Work colleagues

58 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

We have this work chat thing where it's meant for folk basically letting off steam or chatting about non work related stuff, generally just filled with people asking what's for dinner or moaning about their jobs, there's this one girl who's been off with anxiety for about 6 months who is chatting away on it all day, recently someone was moaning about being back to back workloads and she posted a massive spiel about how reading this stuff heightens her anxiety and if people don't stop moaning she won't be able to return to work. This chat is on a work laptop that she's choosing to look at to wind herself up. It's almost impressive. 

You have to watch those things. At an old job, we had a WhatsApp to discuss shit that was happening ("watch out folks, mini-Hitler's been in this morning") and let off a bit of steam. It fell apart when the twisted wee arsehole who owned the place started routinely going above the manager's head to dress us down in private, and loved to slip in a few recent lines from our WhatsApp, just to let us know one of us was feeding it all back to him.

8 minutes ago, BTFD said:

You have to watch those things. At an old job, we had a WhatsApp to discuss shit that was happening ("watch out folks, mini-Hitler's been in this morning") and let off a bit of steam. It fell apart when the twisted wee arsehole who owned the place started routinely going above the manager's head to dress us down in private, and loved to slip in a few recent lines from our WhatsApp, just to let us know one of us was feeding it all back to him.

Aye there is definitely a grass in our workshop WhatsApp group but everyone knows who it is.

14 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Aye there is definitely a grass in our workshop WhatsApp group but everyone knows who it is.

We didn't, which made it all the more disturbing. Everyone seemed pretty sound, but someone was clearly copying him in on literally everything that was said.

Someone got in touch with me as I am apparently leading three themes of our Athena Swan - two related to student recruitment and one to do with maternity.

I got back to them saying I knew about the student recruitment ones, but maternity? Me? I think they got the wrong person.

Nope, I'm told, the spreadsheet says it is you. So now I am to set up a maternity working group. Me. A middle aged man leading our maternity activity for our Athena Swan, which promotes gender equality in higher education. Something is wrong with this picture!

4 hours ago, RuMoore said:

We have this work chat thing where it's meant for folk basically letting off steam or chatting about non work related stuff, generally just filled with people asking what's for dinner or moaning about their jobs, there's this one girl who's been off with anxiety for about 6 months who is chatting away on it all day, recently someone was moaning about being back to back workloads and she posted a massive spiel about how reading this stuff heightens her anxiety and if people don't stop moaning she won't be able to return to work. This chat is on a work laptop that she's choosing to look at to wind herself up. It's almost impressive. 

Back in 2017 I was off sick for eight months with depression and suicidal ideation and the very last thing I wanted to do was go on a work-related chat and read about work-related activities. I left all work group chats because they were nothing to do with me at that time (I did not even know if I would ever be back), and deleted my social media.

33 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Someone got in touch with me as I am apparently leading three themes of our Athena Swan - two related to student recruitment and one to do with maternity.

I got back to them saying I knew about the student recruitment ones, but maternity? Me? I think they got the wrong person.

Nope, I'm told, the spreadsheet says it is you. So now I am to set up a maternity working group. Me. A middle aged man leading our maternity activity for our Athena Swan, which promotes gender equality in higher education. Something is wrong with this picture!

No, something is very right! This is obviously an excellent example of gender equality by your workplace, and is only enhanced by the fact they will have to allow you loads of time to properly research the matter and upscale your knowledge to assist in leveraging the paradigm into the future in a holistic manner.

6 hours ago, BTFD said:

6 hours ago, Empty It said:

Aye we've had similar drama, I don't really need to be careful as I have absolutely zero desire to spend any time speaking to these people. I actually left the group and got added back in by a manger. 

I don't mind working with others or in an office environment but the idea I have to be friends with the people and care about their fucking cats birthday is a limit. 

3 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Back in 2017 I was off sick for eight months with depression and suicidal ideation and the very last thing I wanted to do was go on a work-related chat and read about work-related activities. I left all work group chats because they were nothing to do with me at that time (I did not even know if I would ever be back), and deleted my social media.

Hope you're doing better nowadays but I fully agree! I don't mean to minimise anyone's struggles and its of course complex but it just baffles me how often people willingly subject themselves to things that make them miserable. Lots of people used the chat to vent and let off steam and it's absurd they should have to bottle it up or act all fake nicey nice over 1 person who shouldn't even be reading this stuff anyway. 

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I’ll disagree with you here. The maternity working group doesn’t necessarily have to be all women. The People with Disabilities working group doesn’t necessarily have to be lead by someone with a disability. Nor the Gay Rights Group, or the BAME group (if your place still uses that term) etc.

Also, why is it maternity? Why are the fathers excluded? It should be a Parental Leave working group.

9 hours ago, RuMoore said:

She sounds like an attention seeker and is just using the situation as an excuse to go on about her anxiety.

2 hours ago, mathematics said:

I’ll disagree with you here. The maternity working group doesn’t necessarily have to be all women. The People with Disabilities working group doesn’t necessarily have to be lead by someone with a disability. Nor the Gay Rights Group, or the BAME group (if your place still uses that term) etc.

Also, why is it maternity? Why are the fathers excluded? It should be a Parental Leave working group.

It is maternity, and I really feel under qualified on this one. 

17 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Facilitate maternity by putting it about unsheathed.