The Celtic All Seasons thread

Watch this space for the Daily Record claiming he’s a ‘boyhood’ Celtic fan [emoji23].

He is a Celtic fan, been mentioned several times in the press already, and his brother tweets about it a fair bit. There was a video online recently of him in his local pub after a Celtic game.

Just now, Romeo said:

Good to see Duffy finally sign on a year loan.

Probably the best signing of the window so far.

Not concerned that you're spending £4m on a years loan for a player that plays in a position of strength for you anyway?

Not concerned that you're spending £4m on a years loan for a player that plays in a position of strength for you anyway?
Given that theirs and your club explode into a cloud of utter irrelevance after reaching the absolute false idol of a goal that is 10iar, I am sure they consider it absolitely worth it. Given that you define define yourselves on getting one over the other, once they reach 10, theres f**k all left.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
7 minutes ago, G51 said:

Given that theirs and your club explode into a cloud of utter irrelevance after reaching the absolute false idol of a goal that is 10iar, I am sure they consider it absolitely worth it. Given that you define define yourselves on getting one over the other, once they reach 10, theres f**k all left.

Even if Duffy increases their chances of winning the league by a few percentage points, does that mean it was a good use of resources in a year where CL qualification didn't happen?

It looks like further evidence of the mismanagement of the transfer strategy to me. Spending a lot of money and not extracting a lot of value.

11 minutes ago, G51 said:

Even if Duffy increases their chances of winning the league by a few percentage points, does that mean it was a good use of resources in a year where CL qualification didn't happen?

It looks like further evidence of the mismanagement of the transfer strategy to me. Spending a lot of money and not extracting a lot of value.

Celtic don't budget for CL dosh plus how can it be mismanagement when Celtic can afford to do it?

19 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Celtic don't budget for CL dosh plus how can it be mismanagement when Celtic can afford to do it?

Celtic have £33m in the bank and a wage bill of £60m p.a.

If Lawwell wants to preserve that cash balance (and he seems to, for whatever reason) then Celtic either need CL football or a big sale every year.

15 minutes ago, G51 said:

Celtic have £33m in the bank and a wage bill of £60m p.a.

If Lawwell wants to preserve that cash balance (and he seems to, for whatever reason) then Celtic either need CL football or a big sale every year.

Celtic buy and sell players every year it has little or no effect on what Celtic have in the bank,why are you worried about Celtic's resources?

Edited by wastecoatwilly

3 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Not in the slightest.

You do know that most teams have more than 11 players in their squad?

Oh absolutely, I just query the wisdom of spending £4m for one year of Shane Duffy when Everton are paying that for one year of James Rodriguez.

16 minutes ago, G51 said:

Oh absolutely, I just query the wisdom of spending £4m for one year of Shane Duffy when Everton are paying that for one year of James Rodriguez.

Your team literally spent millions on two strikers when it was already a position of strength.

Tried to do the same with a CM when that position is already of a high enough standard that McCrorie can leave for relative peanuts.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

Your team literally spent millions on two strikers when it was already a position of strength.

Tried to do the same with a CM when that position is already of a high enough standard that McCrorie can leave for relative peanuts.

Sure, but we bought those players outright with the potential to move them on for a profit. That's the difference.

If folk think £4m on a one year loan is a good deal, they're entitled to. Football is all about opinions. I'm just not sure Duffy will be able to provide good value for that outlay given that Celtic's main source of competition revenue is already gone.

9 minutes ago, G51 said:

Sure, but we bought those players outright with the potential to move them on for a profit. That's the difference.

If folk think £4m on a one year loan is a good deal, they're entitled to. Football is all about opinions. I'm just not sure Duffy will be able to provide good value for that outlay given that Celtic's main source of competition revenue is already gone.

You could argue Rangers overspent on an injury prone striker?

If either win the league then they won't care.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

You could argue Rangers overspent on an injury prone striker?

If either win the league then they won't care.

Roofe? We got him at a discount compared to what Anderlecht paid. And again, owning the player outright is the difference here.

And sure, Celtic fans won't care if they win the league. But it comes back to what we were talking about a few days ago regarding short and long term strategies. It's signings like these that ensure Celtic keep losing in the next years CL qualifiers. They might care then.