Premier League 2017-2018

22 hours ago, Herman Hessian said:

i'm sufficiently senile to remember Danny Baker & Kelly on the first incarnation of 606 - absolutely mandatory post-match listening on the way back home from some godforsaken shithole like Hednesford or - well - Doncaster; the absolute hilarity on the studio as they told the stories about a steaming, caravan-dwelling Dion Dublin with his Massive Cock and the Dundee United supporter with the giant plywood bow tie was the stuff of legend....

It seems like a more innocent time when fans took themselves and football less seriously or at least found humour in it. The traditional football phone in now is raging idiots wanting managers sacked or saying 'I've been watching this team for 20 years and this is the worst team I've ever seen' when their team is 3rd in the top flight.  I genuinely heard an Arsenal fan call up a phone in and call Arsene Wenger a 'cancer on the club' Which is offensive on a few levels. 

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I listened to the homemade bow tie clip yesterday (Johnny Nic did a "love letter to Danny Baker" on football365) and it's genuinely magnificent. The two Danny's absolutely dying of laughter in the studio as the bold Dundonian Gordon tells about his 2 foot plywood bow tie and looking like a Roman Centurion the next week with the pole is one of the funniest things you'll ever hear.

Radio phone-ins are now purely used for controversy, people like Stan Collymore and Adrian Durham purposely trying to rile people up so they'll phone in to argue. Baker and Kelly genuinely seemed to love hearing callers ridiculous stories and opinions. Football media is a whole lot worse for not having them on their own show since BT Sport binned them (the toaster predictions were magnificent).

On 29/07/2017 at 13:27, J_Stewart said:

I listened to the homemade bow tie clip yesterday (Johnny Nic did a "love letter to Danny Baker" on football365) and it's genuinely magnificent. The two Danny's absolutely dying of laughter in the studio as the bold Dundonian Gordon tells about his 2 foot plywood bow tie and looking like a Roman Centurion the next week with the pole is one of the funniest things you'll ever hear.

http://www.football365.com/news/a-football365-love-letter-to-danny-baker

:lol:

no sign of a link to the story about the prodigiously empizzled dion dublin though....

Matic to Utd confirmed. Decent signing, but they could have got better for £40m IMO.

Like who?

He's one of the best defensive midfielders around and has huge experience in their league

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Like who?

He's one of the best defensive midfielders around and has huge experience in their league

As a like-for-like, I think Fabinho would have been ideal and he's 5 years younger than Matic. If they were to use Herrera as the DM, they could have gone for Bakayoko (before Chelsea got him) or Naingollan.

Big fan of Matic. Partnering him alongside Herrera could also allow for Pogba to have a much more creative role, and a trio of Lukaku, Pogba and Rashford, backed up by Herrera and Matic, seems like a very good prospect for United. That's if Mourinho goes with the 3-5-2 he's tried in pre-season. Even then, they could all easily fit into a 4-2-3-1 with Mata or Mkhitaryan coming in too. United should have a great first XI this season, but I'm not too sure their squad depth is up to it.

Mkhitaryan would start over Rashford.

Mkhitaryan is better, but there seems to be a lot made of Rashford and Lukaku's partnership next season. Of course, that could just be the English press doing their usual.

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

I understand that it's only a friendly competition but Liverpool look very impressive so far against Bayern. 2-0 and looking very dangerous

Bayern have had a few poor results but Liverpool were outstanding tonight. First half was a perfect demonstration of why they play Firmino as the centre forward with his recovery of possession, pressing and ability to create space for the inside forwards Salah/Mane.

If only they'd been able to add VVD and Keita.

Bayern have had a few poor results but Liverpool were outstanding tonight. First half was a perfect demonstration of why they play Firmino as the centre forward with his recovery of possession, pressing and ability to create space for the inside forwards Salah/Mane.
If only they'd been able to add VVD and Keita.

Van Dijk will still go, I reckon.

Archived