The Celtic All Seasons thread

5 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Kinda thought that would be too difficult for you to grasp. 

He's been carrying celtic all season and is the leagues top scorer. Celtics problems imo seem to be more from a lack of creativity in midfield and some very amusing defensive blunders.

On 22/02/2021 at 21:55, 54_and_counting said:

If 30k remain thats 18mill in ST sales, last year celtic expenses were 80mill, so how is the club going to make up 62mill? 

See the source image

33 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

4 soon to be 5 additional trophies over a 130 period is pretty negligible. 

And Scottish footballs greatest achievement belongs to us, so I’m pretty happy to behind Rangers in total trophies because we will always standalone for our achievements in Europe and always be remembered for having the greatest team ever in Scottish football.

I don’t think I’d trade that for an additional 5 domestic trophies 

My original comment was made with tongue firmly in cheek mate, I was using your own logic against you (Team A won the most trophies over a set period of time = dominating).

So now we seem to be at an impasse with two contradictory claims:

1. Celtic won the most trophies in the last 25 years so they dominated that period
  2. Rangers won the most trophies in the last 130 years but they never dominated that period

Seems a bit silly, eh.

£15m for Edouard would be brutally low. Maybe ok if there is a big % sell on fee but it's less than what I'd have expected Celtic to get for him last summer despite the COVID market. 

Ultimately it kind of shows that Lennon wasn't the only real problem this season. The other major issue, just as important, has been the short term illogical transfer policy. A ridiculous amount of loan players for instance and the decision to keep Edouard last summer doesn't make sense in hindsight at least.

8 minutes ago, AJF said:

My original comment was made with tongue firmly in cheek mate, I was using your own logic against you (Team A won the most trophies over a set period of time = dominating).

1. Celtic won the most trophies in the last 25 years so they dominated that period
  2. Rangers won the most trophies in the last 130 years but they never dominated that period

Seems a bit silly, eh.

You really need to compare the totals to other clubs in those periods to see if it’s domination. Can’t be arsed doing it myself.  

2 minutes ago, DMCs said:

£15m for Edouard would be brutally low. Maybe ok if there is a big % sell on fee but it's less than what I'd have expected Celtic to get for him last summer despite the COVID market. 

Ultimately it kind of shows that Lennon wasn't the only real problem this season. The other major issue, just as important, has been the short term illogical transfer policy. A ridiculous amount of loan players for instance and the decision to keep Edouard last summer doesn't make sense in hindsight at least.

It sure they had any concrete offers for him, or maybe they needed him for the ‘10’ 

3 minutes ago, DMCs said:

He can go for nothing next year though. That will always reduce any potential fee this summer.

36 minutes ago, bennett said:

He's been carrying celtic all season and is the leagues top scorer. Celtics problems imo seem to be more from a lack of creativity in midfield and some very amusing defensive blunders.

Again, no one is arguing with that, you’re just stating the obvious. Doesn’t mean he was happy at Celtic this season and wasn’t going through the motions. 

Just now, Merkland Red said:

He can go for nothing next year though. That will always reduce any potential fee this summer.

Exactly. That's what I mean though. A longer term focus would have meant selling him last summer for more. However perhaps related to the search for 10iar and being scared of fan reaction they kept on to him. The short termism is apparent in other areas such as all these loan signings. Celtic have needed a left winger since Sinclair went off the boil but decided to loan someone in rather than get a guy in that spot of a good age. Or loaning in a left-back when what they needed was a first choice pick. Or not getting a young CB to take over when Ajer leaves.

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Aye but he’s not Celtic-minded. Give them a contract extension for Scott Brown any day. A guid Sellic man.

And they wonder why they struggle in Europe.

It's wild.

Best striker in Scotland for decades, dragged their abysmal team to 2nd after staying a season longer than his ability deserved, yet because he's not sprinting about for 90 minutes full pelt he's "not interested" and they're happy to get rid of him.

4 minutes ago, DMCs said:

Exactly. That's what I mean though. A longer term focus would have meant selling him last summer for more. However perhaps related to the search for 10iar and being scared of fan reaction they kept on to him. The short termism is apparent in other areas such as all these loan signings. Celtic have needed a left winger since Sinclair went off the boil but decided to loan someone in rather than get a guy in that spot of a good age. Or loaning in a left-back when what they needed was a first choice pick. Or not getting a young CB to take over when Ajer leaves.

Celtic's squad is pretty badly built. Lot of contracts expiring at the wrong time. It's as if they didn't really think about what happens after this season.

They have two assets on long-term contracts: McGregor and Turnbull. Even with that, McGregor turns 28 in June. I think a lot of people who looked at Celtic's squad last year saw this coming.

The size of the job the sporting director has in the summer cannot be underestimated.

47 minutes ago, AJF said:

Seems a bit silly, eh.

That wasn’t my logic though was it? I even alluded to it a few posts back so really surprised you have tried to dumb it down to Team A winning most trophies over a set period = dominating

My logic was based on the % of major trophies won over that period which in Celtics case amounts to almost half which is huge. The next most successful club in that period which ofc is Rangers account for around 30% of all major trophies won. That is a significant margin between the 2. 

The same logic could be applied in Rangers favour for the 25 year previous to that from around 72 to 97 which despite that period starting during Celtics 1st 9iar row era, Rangers won a much higher % of major domestic honours than anyone else. 

The margin between major domestic honours won between Celtic and Rangers over a 130 year period is less than1% hence my answer of no.

So seems a bit silly to criticise my logic when it seems you didn’t have a grasp of it in the first place, eh 😉

Edited by Jinky67

13 hours ago, Forever_blueco said:

I mean it’s in the Celtic thread . The discussion is Celtic related . You chose to click on it and get annoyed . it’s quite easy to avoid 

13 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

Obviously not as easy to understand. 

Cute.

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's wild.

Best striker in Scotland for decades, dragged their abysmal team to 2nd after staying a season longer than his ability deserved, yet because he's not sprinting about for 90 minutes full pelt he's "not interested" and they're happy to get rid of him.

He’s a good striker but the best in decades? Decades being plural to me would be at least 20 years which includes the best years of the Henrik Larsson era.

Behave yourself ffs 😂

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's wild.

I’m not sure I agree that he’s the best for decades however agree with your other point.

Compare it to how Brendan done business though. Anticipated Dembele would leave therefore got Edouard in on loan to acclimatise him the Scottish football then when Dembele was sold bought Edouard who was already embedded at the club.

Brendan goes and you now have Edouard going for a lower fee and nobody in place to step in.

Lennon let guys like Brown, McGregor and Griffiths have the run of the place who’s only ambition was to beat Rangers so they could strut about the place. It’s mental how they have let their standards slip.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

He's been your best player by miles, and dragged you through games single handedly.

This "doesn't look interested" pish about him is just weird from Celtic fans.

You said that in a game where Morelos scored a brace earlier in the season tbf. 

33 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's wild.

Pushing Willy hard for top stop in the trolling table. 

36 minutes ago, DMCs said:

Yeah that's fair enough. Misinterpreted your other post as you do pretty much confirm that in your second paragraph.

In defence of Celtic, I think we'd be saying similar about Rangers if Celtic had won the league this season. Both teams have stretched themselves financially to win the league this season and the gamble has paid off for Rangers.