twitter account if one of them was Rob Roy.

3 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

so Kilwinning and Clydebank plus three from Talbot, Glenafton, Irvine Meadow, Largs, Kilbirnie, Beith, Troon, Hurlford, Glencairn, Rob Roy, Benburb

Would be quite amusing to see the state of a certain twitter account if one of them was Rob Roy.

One more thing...Colombo  lol

1 hour ago, parkcircus said:

Tonight the Lowland League board meet to discuss the creation of the WOSL to sit along side the EOS and SOS.

Theres already 5 West Prem teams declared their interest

Good to hear that clubs have been registering their interest, exactly what was required.

Good to hear. Doesn't really matter who they are. Chances are the Lowland League will just put out an advert and they apply. Leaves people guessing if things some how fall through.

Nice that it's meant to be all Premiership teams though. Really forces the issue to make everyone consider what they're going to do.

I'm going to assume that IF the LL decide to progress this, they'll need to get some sort of OK from the SFA first before advertising for applicants, perhaps at the next SFA Board meeting (or PGB meeting).  If they can show that there is already firm interest from clubs, then it should be a formality.  No need for any more PWG meetings.

20 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

I'm going to assume that IF the LL decide to progress this, they'll need to get some sort of OK from the SFA first before advertising for applicants, perhaps at the next SFA Board meeting (or PGB meeting).  If they can show that there is already firm interest from clubs, then it should be a formality.  No need for any more PWG meetings.

The best thing to do is read the constitutions involved, if you want to find out what leagues can and can't do. If the SFA see no need for further PWG meetings that could be interpreted as a green light for something like this. The reason Tom Johnston wants to talk up the idea that the PWG might still reactivate is that he has no role in any of this and zero prospect of ever being involved inide the pyramid once the LL take the initiative on starting a WoS. Seems to me the SFA only has to be involved at the point it gets spun off from the LL as a separate league with its own officeholders.