Hibernian Vs Partick Thistle - Saturday August 5

Right Lads it's game day, looking forward to travelling through to see a great game, a sell out as well, although the press through here would have you believe that its only games involving the Bigot Brother's that sell out.

Think this game a bit too early for some of our players, Keown , Turnbull and Osman, don't think they have had enough game time. If Archie is brave and plays our front 4 Erskine, Lawless Spittal and Dools then we will cause Hibs problems.

Couldn't have picked a better game for first of season.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 years of playing in the championship, heartbreaking last minute goals, getting close but not over the line, losing to shite like Alloa and Ayr, skelping hearts and the ****, the scott allan saga, from sitting in half empty stadiums to almost full home ends and sell out crowds, losing the league cup final, winning the Scottish cup, winning away in Brondby, those tight 1 goal wins last season. all of it has lead to today, 3 years in the waiting. dont care how we do it, just win.

Osman and Keown will play. They might not have had game time but they've no been sat on their arses eating chippies for the last two months. They'll have some stray passes early on but Osman and Keown are two of the lads who pride themselves on their shape from what Archie has said before. I reckon we could start with a three-at-the-back of Keown, Devine and Barton to weather the storm and then move Barton into midfield to play alongside Banzo and Osman.

Reckon Lawless will be the one to drop out for the extra CM as Erskine on the counter early on could be dangerous and Spittal's set piece delivery is too valuable on its own. When Lawless comes on he'll be dribbling past knackered defenders and tracking back himself so that'll be useful and will fill the gap of lively sub that Edwards leaves.

If we concede one early then it could be 3 or 4 before we know it so its key to get through the opening 20 minutes.

10 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

for me the second best game of the day two good footballing teams got the fear for the jags first 6 fixtures very tough
Hibs to edge this one 2-1 for me even thou the jags have a decent record at Easter road

What's the game of the day then? Surely not the game of shooty-in you're going to have against beleaguered bedraggled manager-less Hearts?

4 minutes ago, Griff Sheridan said:

What's the game of the day then? Surely not the game of shooty-in you're going to have against beleaguered bedraggled manager-less Hearts?

I agree Hibs-jags looks likes a better game but hopefully a goal fest at Celtic park will keep me entertained

I genuinely don't know enough about Hibs to be confident about where they might finish, but their squad seems good enough to challenge the top four on paper. We've had an excellent record against bottom six sides since promotion and a hideous record against those that finish above us, so this game could be a good indicator of where they might be this season.

Don't see why anyone would want us to break up our front four for this game, especially by taking Lawless out the 11. Osman has clearly been struggling for fitness in the League Cup and sitting this out will likely do both him and the team a favour. I think Spittal and Lawless are good enough at mucking in defensively to avoid us seeing the midfield get swamped, and there will be pressure on Hibs to have a go at us today so we may aswell concentrate our efforts on picking them off in numbers.

Strongly inclined towards a cagey 1-1.

Assuming all included protagonists are fit, and based on their pre-season game time we should be lining-up

Cerny

Elliott Devine Turnbull Booth

Bannigan Barton

Spittal Erskine Lawless

Doolan

Subs: Scully, Keown, Penrice, Nitransky, Osman, Edwards, McLaughlin

But I suspect Osman will start, Barton will be at the back, Turnbull will be on the bench and Nisbet will make the match day squad. Shouldn't make much if any difference if Keown slots-in for either Devine or Turnbull.

Given Erskine apparently didn't train part of this week it's possible, however, that either Edwards will start or Barton will play as sweeper in a 5-4-1.

Haven't been this buzzing for the start to a season for a long time.

Saturday 3pm kick off, at home, sellout crowd pitting Edinburgh & Glasgow's finest against each other.

What more could you wish for?

2-0 for the cabbage with tony stokes to get the loudest cheer of the day.

Archived