The Celtic All Seasons thread

Just now, DMCs said:

You've had an embarrassing week on here.

First you were excessively over confident which is blown up right in your face.

Now you are trying to slag people based on their employment or class position.

A real riddy all round. Not as much of a riddy as Angeball mind.

Mate, I don’t get embarrassed on an internet forum interacting with strangers. You are struggling to differentiate real life from some helmets on a message board here.

Your comments on slagging folk on their employment or class position, now that is embarrassing. For you. Give yourself a shake and stick to the “you’re hurting” shite. It’s safer ground for you.

20 minutes ago, Henrik's tongue said:

With all due respect mate, this is why you work in a call centre and not in football.

I think there is merit to what he is saying. For all the possession Celtic had, the match never appeared to be controlled by them in the way you'd normally see with possession stats like that. I think that is also highlighted by the fact that Rangers got more shots away than Celtic too.

It's been a strength of this Rangers side under the current coaching team where we sacrifice possession of the ball in areas we believe teams can't hurt us, but then press in the areas we don't want them. Granted, it leads to occasions where opportunities do arise, like yesterday, but then we have a normally solid defence to rely on.

Should I tell you what my profession is as well so you can make a condescending remark about it because I disagree with you?

Just now, DMCs said:

In what sense? 

Thinking I was demeaning people for working in call centres. I could easily have typed nursing, brick laying, taxi driving or running a private hedge fund, but call centre was simply the first job that popped into my head, probably because my wife used to work in one.

The point I was making was you should stick to the day job when it comes to football analysis.
I’m about as working class as ferrets and flat caps personally.

5 minutes ago, AJF said:

I think there is merit to what he is saying. For all the possession Celtic had, the match never appeared to be controlled by them in the way you'd normally see with possession stats like that. I think that is also highlighted by the fact that Rangers got more shots away than Celtic too.

It's been a strength of this Rangers side under the current coaching team where we sacrifice possession of the ball in areas we believe teams can't hurt us, but then press in the areas we don't want them. Granted, it leads to occasions where opportunities do arise, like yesterday, but then we have a normally solid defence to rely on.

Should I tell you what my profession is as well so you can make a condescending remark about it because I disagree with you?

I don’t know what his proffesion is ffs. See my post above.

The rest of your post is shite btw.

Just now, Henrik's tongue said:

I don’t know what his proffesion is ffs. See my post above.

The rest of your post is shite btw.

Use your words to explain why you disagree with me rather than just label it as shite without any basis. It is most definitely a tactic Rangers employ, particularly against Celtic. The perfect example is the game where we won 2-1 at Celtic Park in December 2019.

Celtic had 60% possession that day, similar to yesterday but Rangers managed more shots and more importantly, won that game too. That day we allowed Frimpong unlimited time on the ball until he got to the final third because we identified that he had no final product.

Also similarly that day, we conceded chances due to this game plan, but we relied on our defence too where McGregor made a penalty save and we cleared one off the line. It's one of the risks you take playing like where eventually a decent side will create something, but allowing teams uncontested possession of the ball in "safe" areas is 100% a tactic we employ.

24 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

I think he will be part of the first team for sure, just don't know if he will immediately go in before Welsh. Apologies if i made it seem otherwise. I'll be honest though i haven't seen much of him so will see how he does when he gets here

Time will tell mate. When it’s all done and dusted I think you’ll win the league. I think Ange has an even bigger financial edge over the other teams than Ronny did and he was successful.

Anyway, good luck for the season ahead 👍.

Henriks Tongue is insulting anyone with a pulse so I’m away before he starts on me.

9 minutes ago, AJF said:

Use your words to explain why you disagree with me rather than just label it as shite without any basis. It is most definitely a tactic Rangers employ, particularly against Celtic. The perfect example is the game where we won 2-1 at Celtic Park in December 2019.

Celtic had 60% possession that day, similar to yesterday but Rangers managed more shots and more importantly, won that game too. That day we allowed Frimpong unlimited time on the ball until he got to the final third because we identified that he had no final product.

Also similarly that day, we conceded chances due to this game plan, but we relied on our defence too where McGregor made a penalty save and we cleared one off the line. It's one of the risks you take playing like where eventually a decent side will create something, but allowing teams uncontested possession of the ball in "safe" areas is 100% a tactic we employ.

Not disputing Rangers tactic of conceding possession in areas etc. Or the fact Rangers got more shots away however the vast majority of those were pretty speculative bar the goal and maybe Kents off the post.

Celtic had 3 chances where we not could have scored but should have scored, the only chance Rangers should have scored is the 1 they did score and that's all that matters at the end of the day. 

So this suggestion it was easy for Rangers or that they were in total control is a bit of a fallacy. 

Edited by Jinky67

1 minute ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Time will tell mate. When it’s all done and dusted I think you’ll win the league. I think Ange has an even bigger financial edge over the other teams than Ronny did and he was successful.

Henriks Tongue is insulting anyone with a pulse so I’m away before he starts on me.

No worries mate, always find you fair minded and actually good to talk about football with. 👍

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

Use your words to explain why you disagree with me 

We now know your profession. Teacher. Primary school teacher at that! “Show your working, class” (get it?)

But I will answer. No two fitba games are the same. Sure, you can continually employ the same tactics against the same teams, but to say that will work 100% is just sheer fantasy.

That was a completely different Celtic team yesterday with a completely different manager who played different  tactics to Neil Lennon’s team. You can kid yourselves that you controlled that game yesterday but you didn’t. It was a French Eddy brain-fart away from being a draw - which would have been a fair result.

Get back to me if you beat us in the next one at Celtic Park and we’ll talk.

Is that acceptable, please Sir? ;) 

7 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

You’re actually ok and you don’t talk shite so fire away ;) 

6 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Not disputing Rangers tactic of conceding possession in areas etc. Or the fact Rangers got more shots away however the vast majority of those were pretty speculative bar the goal and maybe Kents off the post.

Celtic had 3 chances where we not could have scored but should have scored, the only chance Rangers should have scored is the 1 they did score and that's all that matters at the end of the day. 

I'm certainly not disputing the fact that the quality of Celtic's key chances were greater yesterday, I was more specifically stating that while Celtic had the majority of possession it was not any kind of indicator that they were dominant given we've seen this play before. I also agree with @DMCsthat for all the possession Celtic had, they done relatively little with it for a large portion of the match.

2 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

You’ve not mentioned Dembele so I’m guessing you think he’s miles away from the first team picture ?

I think you are spot on about the left back mate. Given Ange played a right back out of position on his debut then he’s not going to trust Bolingoli or Montgomery to play there.

McCarthy is a strange on. He’s clearly a good player but there was always the risk, given his injury record, that he’d miss a lot of games.

What I think is a positive is the backing the board have given Ange. Financially, he’s had a lot of money to spend by Scottish standards and McKay very much operates in the background which is very different from how Lawell was.

Dembele injury I think is going to be some time before hes fit, not this year anyway

4 minutes ago, Henrik's tongue said:

We now know your profession. Teacher. Primary school teacher at that! “Show your working, class” (get it?)

But I will answer. No two fitba games are the same. Sure, you can continually employ the same tactics against the same teams, but to say that will work 100% is just sheer fantasy.

That was a completely different Celtic team yesterday with a completely different manager who played different  tactics to Neil Lennon’s team. You can kid yourselves that you controlled that game yesterday but you didn’t. It was a French Eddy brain-fart away from being a draw - which would have been a fair result.

Get back to me if you beat us in the next one at Celtic Park and we’ll talk.

Is that acceptable, please Sir? ;) 

No two football games are the same, but they are a good indicator of how a team sets out to play in certain matches against certain opposition. I never said that it will work 100%, and in fact, I said it's a tactic with risks associated with it where decent sides will create chances, at which point you then need to rely on the quality of your defensive players.

I also never said we controlled the game either. I thought it was relatively even but we found a way to win. That doesn't mean that our tactic to allow teams possession in areas we believe is safe wasn't being used. As was said previously, a lot of Celtic's passes were across the back 5 or popped into midfield only to then go back to the defenders or keeper while we maintained our shape.

I'm not sure what you're expecting me to get back to you with. I 100% anticipate we will use the same strategy of conceding possession in those areas in the next game too, whether we win or not is immaterial to the point I'm making.

4 minutes ago, AJF said:

No two football games are the same, but they are a good indicator of how a team sets out to play in certain matches against certain opposition. I never said that it will work 100%, and in fact, I said it's a tactic with risks associated with it where decent sides will create chances, at which point you then need to rely on the quality of your defensive players.

I also never said we controlled the game either. I thought it was relatively even but we found a way to win. That doesn't mean that our tactic to allow teams possession in areas we believe is safe wasn't being used. As was said previously, a lot of Celtic's passes were across the back 5 or popped into midfield only to then go back to the defenders or keeper while we maintained our shape.

I'm not sure what you're expecting me to get back to you with. I 100% anticipate we will use the same strategy of conceding possession in those areas in the next game too, whether we win or not is immaterial to the point I'm making.

Mate, my thumb’s sore.

f**k off.

1 minute ago, AJF said:

I'm certainly not disputing the fact that the quality of Celtic's key chances were greater yesterday, I was more specifically stating that while Celtic had the majority of possession it was not any kind of indicator that they were dominant given we've seen this play before. I also agree with @DMCsthat for all the possession Celtic had, they done relatively little with it for a large portion of the match.

I understand what you mean, dominating possession doesn't automatically mean dominant in the game however what i'm challenging is that this game was somehow a stroll for Rangers or that Celtic never deserved to get a result from the match. 

If any of those chances went in i dont think anyone would challenge a draw as being a fair result on the balance of play. It was a tight game, not a great game by any stretch both teams can play much better than yesterday but it was tight.

I actually thought we were really poor in midfield. The trio of McGregor, Turnbull and Christie just weren't effective, the 2nd half until Eddie went off was quite reminiscent of last season where we weren't always looking to play forward. Turnbull when played more advanced just doesn't seem to have the same impact. He played there against AZ and again didn't have his best game. Would have liked us to be braver and look for more balls in behind. 

I thought defensively we were a little better. There weren't as many individual errors however this determination to play around at the back terrifies me. Hart for sure isn't the quickest on his feet and he was forced a couple of times to put the ball out. Tough game for Juranovic to come in and play out of position but that just highlights our need for a left back.