Work colleagues

On 16/03/2021 at 00:06, Donathan said:

Businesses are seeing roughly the same levels of productivity as they were in the office and they can save on extortionate corporate rents by continuing WFH on a hybrid basis (or even full time)

I'd be very surprised if employers demand their staff back in more than 50% of the time.

Only if they reduce the amount of office space they are renting, which would mean people wouldn't be going back to "their" office on the two days/week they work from the office, as instead of needing space for 100 folk they only need space for 40 with an office/WFH split.

4 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Only if they reduce the amount of office space they are renting, which would mean people wouldn't be going back to "their" office on the two days/week they work from the office, as instead of needing space for 100 folk they only need space for 40 with an office/WFH split.

Yep...and only if they can co-ordinate which days which people are WFH and that folk will no longer have their own space and will need to "hot desk" (I know, I know).  

1 minute ago, hk blues said:

Yep...and only if they can co-ordinate which days which people are WFH and that folk will no longer have their own space and will need to "hot desk" (I know, I know).  

Aye, it's not as simple as it looks, if businesses can't reduce the amount of office space they are renting, they might just say "f*** it, we're paying for this, everybody back in the office."

For example, when I worked in Belfast there were 9 of us spread across 4 rooms (+ reception. toilets and kitchen/canteen). If we only needed 2 rooms due to working from home there wouldn't be any savings from the unused rooms (bar heating maybe) as it was a self contained office.

Similar to when I worked in Coleraine, only 5 of us in 3 rooms if the three of us who were upstairs all worked from home and went into the office 1 day a week we could have been accommodated in the ground floor office(s) but there would have been no reduction in rent for the unused upper floor.

And if office space is being reduced, would rents rise to make up the shortfall for the renters?

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

My work was looking at moving to new premises in a nearby town. The move itself would have cost a fortune. Now they can stay put and have fewer complaints about parking. They're not spending less than they were but less than they would have. 

I reckon i've forgone about £100 of pens and post its over the last quarter as well. 

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Aye, it's not as simple as it looks, if businesses can't reduce the amount of office space they are renting, they might just say "f*** it, we're paying for this, everybody back in the office."

For example, when I worked in Belfast there were 9 of us spread across 4 rooms (+ reception. toilets and kitchen/canteen). If we only needed 2 rooms due to working from home there wouldn't be any savings from the unused rooms (bar heating maybe) as it was a self contained office.

Similar to when I worked in Coleraine, only 5 of us in 3 rooms if the three of us who were upstairs all worked from home and went into the office 1 day a week we could have been accommodated in the ground floor office(s) but there would have been no reduction in rent for the unused upper floor.

And if office space is being reduced, would rents rise to make up the shortfall for the renters?

Rents should fall in the short term because of reduced demand. 

12 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Rents should fall in the short term because of reduced demand. 

Aye, I thought that myself at first, but on second thoughts I'm not so sure. See your previous post to your last one.

Been a real eye opener the last couple of days where I've been scribing some meetings for work with senior managers around staffing needs for projects etc. My work is one of those "make a big song and dance about mental health" places, and I know that's bullshit but for example we have someone who's fulltime job is around mental health issues in the department and is pretty good at it. So I thought we're probably better than most. 

In a meeting earlier today one of these managers (who it was clear after about 5 minutes would be c**t to work with)  went on a bizarre rant about how staff who had been on long term illness for mental health issues were "just wanting a long holiday" and other such shite.

The guy who's conducting the series of meetings messaged me afterwords to say "they're not fun to work with lol" and when I said I really didn't appreciate what was said replied "we all have our opinions and like to vent".

I know expecting your employer to actually give a shit about these sorts of things is stupid but for someone to so brazenly say that shit in front of a junior member of staff was odd.

6 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Been a real eye opener the last couple of days where I've been scribing some meetings for work with senior managers around staffing needs for projects etc. My work is one of those "make a big song and dance about mental health" places, and I know that's bullshit but for example we have someone who's fulltime job is around mental health issues in the department and is pretty good at it. So I thought we're probably better than most. 

In a meeting earlier today one of these managers (who it was clear after about 5 minutes would be c**t to work with)  went on a bizarre rant about how staff who had been on long term illness for mental health issues were "just wanting a long holiday" and other such shite.

The guy who's conducting the series of meetings messaged me afterwords to say "they're not fun to work with lol" and when I said I really didn't appreciate what was said replied "we all have our opinions and like to vent".

I know expecting your employer to actually give a shit about these sorts of things is stupid but for someone to so brazenly say that shit in front of a junior member of staff was odd.

Is said boss a fan of Piers Morgan's rants per chance?  

15 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Aye, I thought that myself at first, but on second thoughts I'm not so sure. See your previous post to your last one.

I don't follow. 

10 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

We'd mental health on a meeting agenda. We were (stll are) massively understaffed for the work we have on hand and there had been a spate of stress and anxiety related long term absences.

One of my more unreconstructed colleagues seemed to think that the point of the discussion was to slag off the younger generation for lacking resilience and, because he knew someone that worked on a submarine and who didn't have anxiety, they should all be sent to work on a submarine for six months. 

10 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I don't follow. 

We'd mental health on a meeting agenda. We were (stll are) massively understaffed for the work we have on hand and there had been a spate of stress and anxiety related long term absences.

One of my more unreconstructed colleagues seemed to think that the point of the discussion was to slag off the younger generation for lacking resilience and, because he knew someone that worked on a submarine and who didn't have anxiety, they should all be sent to work on a submarine for six months. 

Yes, I wondered for a while if there was something about the last year which might effect those on about 30% of a senior manager's salary, more likely to be living in shared/cramped accommodation and socially active more than others within the business from a mental health pov. But the submarine thing too obvz. They work in the Manchester office so unlikely I'll have to work with them, but the whole thing has solidified my "get out of here as soon as it's been long enough to look good on the CV" position

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I don't follow. 

You said your work was thinking of moving elsewhere, and now they would stay put, so "saving" money. It does cost a lot to move office premises, and some places might find it's cheaper to stay where they are, spending money on rent for space they don't need, rather than relocate.

The examples I gave from my own experience are probably irrelevant, as I'm sure the size of office being discussed has a lot more than 9/5 people in it.

8 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I don't follow. 

I'm not sure the internet reception would be up to scratch.

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I don't follow. 

Harsh, at least let them in the thing or they'll drown

2 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I've started working in HR and that's the type of sick leave I'm processing far and away the most. Substantial sick leave as a result of work-related stress followed by depression, anxiety and low mood. 

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

I've started working in HR and that's the type of sick leave I'm processing far and away the most. Substantial sick leave as a result of work-related stress followed by depression, anxiety and low mood. 

Occ health called me on 7th January, they decided I wasn’t allowed back (I’d been in two days). 
Here we are in March and reports and box ticking means I’m still off. Report sent GP was largely irrelevant to mental health. Yet being at work would’ve been wholly beneficial.

All the chat mental health in work place is just that, talk.

I could probably guess which managers I've worked under had appalling views on mental health, but the worst opinions actually aired in the workplace have tended to come from the co-workers of people who were taking time off.

It must be lovely to be at home knowing that bitch Karen will be in everyone's ear about how people shouldn't take a job on if they're not prepared to work.

21 hours ago, Fullerene said:

I think presenteeism will take a real knock from all this.

Their argument was always that you need a real office to do real work.   Anything else is just skiving.

If they try that now, after months of enforced WFH and you can throw it straight back at them.

You can ask "Did you manage to catch up on the gardening?"  Don't expect an honest reply.

I reckon so. There's a wee subset who don't really have much to offer apart from sheer persistent presence in the office and don't understand that working hard or working long hours does not always equate with working well. They're also the ones who are most likely to drag themselves in coughing their guts up or ankle deep in snotters because they feel the place will fall apart without them...a practice which will almost certainly be frowned upon post-COVID.

Those types definitely aren't happy at the moment though...there's no point striving for constant visibility and ostentatiously putting in eleven hour days if there's hardly any c**t around in the office to see you do it.

It's almost as if a 5 day working week and an 8 hour working day is utter nonsense that is unhealthy and becoming increasingly unsustainable when more and more younger folk will point out as much after they experience it.