Work colleagues

1 minute ago, RH33 said:

None of our meetings have cameras on. Weekly team meeting we log in and have one ear on the catch up and work away. Team lead happy enough with that. 

I usually keep my camera on. Stare into it, giving my shy colleagues the evil eye. 

On 15/11/2023 at 09:41, KnightswoodBear said:

At the height of lockdown, I had to go on a teams meeting with a new project manager for a contract I was working on.  Meeting was at 8 or 9 am.  I did my usual and sat at the computer in my bombsite of an office in the house, jammies still on, not shaved for days and hair that hadn't been cut for about 3 months all over the place.

Meeting starts and she's there, camera on, in her immaculate kitchen, looking like shes been up since about 3 doing her hair and makeup.  She then proceeds to passive aggressively get everyone to put their cameras on so she can "put names to faces". Folk start putitng theirs on and there are more than a few that look even worse than i do.

She was very politely told to get fucked, which meant that for the rest of the time she was on the project she had it in for me.

She wasn't on it very long mind you as she was absolutely hopeless. 

Should that not be faces to names?

I was once dragged over to London - well, I flew, actually - for a completely pointless meeting. I think the client was just flexing his muscles, and wanted to exercise a bit of power. Although I suppose it does help to meet folk in person rather than just conversing via e-mail and phone calls.

On 15/11/2023 at 09:52, scottsdad said:

I remember teaching online during lockdown. Every student had cameras and microphones off. It was like being a DJ, talking into the ether.

"Chief Inspector - reactivate Operation Yew Tree."

On 15/11/2023 at 10:26, Swarley said:

Yep get that "would be great if everyone could put their cameras on" pish a lot. So everyone turns on their cameras, the quality of the call turns to shit and everyone turns them off again. 

On 15/11/2023 at 10:28, hk blues said:

I'm not getting the problem with cameras being on.  Isn't everybody looking at other stuff i.e. P&B, during meetings so not looking at the screen anyway? 

Cameras are mostly off, but for the odd one that is on, I have the camera positioned so I can still scroll and read stuff on 2nd screen while the meeting is on, and if that isn't distracting enough cameras on tends to see me paying too much attention to folks backgrounds and surrounds as I judge them by books on their shelfs, or ornaments or photos, or wallpaper, hairdo, bad glasses, anything really rather than pay attention to the call.

Best is cameras off, no faffing about its just a call and back to work.

I don't mind having my camera on in a meeting where I'm a main contributor.  I find it's better for preventing interruptions as people can see the visual cues - Teams meetings do suffer disadvantages in that regard. But not everyone in the meeting is an active participant and many of them probably have things that they really need to get done. Cameras being mandated on whilst someone is clearly focused on doing something else does nothing to enhance the meeting. 

And yes, it does also provide the opportunity for a little disengagement too. There are too many meetings, some of which could've been emails. 

Edited by Michael W

maybe slightly off topic here but anyway,

Since leaving school, for the last 18 years I've worked almost exclusively with other blokes, whether it's been in an office or on a site,  for the last 3 months for the first time ever really I've been working in a space that's more or less 50/50. 

by f**k, women do not like other women.  I thought that was just a misogynistic stereotype as well

6 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

maybe slightly off topic here but anyway,

Since leaving school, for the last 18 years I've worked almost exclusively with other blokes, whether it's been in an office or on a site,  for the last 3 months for the first time ever really I've been working in a space that's more or less 50/50. 

by f**k, women do not like other women.  I thought that was just a misogynistic stereotype as well

I heard a saying a while back that stuck in my head. Men are horrible to each other but don't really mean it. Women are nice to each other but don't really mean it.

18 hours ago, microdave said:

I heard a saying a while back that stuck in my head. Men are horrible to each other but don't really mean it. Women are nice to each other but don't really mean it.

I've always found women change their best mate more than they change their underwear.  There's lads I know who were kicking about with each other in school are still best mates 20 years later.  Indeed my group of mates hasn't really changed in that time period either.  What you say is definitely a thing.

1 minute ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Some absolute cock has emailed me this morning asking for an update on something saying he’s asked for an update multiple times and heard nothing from me. 

Checked the email thread and this mornings email was the first time he’s copied me in. 

Dickhead 

Had a similar thing. For one module I arranged for an exam to be invigilated and in-person, but the tutor on the course was telling the students all semester long that it was online. 

Shit hit the fan when the exam timetable was released, loads of complaints. This guy got back to me saying that I had told him by email it was online. I replied, attaching a copy of my original email where the fact it was invigilated and in person was underlined. 

He's been apologising to the students but they're still up in arms. 

4 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Some absolute cock has emailed me this morning asking for an update on something saying he’s asked for an update multiple times and heard nothing from me. 

Checked the email thread and this mornings email was the first time he’s copied me in. 

Dickhead 

Screenshot your reply to him and show it on here IMO.  Redacted of course.

6 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Dickhead 

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

Note- anything short of this will be disappointing.

Dear Dickhead,  

I have checked the progress on x,  its currently 50% done and will remain there for the foreseeable as I will be doing absolutely anything else before touching it,  or any other jobs you require again.

CBC

3 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Note- anything short of this will be disappointing.

Dear Dickhead,  

I have checked the progress on x,  its currently 50% done and will remain there for the foreseeable as I will be doing absolutely anything else before touching it,  or any other jobs you require again.

CBC

I added in a lovely line of “As I haven’t been copied into this email thread I have had no visibility of your request.” 

He’s a client and I need to be nice(ish) to them otherwise we lose business. But hopefully his boss, who’s also copied, realises he’s an idiot who’s been addressing emails to someone who isn’t receiving them 

13 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I’m too much of a shitebag for that :lol:

4 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I added in a lovely line of “As I haven’t been copied into this email thread I have had no visibility of your request.” 

He’s a client and I need to be nice(ish) to them otherwise we lose business. But hopefully his boss, who’s also copied, realises he’s an idiot who’s been addressing emails to someone who isn’t receiving them 

^^^ task not even started imo

2 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Make the guy feel like a right dick in front of his boss along the lines of - 

"In future can you please make sure the correct people have visibility of your requests so that they can be dealt with at in a timely manner".  Basically tell him, without telling him, that he's a fucking idiot and so that his boss knows too.

I've done something like that before a couple of times.  It's not grassing, it's showing management that some of their staff are stupid.

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Make the guy feel like a right dick in front of his boss along the lines of - 

"In future can you please make sure the correct people have visibility of your requests so that they can be dealt with at in a timely manner".  Basically tell him, without telling him, that he's a fucking idiot and so that his boss knows too.

I've done something like that before a couple of times.  It's not grassing, it's showing management that some of their staff are stupid.

Spot on IMO.