Champions League 2017/18

lichtie23

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

Really?

Foy emphasised the term 'intentionally played the ball'.

So if a keeper punches it off a defender that would not be offside? (That's exactly what happened to ayr at the weekend and the ref told our gaffer that it was correctly offside due to that rule).

I actually think milner did play the ball (rather than it being accidental) so it doesn't matter anyway. But I think the ref here might argue that's why they disallowed it.

The ball had already been actively played by the keeper, so the last active touch (before Milner) was not by an attacker. I'm not sure how Sane can then be offside from Milner's touch regardless of whether he meant it or not.

If that’s what Foy said, then he is talking bollox. That would only apply if the ball had already been played in a forward direction by an attacking player. 

The direction the ball goes in is irrelevant to the offside rule. Don't know about the "accidental touch" stuff, but I'm certain of that.

Just now, resk said:

The direction the ball goes in is irrelevant to the offside rule. Don't know about the "accidental touch" stuff, but I'm certain of that.

The direction is relevant - a player can only be offside if the ball is played forward.

But it’s not relevant for this. Unless there was an offside when the ball initially came forward, the goal should have stood.

The ball had already been actively played by the keeper, so the last active touch (before Milner) was not by an attacker. I'm not sure how Sane can then be offside from Milner's touch regardless of whether he meant it or not.
Is that the only instance where it counts (a deflection from a through ball)?

I've got no idea, I was surprised when that was mentioned as a thing at the weekend.

So in both cases it's just a linesman error.

2 minutes ago, resk said:

That's not correct. A player can't be offside tpif the ball is played backwards

The direction is relevant - a player can only be offside if the ball is played forward.
But it’s not relevant for this. Unless there was an offside when the ball initially came forward, the goal should have stood.

No, it's the positions of the players relative to each other that is relevant. The direction the ball travels in, is irrelevant. Ie. if player A cuts the ball back, then player B runs back from a position ahead of player A to collect the ball, player B is offside.

I’m really struggling to understand how there is any debate around this, Sane can’t have been offside as he was onside when De Bruyne played the ball up to him in the first place. That was the last time a Man City player touched the ball iirc.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

I've got no idea, I was surprised when that was mentioned as a thing at the weekend.

That it was an accidental touch by Milner is irrelevant here. That only applies if the ball is deflected into the path of an attacker who was in an offside position when the ball was initially played forward by his teammate. 

Defining “accidental”, however, is a minefield.

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Replace the punch by the Karius with a header from Lovren. When the ball comes off Milner, there's no way that would be considered offside. I'm not sure why a deliberate punch by Karius would be any different.

FWIW, I think the ref/linesman initially reckoned the ball came off the City player rather than Milner.

5 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Really?

Foy emphasised the term 'intentionally played the ball'.

So if a keeper punches it off a defender that would not be offside? (That's exactly what happened to ayr at the weekend and the ref told our gaffer that it was correctly offside due to that rule).

I actually think milner did play the ball (rather than it being accidental) so it doesn't matter anyway. But I think the ref here might argue that's why they disallowed it.

Well that has to be new. I ref’d (amateur level) for many years, and there was no deliberate or accidental, as that would be ridiculously difficult to adjudicate.  For example, a forward stands on the opposition 18 yard line. A defender, 10 yards further up the park, rattles the ball off another defenders head who is 10 yards ahead of him.

The ball rebounds to the forward who is standing on the 18 yard line. He rattles it into the net. According to Foy, that should be offside. I reckon that is utter bollox, and it’s a perfectly good goal.

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

Replace the punch by the Karius with a header from Lovren. When the ball comes off Milner, there's no way that would be considered offside. I'm not sure why a deliberate punch by Karius would be any different.

FWIW, I think the ref/linesman initially reckoned the ball came off the City player rather than Milner.

Absolutely agree with you.

Archived