Aspirations

I'm 50 soon so I'm appreciating hearing the alarm every morning, it's means I'm alive to live another day. Mortgage free, no debt and a few quid tucked away, for the next 10 years am gonna have an even bigger ball than I've had for the last 10. The kids can split the house between them, the rest is all ours, can't take it with you like 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Renting for me is short-term for the fact that the money you're paying in rent is completely gone. At least with a mortgage a percentage of that money is reclaimable.
Being able to do stuff like paint a room is nice as is not having to work to pay rent when your 70.

I don't have $200,000 for the deposit for a 1 bedroom flat so I rent.

47 minutes ago, sjc said:

Mortgages in Scotland will be fully paid off by this point. 

How the f**k are you going to pay off mortgages by being an unqualified English teacher, organ donor and occasional Santa impersonator in Japan?

Renting isn't pish at all. Absolutely no idea where the obsession with owning a house comes from in this country. I'm generally happy enough with just having a place to go back to, providing it's clean and isn't a total dump.

I refuse to get dragged into this "keeping up the jones'" mentality, which I think if people were being honest with themselves they're caught in. I do believe that a lot of people buy houses and have kids because they think that's what they're supposed to do, rather than what they want to do. Why the f**k are people buying houses when their 24 ffs? Why are people having kids even younger? I think it's absolutely mental.

As for my ambitions, a job that I actually care about and that is actually worthwhile would be great. Struggling to find that though.

There are two flats in my development up for rent at the moment. Both identical to mine. One is wanting £775 pcm, the other £800. My mortgage payment is £527 a month.

Why would I rent and be £250ish worse off a month?

In no particular order: PhD, relatively sound finances, become better at Football Manager, period living and working outside the UK, marriage. 

I'm happy enough just to see where life takes me, tbh. 

10 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

There are two flats in my development up for rent at the moment. Both identical to mine. One is wanting £775 pcm, the other £800. My mortgage payment is £527 a month.

Never understood the renters of this world

My short-term aspiration is to have a bit more fun over the next couple of years. I'm a few months away from submitting my PhD, which has been the culmination of about five years' work. Moving back to the Czech Republic next week, where I hope to get it finished and submitted, and then to just get a job that gives me enough money to hire a tutor to get my language up to fluency and the time to pursue my hobbies (football, music). In the longer term, I'd like to lecture and research for a university or institute.  

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

How the f**k are you going to pay off mortgages by being an unqualified English teacher, organ donor and occasional Santa impersonator in Japan?

They're rented out. I also bought them with a fairly hefty deposit. 

In a word, some decent health.

My life is pretty much right where I want it at the age of 36 (happy marriage, two young weans, decent career) but the old crohn's disease has me over a barrel.

I've been bed ridden for a week (after barely scraping myself through the last 6 months in work), and can't even tolerate the shitey milkshake supplements (the most boring liquid diet in history).

New treatment starting on Monday though so high hopes.

It's not exactly as simplistic as that.

43 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

My life is pretty much right where I want it at the age of 36 (happy marriage, two young weans, decent career) but the old crohn's disease has me over a barrel.

I've been bed ridden for a week (after barely scraping myself through the last 6 months in work), and can't even tolerate the shitey milkshake supplements (the most boring liquid diet in history).

Get well soon buddy.

23 minutes ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

It's not exactly as simplistic as that.

Very true. Easy to forget how lucky our generation (mid30s-mid40s) were with the willingness of the banks to lend us money for mortgages. 

As far as renting v mortgage goes I'd rather have the option to sell my house, downsize and use the profit for early retirement.

5 years time - Hopefully I'll be around about where I am just now. Wee boy will be nearing the end of high school so I'll be trying to point him in the right direction.

10 years time - Nearly 50. Mortgage hopefully paid off so me and my wife can think about part-time hours.

20 years time - Flitting between my villa in Florida and my quaint wee cottage in Scotland. Super cars at either end.

6 hours ago, Jamaldo said:

Renting isn't pish at all. Absolutely no idea where the obsession with owning a house comes from in this country. I'm generally happy enough with just having a place to go back to, providing it's clean and isn't a total dump.

I refuse to get dragged into this "keeping up the jones'" mentality, which I think if people were being honest with themselves they're caught in. I do believe that a lot of people buy houses and have kids because they think that's what they're supposed to do, rather than what they want to do. Why the f**k are people buying houses when their 24 ffs? Why are people having kids even younger? I think it's absolutely mental.

As for my ambitions, a job that I actually care about and that is actually worthwhile would be great. Struggling to find that though.

Why would you rather pay off someone else's mortgage than your own? All the money you spend on rent is just dead money, even if you get a shit deal from a bank and are paying mostly interest its still money paying back a loan and you will own the house after the agreement. I pay about 2/5 s on my flat for what i would pay if i was renting it and don't have to deal with letting agents or land lords etc and everything in my flat is mine rather than just keeping it warm for someone else who would kick me out at the first sign of trouble.

You just renting the crohns or did you buy it?
In all seriousness, hope the new treatment helps get it telt and you're back on your feet soon. Posts like yours help me realise there's more things to worry about than owning a house or not.

Very true. Easy to forget how lucky our generation (mid30s-mid40s) were with the willingness of the banks to lend us money for mortgages. 

I had a chat with my banks mortgage advisor who basically laughed of my savings and the amount I was looking at as being unrealistic.
Pretty much told me I was going to struggle with my annual income and being the only person who'd be applying for the mortgage. Bit annoying tbh.

My short-term aspiration is to have a bit more fun over the next couple of years. I'm a few months away from submitting my PhD, which has been the culmination of about five years' work. Moving back to the Czech Republic next week, where I hope to get it finished and submitted, and then to just get a job that gives me enough money to hire a tutor to get my language up to fluency and the time to pursue my hobbies (football, music). In the longer term, I'd like to lecture and research for a university or institute.  

Out of interest, what links your PhD to the Czech Republic?

46 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I had a chat with my banks mortgage advisor who basically laughed of my savings and the amount I was looking at as being unrealistic.
Pretty much told me I was going to struggle with my annual income and being the only person who'd be applying for the mortgage. Bit annoying tbh.

They've gone from one extreme to the other where they recklessly (and some reckless people accepted) offered 120% mortgages to knocking back young people looking to get on the 1st rung of the ladder. 

Combine that with the amount of debt some Uni graduates have from tuition fees....it's not right.

Archived