Footballing firsts and milestones

A wee nostalgia trip to pass the boredom of close season

First match attended. Stirling Albion v Brechin City, 1983, the albion lost, cant remember the score. I ruined my new school shoes scuffing them on the red ash at the front of the terracing

First Cup Final. Celtic 2 Dundee Utd 1 1985, the Provan/McGarvey final

First match in England. Liverpool 3 Luton Town 2 october 1985. Jan Molby scored a free kick winner

First match abroad. Ajax 1 Celtic 3. Champions League qualifier 2001

First footballing hero. The King Kenny Dalglish 

Biggest crowd. Either 85, 88 or 89 cup finals when Hampden held over 70,000 or Man Utd v Celtic in 2006 (3-2 to man utd) Old Trafford capacity is about that as well.

First International game. Scotland 0 Italy 0 at Ibrox in 1992

Favourite ground. Celtic Park clearly, major nostalgia and love also for the now long gone Annfield Park in Stirling. Away grounds I love the atmosphere of both Tynecastle and Easter Road.

Worst ground. Central Park, Cowdenbeath. Like watching football in prison

Favourite game. So many to choose from but my top five

1. Last seasons treble sealing 2-1 cup final win v Aberdeen

2. Celtic 2 Barcelona 1 in 2012

3. Dundee Utd 0 Celtic 1, helicopter thursday in 2008

4. The R*ngers 1 Celtic 5 at Ibrox in April this year

5. Stirling Albion 6 Inverness Caley 2 in a snowstorm at Brockville in the 1990 Scottish Cup, I was on the telly too 8)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First match attended: Accies 1-0 Airdrie in, I think, 2005.
First cup final: Espanyol 2-2 Sevilla in the 2007 UEFA Cup Final, Glasgow.
First match in England: Everton 1-0 Chelsea, 2011.
First match abroad: Italy 2-0 Scotland, 2007.
First footballing hero: James McFadden
Biggest crowd: England-Scotland last November.
First international game: Scotland 6-0 Faroe Islands
Favourite ground: Cappielow. We have a great record there, it's an old-style ground with a good atmosphere and you're right on top of the pitch.
Worst ground: Stark's Park
Favourite game: Either beating Hibs 2-0 in the play-offs or the 3-1 win against Dundee United in our first game in the SPL.

First match attended: old firm game when i was around 4, my mum went crazy at my dad and i was never allowed to go again, (thats how i became a killie fan)
First cup final: celtic 3 v 0 killie 2000
First match in England: Gateshead v somebody im the national league, but the mighty heed won and have been going ever since
First match abroad: Beijing 4v1 somebody most corrupt game i have ever witnessed
First footballing hero: split between ally mccoist and gary holt
Biggest crowd: that game in Beijing around 50,000
Favourite ground: i like rugby park but has an atmosphere like a libary, i have been to Wembley that was incredible
Worst ground: i like all grounds not matter how shitty, although Douglas park is pretty depressing
Favourite game: Gateshead 3v1 Grimsby playoff semi final, most incredible atmosphere and first pitch invasion i have ever been involved with and theres a great picture of a Sunderland fan and a Newcastle fan hugging eachother

First match attended: Montrose v East Fife in the mid 90s aged about 4. Apparently spent the whole time kicking an Irn-Bru can around. 

First Cup Final: 2014 ParkRed. 

First match in England: Norwich in a pre-season friendly with Real Mallorca. Nae idea of the score. 

First match abroad: Pre-megabucks PSG v Dynamo Kiev, 0-0 in the UEFA Cup. Some atmosphere like. 

First footballing hero: Eoin Jess. 

Biggest crowd: Probably one of the Scotland games at Parkhead v ROI or England

Favourite ground: Love visiting Tannadice. 

Worst ground: Hate going to NDP, we always have a tough game there too. 

Favourite game: Ooofft a lot to choose from: Copenhagen, Celtic away in the Scottish Cup 13/14, 7-0 at Dens this year all spring to mind immediately, but there are hunners.  

16 minutes ago, bennett said:

Imagine typing all of that out , just to have a sevco jibe Mags.

Lol.

What are your footy firsts and milestones vicky?

Oh silly me, you dont go to games do you :D

Just now, Flybhoy said:

What are your footy firsts and milestones vicky?

Oh silly me, you dont go to games do you :D

Not a greatest fan in the world like yourself Dave but about a dozen or so sevco games and the odd killie game.

34 minutes ago, bennett said:

Not a greatest fan in the world like yourself Dave but about a dozen or so sevco games and the odd killie game.

Is that per season or in your lifetime?

Can't remember my first game but this was my first cup final after watching the Hibs for a few years. Never got to the 72 final that they won as my old boy was working that day but I did make it along to Corstorphine at night to see them parade the trophy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_Scottish_League_Cup_Final

First match:  Queens 2-2 Dundee.  November 1976.

First Cup Final:  Hibs 2-0 Dunfermline League Cup 1991.

First match in England:  Carlisle 2-1 Chelsea. Division 2  1982.

I've never been to a match abroad.

First hero:  Kevin Keegan.

Biggest crowd:  non-descript League win at home for Man Utd against Burnley two years ago.  The crowd was something ridiculous like 73000.

First International game:  Scotland 0-0 England.  May 1987.

Favourite ground:  I like Tynecastle and have a biased fondness or Palmerston.

Worst ground:  Not keen on Hamilton, or Annan if there's a decent crowd in.

Favourite game:  Queens 4-3 Aberdeen.  Scottish Cup semi final 2008.

First match: Scotland v Lithuania 1999. Having looked it up it appears we won 3-0 but I can't remember anything about the game. First Thistle match that I remember being at was against Celtic in about 2002 or 2003. Can't remember the score but I think Larsson scored.

First Cup final: the challenge cup final in 2013 is the only one I've been to, no need to go into too much detail.

First match in England was Newcastle 2-Man United 2. Paul Scholes scored twice, can't remember who scored for Newcastle.

Not made it to a game abroad yet, need to get that changed.

First footballing hero: James McFadden.

Biggest crowd: Old Trafford for Man United v West Ham in 2007 or so... tevez scored to keep West Ham up and United were crowned champions.

Favourite ground: big fan of Easter Road, also like Cappielow and Somerset.

Worst Ground: Celtic Park. Without doubt.

Favourite game: 1-0 v Morton or 4-2 v Hearts. Non-Thistle was probably Huddersfield v Brighton where they lost 4-0 and I got to watch my mate descend into an absolutely seething shambles.

First game - Kilmarnock 3-0 Stirling Albion in about April 93. Can't remember a thing about the game other than the feeling of being in a crowd (of sorts)

First Cup final - 1997 Scottish Cup final. Not a bad place to start, although might have been 3 years earlier were it not for Les Mottram and Mark Hateley...

First match in England - Newcastle 3-0 Peterborough United. Came home raving about a young forward called Andy Carroll...

First footballing hero - odd choice here, but it was undeniably Pierre Van Hooijdonk. So much so that I used to draw pictures of him. My Dad took me down early to RP when Celtic came down on a midweek so we could see the away bus come in. I'll never forget the big man's bewildered expression as he waved over at an exuberant wee me dressed in the entire Kilmarnock tracking...

First international - Scotland 1-0 Lithuania. Darren Fletcher scores to take Scotland into their most recent playoff. Berti still an eventual target for the xenophobes.

Top 5 games...

1. Kilmarnock 1-0 Celtic - 2012 Scottish league cup final.

2. Rangers 0-1 Kilmarnock  2012 - Administration valentines day. Utterly hilarious. 

3. Kilmarnock 4-2 Ayr United. Killie win the last ever Ayrshire cup final with a four goal second half comeback. 

4. Hearts 0-4 Kilmarnock, Boxing Day 2013 - An unbelievable away performance in the best season of Kris Boyd's career. Hearts crowd never gave up when their relegation was already inevitable. 

5. Kilmarnock 2-1 KR Reykjavik. Last minute penalty, followed by an absolute worldy from David Bagan in front of a packed RP.

First game i remember seeing Junior football was St Roch's v Dunipace away about 1966. Dunipace has since moved grounds about three times. Remember more about the Midland Bluebird bus than the game.

Senior game earliest memory, 1966 Scottish Cup replay Rangers won 1-0 Kai Johanson scored, crowd 96,000

Earliest European away game 1966 Nantes 

First away game in England  Newcastle in a friendly 1968 or Leeds European Cup semi final 1970

First International game, Wembley 1967 we won 3-2.

First 100,000 away crowd, any one of a dozen at Hampden, Leeds Rangers Hibs Aberdeen England blah blah blah Madrid away

Worst ground, none, i watch Junior football.

Favourite away ground, most away grounds from pre segregation terracing days, Beach End at Aberdeen, Ibrox, etc, Think Ayr Utd is the only one left.

First Sunday game v Stirling Albion early 1970s, 28,000 turned up.

First all seated stadium of a kind, Clydebank, it was dross.

55 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Favourite away ground, most away grounds from pre segregation terracing days, Beach End at Aberdeen, Ibrox, etc, Think Ayr Utd is the only one left.

Eh?  Plenty grounds still have terracing for away fans.  Ayr is one of them, but obviously they impose segregation.

As regards the new categories, my first Sunday game was Newcastle 0-1 Sunderland in early 1990.  My first all seated ground would also have been Kilbowie for a match against Kilmarnock in 1992.

12 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Celtic brought a section back and then your down to the diddies or skint.

Ayr surely fit the 'diddy' description at least as well as Queens do.

We've got terracing that is opened for larger visiting supports.

Archived