The Celtic All Seasons thread

6 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Considering the point was in reply to the post recognising our achievements since Fergus McCann helped steady the ship and start bringing success back to Celtic - which is ironically almost 25 years - then why would I focus on any other timeline?  The narrative was already set before I posted.

I’m not sure why you have an issue with it, I also recognise Rangers dominance of the 25 years prior despite there being no significant swing until the late 80’s.

Who decides what % differential can define a period of dominance? No one it’s my opinion which seems to have triggered a couple of you 🤷‍♂️

Course it's your opinion, I happen to have a different one. It's a fairly trivial debate with no real substance, I just found it amusing as you were the first to peddle the claim (myth) of "25 years of dominance". 

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

Course it's your opinion, I happen to have a different one. It's a fairly trivial debate with no real substance, I just found it amusing as you were the first to peddle the claim (myth) of "25 years of dominance". 

And I’ll keep peddling it since in my opinion it’s true and you also find it amusing 😊

win win

47 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

They are miles better than last season, particularly defensively and undoubtedly mentally. Last season they were alright but plenty of room for improvement. The core of the team has largely remained the same this season and that’s the key point. This season the core of the squad have been there for a season or more, settled and bedded in then bolstered with a couple of key signings. Rangers were never going to be a quick fix. They were still a team/club in transition even under Gerrard’s tenure and it’s rare that a series of signings immediately click and are successful immediately. Perhaps not the analogy the staunchest of the staunch would approve of but “Rome wasn’t built in a day”.

44 minutes ago, bennett said:

Ridiculous as it sounds I kind of agree with this, we had a good footballing side but..

We were soft last season, too easily knocked about in games that got physical and we struggled to break down teams playing a low block.

Coaching and squad strength have improved this season and the team look miles better for it.

I understand where you're both coming from and accept the argument but it turned to shit last season when you crumbled under the pressure.

You've been relatively unbothered this whole season. I think that has helped too.

Just now, Jinky67 said:

Also why the f**k is this thread “dominated” (see what I did there @AJF?) by fans of the blue (dark) side of Glasgow? 

It needed some TLC after going a bit stale since Lenny departed.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

I understand where you're both coming from and accept the argument but it turned to shit last season when you crumbled under the pressure.

You've been relatively unbothered this whole season. I think that has helped too.

As has playing in front of no fans. In my opinion that has allowed them to play with freedom and no pressure whereas previously where games have been tight and fans have been getting on their back they have buckled.

Just now, Jinky67 said:

Who genuinely thinks this? 🤣

I hope we win, i hope Rangers win so that Rangers go to Parkhead needing only a point. 

Lets see if these players still have some bottle left

People in the comment section. 

I actually think we'll probably lose at Parkhead anyway tbh. 

Just now, Stormzy said:

People in the comment section. 

I actually think we'll probably lose at Parkhead anyway tbh. 

to be honest if we had to lose the league to Rangers at home then its nothing more than these players deserve for what they have turned in this season, it means nothing more to me than that. 

I want to see if they have the mettle to give the fans at least something back for this shitshow. 

12 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Who genuinely thinks this? 🤣

I hope we win, i hope Rangers win so that Rangers go to Parkhead needing only a point. 

Lets see if these players still have some bottle left

It’s not something that bothers me tbh, it’s just an empty stadium. Just have to console myself with the fact they can’t party like they would’ve on a normal season.  

3 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

It’s not something that bothers me tbh, it’s just an empty stadium. Just have to console myself with the fact they can’t party like they would’ve on a normal season.  

I'm over it, i have been for a long time and thought i would feel worse than i do. I agree the feeling is probably tempered by the fact we cant attend games so feel somewhat disconnected from it.

If i'm being honest i felt a little like that last season when we won the league, it didn't feel very real because again we didn't get to see it or celebrate it as we normally would. 

I also want to see Celtic win these next 2 matches but not to stop Rangers winning it at Parkhead but because i feel they owe us both a performance and a result

Afternoon all. Friendly reminder that United are doing virtual tickets for Sunday. £5 a pop and there is a specific away fans draw that you guys can enter and there are some free ticket and hospo prizes for the next United v Celtic game at Tannadice once fans are allowed in. Link below:

https://soldouttannadice.co.uk/collections/frontpage/products/away-end-virtual-ticket

3 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

As has playing in front of no fans. In my opinion that has allowed them to play with freedom and no pressure whereas previously where games have been tight and fans have been getting on their back they have buckled.

I’ve seen a few fans mention this, and others have also said on the opposite side of the city, Celtic have suffered more than other clubs without fans.

But I just seen a tweet the summed it up quite nicely in saying without fans in any stadiums it’s essentially brought it down to pure football and a level playing field for everyone. 

also, by the time rangers regressed and started playing close games against other teams, celtic had already crumbled and lost the league.

the absence of crowds was likely a good thing for celtic and probably had no impact on rangers.

19 minutes ago, G51 said:

also, by the time rangers regressed and started playing close games against other teams, celtic had already crumbled and lost the league.

the absence of crowds was likely a good thing for celtic and probably had no impact on rangers.

I disagree but only to a small extent

Take the first Old Firm game for example, there is no way the team is allowed to play that passively with a crowd in the stadium, they just wouldn't accept it. Players do react to the noise, the chants and the comments. 

Would the result change? Maybe not however the performance wouldn't have been as lacklustre as it was and if we so happened to win that game then it becomes difficult to predict what would happen next. I think loosing that game especially in the manner we did had a significant effect on our season and firmly planted the seed of doubt in players, fans and it has escalated from there

To blame our entire season on Covid and no fans would also be ridiculous and unfair as some teams i.e. Rangers have played above themselves, they may have even played at a better level with fans also. Our players are highly paid enough to do much much better however you also cannot ignore the impact fans have

Also i do believe if fans were in attendance and Celtic were performing at the level we have seen this season, a change of manager would have happened much more quickly than it did

Edited by Jinky67

6 minutes ago, G51 said:

Prob agree with that, rangers had decent early season home fixtures and a good winning start would’ve got the fans behind them rather than in top of them and prob pushed on from there anyway. Which would’ve also put pressure on us. Not sure it would’ve panned out much different.  

10 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Also i do believe if fans were in attendance and Celtic were performing at the level we have seen this season, a change of manager would have happened much more quickly than it did

Not even sure Pep could’ve got that shower to play above themselves.