The Albion Rovers Thread

The Pastmaster

I saw a couple of comments on Twitter this morning about one of the Rovers shareholders selling his holding to someone called Paul Reilly, and the sentiment was entirely negative for the club’s future.

Anyone on here in the know what it could mean? Hope it’s not as gloomy as it sounds.

22 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

I saw a couple of comments on Twitter this morning about one of the Rovers shareholders selling his holding to someone called Paul Reilly, and the sentiment was entirely negative for the club’s future.

Anyone on here in the know what it could mean? Hope it’s not as gloomy as it sounds.

He’s the bloke who wants them to be renamed and chase after an Irish identity.  Name he put forward was shamrock rovers Coatbridge

3 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

He’s the bloke who wants them to be renamed and chase after an Irish identity.  Name he put forward was shamrock rovers Coatbridge

Oh god, that guy from last summer, I thought that was just complete pie in the sky, but now he’s got a foot in the door. 😬

Good luck Rovers fans in any action you need to take, I’m sure you will have the support of fans of many clubs. 💪

1 hour ago, Cowdenleith said:

p2-7:

OPEN MEETING: DATE, TIME, VENUE CONFIRMED | Albion Rovers F.C. (Unofficial) (proboards.com)

2 hours ago, Cowdenleith said:

Oh god, that guy from last summer, I thought that was just complete pie in the sky, but now he’s got a foot in the door. 😬

Good luck Rovers fans in any action you need to take, I’m sure you will have the support of fans of many clubs. 💪

Larkhall Thistle, Kilwinning Rangers, Shotts Bon Accord etc

4 hours ago, Cowdenleith said:

Surely not Winston from Still Game

49 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The Coatbridge Shamrock Rovers guy apparently. At least some people in the discussion linked above understand that's likely to be a one way ticket to being the next Baillieston.

Who just happens to have the same name as a sponsor either now or in the past.

Sure the advert said, Pat Reilly Demolition.

Quite apt i thought.

3 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:

It's a different Reilly,

I understand he's vaguely related to the Reilly's of Pat Reilly and their company Reigart Demolition who are a very long standing sponsor. You can pick your friends but not your relatives!

He is also not our former secretary who shares the same name.

He says the name change is off the table but if he gets control he could easily do whatever the hell he likes.

• 2 weeks later...

A new director was appointed a week ago, Hugh Morrison and another new director was appointed today Margaret Rizza.

The club issued the following statement about the Lowland League vote on admitting B teams for the next couple of years: 

Albion Rovers are deeply disappointed with the outcome of tonight’s Park’s Motor Group Lowland League guest club vote, which was cast 8-7 in favour of the continuation of B teams for the next two seasons, with the option of a third.

We voted no, and encouraged others to join us in putting supporters and common sense first.

This was a chance for the Lowland League to regain its sporting integrity within the pyramid, ensuring that the fifth tier next year and beyond would be made up of clubs who have earned their places on merit, and are all competing on a similar field and for the same purpose – to win promotion to the SPFL.

Instead, we, and our fellow member clubs, are now once again at odds with the majority of our supporters, who have no or little interest in watching their club play competitive fixtures against B teams.

We voted for the fans, not against them.

We voted for sporting integrity before (minimal) financial gain.

We voted to not compromise the Lowland League’s reputation, again.

We voted to boost the Lowland League’s perceived image and standing.

We voted to put smaller clubs first over the biggest in the country.

If the question of promotion to the SPFL from tier 5 comes up again, how can the Lowland League be taken seriously when it complains about the lack of a sufficient and fair trapdoor when we haven’t put sporting integrity first ourselves?

We respect the decision and outcome of tonight’s vote and can only apologise to our supporters, and the supporters of other clubs, who haven’t been put first.

Notes: One club did not attend the meeting and did not cast a vote. The general meeting still went ahead. All other non-colt member clubs then voted with the outcome 8-7.

The club assisted by the Supporters Trust will be running a bar for the games v Cowdenbeath and East Kilbride on the 23rd and 30th of December respectively.

There will be one turnstile open from 12.30 (3pm k-o) to allow those wishing to partake in a pre match beverage.

Entry to the lounge will be via the door in the main stand adjacent to the pitch. The bar will be open from 12.30 until 14.45.

Prices will be as follows:

Selection of canned beers and lagers £2.50
Wines by 125ml glass £2.50
Selection of 25ml spirits £2.50

The bar will open to those aged 18 and over to both home and away fans alike. In line with current legislation, no alcohol will be permitted to be consumed in view of the pitch.

• 2 weeks later...