The Celtic All Seasons thread

10 hours ago, Fratelli said:

Slot being 44 compared to Ange at 57 is a big factor. Slot will get a chance again. Ange probably wont - a basket case club in turmoil is probably the only time he'll get one of the so called top 6 jobs in England. A few dodgy results here + a pummeling in Europe could see him off those shortlists for good. If the offer from Spurs comes in i can't see him turning it down, and i don't blame him for that. The word is that Celtic are willing to counter Spurs offer with a contract that would see him the highest paid manager in Scottish football history, but i don't think that'll do it to be honest. He's an ambitious guy, he'll back himself to go down there and succeed. As i said the other day, i'm gutted but i understand it, don't hold any grudge towards him in the slightest and wish him all the best.

The only hope now is that some stumbling block emerges during the negotiations and it falls apart, but that's more wishful thinking than anything else.

This is a really good post.

I think a big consideration that the majority of people including the Scottish media seem to have missed is Postecoglu himself. If you read or listen to a lot of his interviews over the years, his heroes/idols aren’t guys like Ferguson, Stein or Mourinho but are in fact his mum and dad. He absolutely knows that his parents sacrificed their own quality of life to enhance their children’s opportunities of success.

His biggest value is that of family and if he thinks by moving to London and quadrupling his salary will benefit his children’s chances in life then he will go.

Knowing that about him would suggest that he is indeed a very, very decent man who puts his family first. If he does go to Tottenham then absolutely nobody should begrudge him the opportunity, and do you know what, he’d probably do a bloody good job there.

10 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I think a big consideration that the majority of people including the Scottish media seem to have missed is Postecoglu himself. If you read or listen to a lot of his interviews over the years, his heroes/idols aren’t guys like Ferguson, Stein or Mourinho but are in fact his mum and dad. He absolutely knows that his parents sacrificed their own quality of life to enhance their children’s opportunities of success.

His biggest value is that of family and if he thinks by moving to London and quadrupling his salary will benefit his children’s chances in life then he will go.

Knowing that about him would suggest that he is indeed a very, very decent man who puts his family first. If he does go to Tottenham then absolutely nobody should begrudge him the opportunity, and do you know what, he’d probably do a bloody good job there.

I don’t think anyone would begrudge him the move tbf my fear excluding the obvious one is that it in typical Spurs fashion it ends prematurely. He’s facing a similarish situation to the one he came into Celtic with, a squad devoid of confidence, underperforming and a lot of them looking for the exit and way off the standards they expect. Can he do the job? Absolutely. Will he be given the time he needs? That’s my worry for him.

Ultimately if he goes I’m sure the fanbase will be thankful for the job he has done, he picked us up off the floor, rebuilt us a good squad and if a new manager comes in it’s a great platform to start from but he will be hard to replace 

The rumour is Celtic are going to try counter any offer so I guess we will also see the value our own board place on the man

Edited by Jinky67

10 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

You’ve bumped your head. He and his family will experience stress at that mad club, if he thinks he’s getting away from religious bias that is the wrong choice. Good luck Ange you will not be that to fall into the money trap.

34 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

I would take your point if we were talking about a significant variance here but managers who both have a win % in the 30’s? Its close enough in my opinion.

But Ange’s win % has come mainly against inferior opposition given that Rodgers faced superior quality (even if both of them have a majority of wins in qualifying).

Ange’s loss % is also inferior than Rodgers.

Edited by AJF

4 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

I don’t think anyone would begrudge him the move tbf my fear excluding the obvious one is that it in typical Spurs fashion it ends prematurely. He’s facing a similarish situation to the one he came into Celtic with, a squad devoid of confidence, underperforming and a lot of them looking for the exit and way off the standards they expect. Can he do the job? Absolutely. Will he be given the time he needs? That’s my worry for him.

Ultimately if he goes I’m sure the fanbase will be thankful for the job he has done, he picked us up off the floor, rebuilt us a good squad and if a new manager comes in it’s a great platform to start from but he will be hard to replace 

The rumour is Celtic are going to try counter any offer so I guess we will also see the value our own board place on the man

Great you think that way but I’m sure a lot of Celtic fans won’t - think Rodgers, Lennon, Tierney as some recent examples.

I think you’ll replace well enough tbh - you might not get the same style of football but you’ll still win trophies on a very regular basis (see Lennon and Ronny) and a lot of fans only bother about that.

Counter offer will be interesting - Desmond can easily afford to match Spurs financially - let’s see how much he values Postecoglu.

2 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Great you think that way but I’m sure a lot of Celtic fans won’t - think Rodgers, Lennon, Tierney as some recent examples.

I think you’ll replace well enough tbh - you might not get the same style of football but you’ll still win trophies on a very regular basis (see Lennon and Ronny) and a lot of fans only bother about that.

Counter offer will be interesting - Desmond can easily afford to match Spurs financially - let’s see how much he values Postecoglu.

With Financial Fair Play, wouldn’t the amount of any contract Celtic could offer be restricted relative to their turnover? Meaning with Spurs having a higher turnover they’d be able to offer more (even if Desmond could match it)?

9 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

You’ve bumped your head. He and his family will experience stress at that mad club, if he thinks he’s getting away from religious bias that is the wrong choice. Good luck Ange you will not be that to fall into the money trap.

Nope, I’ve not bumped my head, but thanks for your concern.

Not sure what your last sentence means ?

6 minutes ago, AJF said:

With Financial Fair Play, wouldn’t the amount of any contract Celtic could offer be restricted relative to their turnover? Meaning with Spurs having a higher turnover they’d be able to offer more (even if Desmond could match it)?

I’m sure the money man could be smart in how they structure the contract and there will be leeway given Celtics players will earn a fraction of what Spurs players earn.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

17 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

How do you fancy Martin back with Broonie ? 

21 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

No and no. I loved MON but football has moved on now and his main trait was  the motivational side rather than an organiser so Im not sure DoF is  for him. Broony has only just started off in his managerial career so it's too soon for him imo.

I was actually intrigued to see how Postecoglu got on in the Champions League this season, but i guess we'll never know now.

Postecoglu is apparently on £40k a week/£2m a year.

Tottenhams last manager, Conte, was on £290k a week/£15m a year.

Its fanciful to think Celtic could get anywhere close to offering him enough to make it financially worthwhile. 

Im not even sure he'd stay if Celtic matched the wage anyway.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Postecoglu is apparently on £40k a week/£2m a year.

Tottenhams last manager, Conte, was on £290k a week/£15m a year.

Its fanciful to think Celtic could get anywhere close to offering him enough to make it financially worthwhile. 

Im not even sure he'd stay if Celtic matched the wage anyway.

I wouldn’t think that Spurs would be planning on offering Postecoglu the same money as Conte with Conte having a far better record across tougher European leagues and of course being a huge name.

Even though it would be mental money for Scottish football I could see Celtic taking a hit of about another £1m a year for his salary…..possibly up to double if they were really pushing the boat out. The cost of letting him go + replacing him minus any loss in CL money if the new manager doesn’t win the league would outweigh the extra wages offered to him.

However it is the Celtic board right enough so to pull a deal like that out of the bag would be really out of character for them.

It'll be interesting to see the mindset of the Japanese players that Ange has brought over, once he's offski. Transfer requests left right and centre I would imagine. No way they're wanting to be there with Broonie in charge. 

2 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

I wouldn’t think that Spurs would be planning on offering Postecoglu the same money as Conte with Conte having a far better record across tougher European leagues and of course being a huge name.

Even though it would be mental money for Scottish football I could see Celtic taking a hit of about another £1m a year for his salary…..possibly up to double if they were really pushing the boat out. The cost of letting him go + replacing him minus any loss in CL money if the new manager doesn’t win the league would outweigh the extra wages offered to him.

However it is the Celtic board right enough so to pull a deal like that out of the bag would be really out of character for them.

Aye he wont get that amount, but it helps highlight how far behind Celtic are financially.

Even for players he wants, suddenly he can get players earning 4/5 times what he could with Celtic. That helps him a lot as just now with Celtic it feels like teams can just leave their CBs on the ball and try and mark the rest out the game. If he gets a GK/CB who can cause problems for opponents on the ball then thats big for him.

Just now, kingjoey said:

It'll be interesting to see the mindset of the Japanese players that Ange has brought over, once he's offski. Transfer requests left right and centre I would imagine. No way they're wanting to be there with Broonie in charge. 

Theyll be lucky if Kyogo goes...

1 hour ago, AJF said:

But Ange’s win % has come mainly against inferior opposition given that Rodgers faced superior quality (even if both of them have a majority of wins in qualifying).

Ange’s loss % is also inferior than Rodgers.

Ange doesn’t have a majority of wins in qualifying and his loss % is always likely to be higher since 70% of his matches played have been in the group stages or beyond, for Rodgers that is about 50% so that suggests Ange may be playing better quality more often than Rodgers, granted the tenure is different but again if Ange stays he’s going straight into Champions League.

13 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Yeah Im also sceptical that Postecoglu is on 40 grand a week for much the same reasons. That's how much we were paying Rodgers who again was more recognised than Ange was. He might get that now though in the unlikely event he stays.

1 hour ago, annan4eva said:

Nope, i don’t want either of them. I’d go so far to say I don’t want anyone who is what you would call Celtic minded or with a previous connection to the club.

If he goes Knutsen would be my first choice even Graham Potter would intrigue me given what he did at Brighton but not sure we could afford him now after what he was earning at Chelsea. We need someone who can progress the club not just be a yes man that settles for just being in front of Rangers

19 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Nope, i don’t want either of them. I’d go so far to say I don’t want anyone who is what you would call Celtic minded or with a previous connection to the club.

^^^ still cries into his Brendan Rodger’s pillowcases