Worst pub in Scotland

Back in the 80’s I had a mate who worked in Glasgow, and I somehow thought Bar 82 up the street from Queen Street station was a good meeting point, before him driving to a midweek matches if Falkirk were in Glasgow. It was a dump on waste ground, and definitely not welcoming.  Demolished to build Buchannan Galaries

Bar 82 was pretty grim as has been mentioned but was very cheap, OK if you were in a group but I never went in by myself - have the feeling that a lone student would've been easy pickings. 

I might be confusing Bar 82 with somewhere else but IIRC you could get a half pint of Buckfast.

Sammy Dow's on Mitchell St. with it's all you could eat buffet was another health hazard from the 80s.

Our supporters bus used to park near the salubrious 'Joanna Dees' just behind The Forge at Parkhead before Celtic home matches, I'd usually go in for a pint before the game and occasionally a post match one , this was around the time Martin O'Neill was managing the club.

It was rough as f**k but I didn't mind that truth be told, till one day when going to the gents I saw a guy sitting on the floor smoking what appeared to be heroin off a bit of tinfoil, that was my last ever visit there. 😳

Burnt down in a 'suspicious' fire not long after and has become a derelict eyesore ever since, much like when it was open really. 

21 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

'Supporters bus to home games' is utterly depressing.  Should never be the case but always will be in Scotland.

I'm sure one of the Morton Supporter's Groups from Gourock used to run a bus from the pub to Cappielow and back again for a while. The mind boggles.

15 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I dont know if the Moorings in Aberdeen is still open, but no building, and I include dedicated toilets and ammonia production facilities in this, has ever smelt that strongly of pish

Called Krakatoa now (although still run by same people and think it's a workers collective). They did the toilets up a while ago and renovated the place later.

Probably my favourite pub in the world! But I know what you mean, and the toilets used to be an absolute disgrace.

5 minutes ago, Detournement said:

That's a bit delusional. 

A Catholic that lives in Cardonald? Tough titty you're going to Ibrox!

Something I've often pondered...and maybe even deserves it own thread...but what would Scottish Football look like without the Sectarian element?

You would always get glory hunters - people who would no doubt latch onto Rangers and Celtic from outside of Glasgow.  But all those provincial towns scattered beyond the G postcode - where lets face it a lot of the support is driven by what religion you are - if this wasn't there then it would be interesting to see the change in support levels.  

I live in Leicester now, a one city team.   So pretty much everyone who is local, into football supports Leicester City.  Of course you have people who support other teams but in general there seems to be a lot of people who are proud of their team/city and wouldn't go elsewhere even had the chance.  Leicester is probably a bad example as they still have an element of glory hunters from the League winning days and they've continued having some level of success since then(FA Cup, European campaigns).  

I did move down there when they were in league One and although the stadium wasn't empty, it was easier to get a ticket.

I'm probably not putting my point across well here and will no doubt get shot down - but I guess what I'm trying to say if you took the Sectarianism away, and therefore all the bigotry and  divide - how would Scottish football look...?

Boring maybe....

4 hours ago, fuzzydunlop said:

Something I've often pondered...and maybe even deserves it own thread...but what would Scottish Football look like without the Sectarian element?

You would always get glory hunters - people who would no doubt latch onto Rangers and Celtic from outside of Glasgow.  But all those provincial towns scattered beyond the G postcode - where lets face it a lot of the support is driven by what religion you are - if this wasn't there then it would be interesting to see the change in support levels.  

It's not just gloryhunting.

People move around and there were some relatively huge movements of people from Glasgow out to various new towns and schemes after WW2. Accies are the textbook poorly supported team but the population of Hamilton doubled after WW2 mainly from Glasgow and coal villages so there is no reason for those families to have a link to Accies. With Livingston and ICT families in those towns already had teams they support when the new clubs were formed. 

You mention Leicester but the population of the urban area there is half a million. Motherwell has a population of 33,000 and Kilmarnock 43,000 so they do get relatively similar if not better crowds. I think people don't realise how small places are here compared to elsewhere when they compare attendances. The Glasgow teams are the best supported because Glasgow is the only major population centre in Scotland (what's actually interesting is the rise of Aberdeen and Dundee Utd coincided with Glasgow's population decline). 

There are glory hunters all over Europe. Spain is full of Real and Barca fans, in Italy it's Juve and Inter and in England It's Man Utd and Liverpool. It's nothing to do with sectarianism down there and removing it would make no difference here. 

17 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It's not just gloryhunting.

People move around and there were some relatively huge movements of people from Glasgow out to various new towns and schemes after WW2. Accies are the textbook poorly supported team but the population of Hamilton doubled after WW2 mainly from Glasgow and coal villages so there is no reason for those families to have a link to Accies. With Livingston and ICT families in those towns already had teams they support when the new clubs were formed. 

You mention Leicester but the population of the urban area there is half a million. Motherwell has a population of 33,000 and Kilmarnock 43,000 so they do get relatively similar if not better crowds. I think people don't realise how small places are here compared to elsewhere when they compare attendances. The Glasgow teams are the best supported because Glasgow is the only major population centre in Scotland (what's actually interesting is the rise of Aberdeen and Dundee Utd coincided with Glasgow's population decline). 

There are glory hunters all over Europe. Spain is full of Real and Barca fans, in Italy it's Juve and Inter and in England It's Man Utd and Liverpool. It's nothing to do with sectarianism down there and removing it would make no difference here. 

Removing Sectarianism would make no difference to Scottish football? Is that seriously what you are saying?

I would say without it, the the places you mentioned and the people who support the Old Firm in Hamilton would arguably phase out through time. 

I know a lot of people support Liverpool/Man Utd because their dad did.  But theres also a big chance that phases out when/if the kid gets into supporting the local team.  For geographical reasons more than anything.   Again, hate using Leicester as an example but one of my mates here is a gloryhunter from the 90s Man U fan.  His son wanted to go to his first football game so as Man Utd was too far for a Saturday jaunt, and he couldn't get a ticket for Leicester. He took the wee guy to Hinckley Town.  That was 10 years ago now and his son is still hooked on Hinckley even through their Liquidation.   I honestly cant see or imagine a Rangers/Celtic fan taking their kid to local team and the same thing happening..i might be cynical...but there you go.

The elephant in the room being how successful would Rangers/Celtic be without the Sectarian link?  All that money coming in from all over the World?  So you are assuming that  that would still be the case?

What I'm saying is if that money wasnt coming in...theres no doubt they would still be big clubs due to the size of Glasgow -but would the gap between them and the rest of the clubs be as big - and if not, would that not then open up the opportunity for a bigger challenge adn in turn for people to support their local team more if there was more chance of success like Aberdeen and Dundee Utd had in the 1980s?

However my point really is if you support Rangers/Celtic then its ingrained because of more than just the football...and you cant say that for a lot of other teams.

The actual attendance figures are irrelevant - Leicester have been selling out most saturdays and are looking to build a new stand to fit people in so their current attendance isn't reliable really..

It is of course not a fair comparison - but my point really was most of the lads i know in Leicester go along to support City.  Whereas growing up in my class in Falkirk of the say the 20 football loving lads, I'd say 70% were Gers fans, 15% Falkirk and 15%  other 'random' teams like Aberdeen, hearts, Hibs etc  Without the Sectarian aspect I'm sure it would be different.

anyway, thread about pubs so I'll can it here

In terms of attending matches Falkirk will be by far the biggest club in Falkirk. There is no chance that there are 3000 people from the Falkirk area at Ibrox or Celtic Park every week. 

In terms of Accies the club has been horribly run and even their recent successful spell wasn't likely to attract new fans due to the stadium and pitch. 

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

In terms of attending matches Falkirk will be by far the biggest club in Falkirk. There is no chance that there are 3000 people from the Falkirk area at Ibrox or Celtic Park every week. 

In terms of Accies the club has been horribly run and even their recent successful spell wasn't likely to attract new fans due to the stadium and pitch. 

Its not the point I'm trying to make.  Of course theres not 3000 going every week -surely you know thats not what I'm saying?   

The point isn't that people are attending the matches, its the fact that theres Rangers and Celtic fans who arent going to Ibrox/Parkhead(and probably never have) but wouldn't go near Falkirk Stadium (I don't blame them at the moment but that's not the point) and this wont change because its not 100% about football....its all the other sh*te that goes with it for them.   I bet there's just about or close to as many Rangers supports clubs in the Falkirk area.  

Growing up my best mate and next door neighbour was a big Celtic fan.  No one at his school were Falkirk fans despite Brockville being spitting distance from the school.  If you went to the Catholic school you were a Celtic fan.  So again, my point being if none of that sh*te existed('Imagine' says John) things would be different.

Most people aren't going to make a substantial effort to get into a football team and the pull of Rangers and Celtic, fairly or unfairly, is much greater than anyone's local team outside of a few specific examples. I gave up supporting Dunfermline after about 2 years living away from Fife because I had zero remaining connection to the area and the cost of supporting far outstripped any enjoyment I got.

3 hours ago, Detournement said:

The stadium and pitch would be way down the list of reasons we have a shite support.

Crowds were decent when Alex Neil was in charge.

10 hours ago, FuzzyBear said:

The stadium and pitch would be way down the list of reasons we have a shite support.

Crowds were decent when Alex Neil was in charge.

Exactly, if you're choosing who you watch depending on quality of the ground or pitch then that's your issue. Accies lack of support is purely down to ease of access to The Old Firm and also years of not even being based in Hamilton.

From personal experience, from the crowd that went when we were doing well, plenty are now OF fans and tbh, they can go f**k themselves. I'd rather sit in a small crowd of real fans than fans who go but also would support one of the OF

Edited by Bert Raccoon

12 hours ago, fuzzydunlop said:

I live in Leicester now, a one city team.   So pretty much everyone who is local, into football supports Leicester City.  Of course you have people who support other teams but in general there seems to be a lot of people who are proud of their team/city and wouldn't go elsewhere even had the chance.  Leicester is probably a bad example as they still have an element of glory hunters from the League winning days and they've continued having some level of success since then(FA Cup, European campaigns).  

I did move down there when they were in league One and although the stadium wasn't empty, it was easier to get a ticket.

I'm probably not putting my point across well here and will no doubt get shot down - but I guess what I'm trying to say if you took the Sectarianism away, and therefore all the bigotry and  divide - how would Scottish football look...?

Boring maybe....

Queens Park, European Cup Winners, 1967....

I suppose perhaps Clyde FC might have had the following of the Glasgow East End Irish population and be bigger than they are now and still at Shawfield, there might be only one club in Dundee, Hearts and either St Bernards or Leith Athletic would be fighting it out for Capital dominance.