The Celtic All Seasons thread

6 hours ago, G-MAN said:

For all those with short memories.

What is Shay doing wrong before he is confronted?

He exchanges words with Mikael Lustig then swings for him. Swinging for another player was not enough for the referee to send him off because presumably the referee couldn’t really be arsed in the last game of the season until Logan continued to lose the plot.

Edited by The OP

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

See if Celtic fans are so offended by the likes of Logan winding up a crowd, why do they w**k themselves into a fizz when "Broony" or Griffiths do it?

They tend to do it in good humour rather than getting no attention for their ironic applause, getting annoyed by that so swinging at and verbally abusing any opposition players who try and talk to them and then losing the plot until the police need to persuade them to leave the park.

I suppose a successful wind up is all about being in control of your emotions and ensuring there is a disproportionate reaction on the other side of it.

The question here though is whether Logan was actually racially abused but chose not to mention it despite clearly being very, very annoyed, seeking attention on and off the park and trying to provoke further confrontation on social media.

Edited by The OP

It's not like fans to misquote, or throw around conjecture in these situations.

The first BR quote he's clearly responding to any "alleged" racial abuse, that nobody other than Logan has witnessed.

The second BR quote he's clearly responding to Logan's over-the-top celebrations and subsequent red card offence.

Even the reporter has cleared that up for all those illiterate types.

But I suppose it's a lot more fun to play 'who's that racist?' game.

They tend to do it in good humour rather than getting no attention for their ironic applause, getting annoyed by that so swinging at and verbally abusing any opposition players who try and talk to them and then losing the plot until the police need to persuade them to leave the park.
I suppose a successful wind up is all about being in control of your emotions and ensuring there is a disproportionate reaction on the other side of it.
The question here though is whether Logan was actually racially abused but chose not to mention it despite clearly being very, very annoyed and trying to provoke further confrontation on social media.
Lustig, Boyata and others had no reason to go near him and clearly did so in a confrontational way. You wont find me defending Logan for swinging at Lustig btw. Resorting to violence is worse than verbal abuse, even the racist kind. But Boyata and Griffiths both launced the ball at Logan so they are as bad.

Anyway, if you think Griffiths wiping his snot on the corner flag is just jokey banter I dont know what to tell you. I mean, I do find it funny, but given the atmosphere and the fact that its a stadium filled with two sets of fans who collectively cant leave Northern Irish history alone, and are able to influence domestic violence rates across an entore country each time they play eachother, I dont think you can make a case that its anything other than inflammatory.

The question here though is whether Logan was actually racially abused but chose not to mention it despite clearly being very, very annoyed, seeking attention on and off the park and trying to provoke further confrontation on social media.

Don't mean to rain on your legal brains parade here, but that's not a question. It's a series of unrelated statements blaming the alleged victim of abuse for having the temerity to report it.

Did you miss the handy guide I wrote on the subject on the previous page?

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Lustig, Boyata and others had no reason to go near him and clearly did so in a confrontational way. You wont find me defending Logan for swinging at Lustig btw. Resorting to violence is worse than verbal abuse, even the racist kind. But Boyata and Griffiths both launced the ball at Logan so they are as bad.

Anyway, if you think Griffiths wiping his snot on the corner flag is just jokey banter I dont know what to tell you. I mean, I do find it funny, but given the atmosphere and the fact that its a stadium filled with two sets of fans who collectively cant leave Northern Irish history alone, and are able to influence domestic violence rates across an entore country each time they play eachother, I dont think you can make a case that its anything other than inflammatory.

Pretty sure players generally speak to each other at the end of games. All the other Aberdeen players seemed to be doing it when Logan was initially trying and failing to get a reaction.

I can understand his chagrin after the Tonev incident, and having to wait four years for a GIRUY after a meaningless win would be even more annoying but he behaved like a dick and so I’m sceptical about any ex post facto claims about things that happened in a very public place. 

1 minute ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Don't mean to rain on your legal brains parade here, but that's not a question. It's a series of unrelated statements blaming the alleged victim of abuse for having the temerity to report it.

Did you miss the handy guide I wrote on the subject on the previous page?

It is a question. It is indicated by the word ‘whether’.

Pretty sure players generally speak to each other at the end of games. All the other Aberdeen players seemed to be doing it when Logan was initially trying and failing to get a reaction.
I can understand his chagrin after the Tonev incident, and having to wait four years for a GIRUY after a meaningless win would be even more annoying but he behaved like a dick and so I’m sceptical about any ex post facto claims about things that happened in a very public place. 
He behaved like a footballer. Like some Celtic footballers do and are lauded for it, was my point. This whole narrative that Logan was somehow acting like a dick as justification for his treatment is smoke and mirrors. I appreciate hypocrisy is rife in football fandom. We all do it, myself included. But thats what this is, and if Scott Brown or Leigh Griffiths were getting balls launched at their head and pushed and shoved off the park at Ibrox, theres no way you would ever be on here saying ah well they deserved it. Nor would Rodgers.

6 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Whether it is proposition a) or proposition b).

Where's the b)? (And the question mark?)

There's no b), ergo, vis a vis, quid pro quo, that's not a question.

The alternative is indicated without being stated - file under things that probably didnae happen. 

Ordinary use of the English language seems to be troubling you for some reason.

11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
16 minutes ago, The OP said:

He behaved like a footballer. Like some Celtic footballers do and are lauded for it, was my point. This whole narrative that Logan was somehow acting like a dick as justification for his treatment is smoke and mirrors. I appreciate hypocrisy is rife in football fandom. We all do it, myself included. But thats what this is, and if Scott Brown or Leigh Griffiths were getting balls launched at their head and pushed and shoved off the park at Ibrox, theres no way you would ever be on here saying ah well they deserved it. Nor would Rodgers.

It’s not an excuse for his treatment. It’s speculating whether, other than some mild booing when he touched the ball, he got any treatment.

It’s not an excuse for his treatment. It’s speculating whether, other than some mild booing when he touched the ball, he got any treatment.
As I understand it, he has been getting that treatment ever since he reported racism from a Celtic player. As a club whose fans love a moral stance (see Palestine flags etc) I would expect a more positive forward thinking anti racism message/effort to be made to make peace with Logan, rahter than these weak attempts to deflect and distribute blame. That is..... unless all of that stuff is point scoring bullshit.

The alternative is indicated without being stated - file under things that probably didnae happen. 
Ordinary use of the English language seems to be troubling you for some reason.
"The question here though is whether Logan was actually racially abused [miscellaneous victim blaming] OR if this is just a pure big mad plot against Ra sellik byraway?"

Is that what you're "indicating." Shays wrong, the anti-racism charity, they're wrong, the whole world outside of sellik park, they're all wrong, St Brendan of Victim Blaming he's spot on and we're the best fans in the world according to a twitter poll so none of us are racist?

Is that it?

I can see why that went unstated, quite embarrassing for you.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
20 minutes ago, The OP said:

As I understand it, he has been getting that treatment ever since he reported racism from a Celtic player. As a club whose fans love a moral stance (see Palestine flags etc) I would expect a more positive forward thinking anti racism message/effort to be made to make peace with Logan, rahter than these weak attempts to deflect and distribute blame. That is..... unless all of that stuff is point scoring bullshit.

What is going to happen is the booing of Logan will intensify and trolls on social media will target him. I neither have a strong opinion on Palestine nor do I boo him, but it is in the nature of some football supporters to escalate bad blood with an opposition footballer in these circumstances.

I also realise now I didn’t overtly state the alternative in the post you quoted after using the word “whether” so williemillersmoustache will be wondering what the f**k is going on.

Just now, williemillersmoustache said:

"The question here though is whether Logan was actually racially abused [miscellaneous victim blaming] OR if this is just a pure big mad plot against Ra sellik byraway?"

Is that what you're "indicating." Shays wrong, the anti-racism charity, they're wrong, the whole world outside of sellik park, they're all wrong, St Brendan of Victim Blaming he's spot on and we're the best fans in the world according to a twitter poll so none of us are racist?

Is that it?

I can see why that went unstated, quite embarrassing for you.

You’re a moron. “The question is whether dark matter exists.” OMG that’s not a question, what is the other option?!?!

Hopefully Logan volunteers some more information about where and when he was racially abused and whether anyone can corroborate his allegations. It is something I would like to see investigated but my current opinion in the circumstances is it probably didn’t happen. 

3 minutes ago, The OP said:

What is going to happen is the booing of Logan will intensify and trolls on social media will target him. I neither have a strong opinion on Palestine nor do I boo him, but it is in the nature of some football supporters to escalate bad blood with an opposition footballer in these circumstances.

I also realise now I didn’t overtly state the alternative in the post you quoted after using the word “whether” so williemillersmoustache will be wondering what the f**k is going on.

Actually he did.

"whether, other than some mild booing (prop a) when he touched the ball, he got any treatment (prop b)"

Perception is reality in cases like this. Logan has been getting booed ever since reporting the racial abuse. That booing will therefore of course be forever associated with racial abuse. Between that, Celtics refusal to condemn Tonevs actions and general victim blaming tone, its really not a good look.

Its really fucking unsavoury whatever way you look at it tbh, and regardless of whether Logan is a thicko/arsehole/both, Celtic fans desire to keep it going or escalate it utterly demeans them. Any fan who genuinely cared about their reputation and the politics they love to display at football matches would be keen to draw a line under it and encourage others to do the same. Complete lack of class from all concerned.

5 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Actually he did.

"whether, other than some mild booing (prop a) when he touched the ball, he got any treatment (prop b)"

That's not two propositions per your incredibly exacting use of the English language. I haven't stated 'or not' which would've been prop b. You seemed to manage there though. 

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Perception is reality in cases like this. Logan has been getting booed ever since reporting the racial abuse. That booing will therefore of course be forever associated with racial abuse. Between that, Celtics refusal to condemn Tonevs actions and general victim blaming tone, its really not a good look.

Its really fucking unsavoury whatever way you look at it tbh, and regardless of whether Logan is a thicko/arsehole/both, Celtic fans desire to keep it going or escalate it utterly demeans them. Any fan who genuinely cared about their reputation and the politics they love to display at football matches would be keen to draw a line under it and encourage others to do the same. Complete lack of class from all concerned.

I suppose the additional question in some people's minds is whether Tonev did in fact racially abuse him. I accept that he probably did.

(I would make a joke here about all Eastern Europeans being racist but I feel that now is not the time for tongue in cheek comments). 

Edited by The OP