Work colleagues

They need to be toughened up to work in an office and photocopy documents. 
Not quite, just quite eye opening to see people in their mid 20s with loads of ability yet no confidence. A shame really.

There's a girl recently joined our team who will never speak up in meetings but will ask you loads of stuff off line. Terrified to use the phone, will actively avoid phoning suppliers etc.

The WFH and increasing reliance on Teams messages doesn't help either.

32 minutes ago, V.Aye.R said:

Not quite, just quite eye opening to see people in their mid 20s with loads of ability yet no confidence. A shame really.

Unfortunately a lot of people in their mid 20s these days have loads of confidence yet no ability.

41 minutes ago, V.Aye.R said:

There's a girl recently joined our team who will never speak up in meetings but will ask you loads of stuff off line. Terrified to use the phone, will actively avoid phoning suppliers etc.

Maybe she thinks that asking numerous questions in the meeting is going to annoy people. To be fair it is a pain in the arse if you are in a meeting and someone is going through questions like there is no tomorrow, "and another thing". At least she is asking afterwards, opposed to not saying anything at all. 

Some folk aren't confident on the phone, just one of those things. As for speaking with suppliers etc, not a bad thing to do this via Teams or Outlook, at least then there is a visible trail in case something does go wrong. 

9 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

Some folk aren't confident on the phone, just one of those things. As for speaking with suppliers etc, not a bad thing to do this via Teams or Outlook, at least then there is a visible trail in case something does go wrong. 

Bring back Milky Gem.

1 hour ago, V.Aye.R said:

I agree that there seems to be an increasing preference for sending a message where shouting out would be better. 

I like it. No need to speak to the b*****ds at work unless absolutely necessary. And i'm a reasonably old c**t. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

A little mentioned perk of working from home is the ability to just delete emails about collections.  No more rummaging about in the desk for coppers and bottle tops as the envelope approaches. 

What a tight arse! 

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

A little mentioned perk of working from home is the ability to just delete emails about collections.  No more rummaging about in the desk for coppers and bottle tops as the envelope approaches. 

The collection thing did serve a useful function in letting people know just how much they'd be missed. Years ago a much-despised middle manager in my place had a sheet put round about 60 people, which garnered him a sum total for his leaving present of 17p, 20 pesetas and an enormous dry crusty snotter.

I heard the scream from his boss when the last one fell out the envelope from the next open plan.

5 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

Maybe she thinks that asking numerous questions in the meeting is going to annoy people. To be fair it is a pain in the arse if you are in a meeting and someone is going through questions like there is no tomorrow, "and another thing". At least she is asking afterwards, opposed to not saying anything at all. 

" Just a quick one...bit of a silly one...I should know this, but... "

Fück off and look it up!

4 hours ago, coprolite said:

I found a completely blank look directly at the collector and no verbal response soon moved them on. Even easier now though to delete the begging emails on behalf of the fortunate.

"John Smith is leaving! After 10 minutes of service in which he went through the building like a fucking ghost, leaving no trace of his existence, John is leaving on promotion and expects  you to give him even more money".

6 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

I'm in my middle 30s and hate using the phone. Thankfully don't have it at work, it's horrible.

This annoys me with a young guy at work. He loves to be the centre of attention, will shout across the canteen to interrupt other people's conversations but he will not pick up the phone to phone anybody. "I don't like it". 

My work has co-General Managers who are also a couple who live together.

Last week I handed in my notice to one of them, in writing, signed and dated.

She asked why I was leaving so I told her she would have known if they'd bothered their arse with the monthly one-to-ones as detailed in my contract.

She of course has no idea they were in the contract but decides they're a good idea and will have a chat with me to see what they can do to convince me to stay. She also schedules meetings with the other fifteen or so staff.

Fast forward a week and I come in for the meeting. She's busy though so the other GM fills in.

"So, how are you finding everything."
"You know I handed in my notice a week ago, aye?"
"No. Who did you give it to?"
"Your other half."
"Well why the f**k hasn't she told me?"

2 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

My work has co-General Managers who are also a couple who live together.

Last week I handed in my notice to one of them, in writing, signed and dated.

She asked why I was leaving so I told her she would have known if they'd bothered their arse with the monthly one-to-ones as detailed in my contract.

She of course has no idea they were in the contract but decides they're a good idea and will have a chat with me to see what they can do to convince me to stay. She also schedules meetings with the other fifteen or so staff.

Fast forward a week and I come in for the meeting. She's busy though so the other GM fills in.

"So, how are you finding everything."
"You know I handed in my notice a week ago, aye?"
"No. Who did you give it to?"
"Your other half."
"Well why the f**k hasn't she told me?"

Do you work for the Chuckle Sisters?

One time when a leaving collection was being taken in my office the envelope was just passed round each desk, there wasn't actually anybody going round with it. (I realise this might not have worked in some places but Edinburgh folk are honest.) You would tick off your name and write next to it how much you'd put in.

Well, it was nobody else's business how much I put in so I just put in the money, ticked my name off and passed it on. When it had done the full round the organiser came to me and said, "You haven't put down how much you've put in."

"So?" I replied.

"So how do I know the money is correct?"

I asked him, "What would you do if it wasn't? Who would you chase up? Are you going to ask everybody if they really put in a quid because the total is 50p short?"

There wasn't anything he could say to that.