Acid attacks

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The number of attacks have hugely increased in a short period, therefore the point is they have become more prevalent in our society, not that no one ever threw acid before.

I believe knife crime also had a surge and we (well, the lawmakers) made it more difficult to buy knives. I’ve no idea but maybe as knives are harder to get, acid was easier so became easier/more convenient method of attack? I’m completely speculating and not claiming this to be the case, just a thought.

2 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

I believe knife crime also had a surge and we (well, the lawmakers) made it more difficult to buy knives. I’ve no idea but maybe as knives are harder to get, acid was easier so became easier/more convenient method of attack? I’m completely speculating and not claiming this to be the case, just a thought.

My pet theory is that it's easier to use acid. Think about the mechanics of it. If you're a coward who wants to sneak attack someone, do you boldly approach them with a knife and try to stab or slash them, having to be connected to them at that point, or do you throw a liquid in their face from feet away and run like hell from it?

My pet theory is that it's easier to use acid. Think about the mechanics of it. If you're a coward who wants to sneak attack someone, do you boldly approach them with a knife and try to stab or slash them, having to be connected to them at that point, or do you throw a liquid in their face from feet away and run like hell from it?

Probably another factor in the increase. Generally easier.

That's why I don't buy the "narcissism / ruined youth / it weren't like this in my day" angle that your man's peddling there. I truly believe it's on the rise because it's easier for cowards to use it. It's a matter of distance and convenience.

2 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Until recently the punishment for being caught with a knife was much more severe than being caught with acid. I don't think knives are much harder to get hold of than before though.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Until recently the punishment for being caught with a knife was much more severe than being caught with acid. I don't think knives are much harder to get hold of than before though.

I've got loads of them in my kitchen.

I also have acid in my tool kit.

Think I mentioned previously on this thread but I recall reading that one of the reasons for the increase was that gang members and general arseholes were able to walk about with it without having to fear arrest. If they are caught with a knife then they are in trouble.

I miss the days when the only thing you had to fear in a scheme was someone lobbing half a brick from a distance. At least they were easy to dodge if you seen them coming.

I also think the fact you can hideously disfigure somebody for life plays a part. I mean if you stab somebody you’re probably more likely to kill them, which you might not want to do. Some people will enjoy watching the victim suffer for the rest of their lives.

12 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

I actually believed the guys story but since finding out about the threats to the exes mother I'm less sure.  The actions in the video seemed to match up to his story.............but of course defence lawyers will help with this.

I'd be surprised if anyone believed his story after the text he sent his sister before this happened that read "tell mum to mind that little bottle of hand wash in my car" was revealed

27 minutes ago, gkneil said:

I'd be surprised if anyone believed his story after the text he sent his sister before this happened that read "tell mum to mind that little bottle of hand wash in my car" was revealed

Ah I didn't see this on the BBC story.

Can't say I disagree with the sentence or think it's harsh but I was surprised to see as much as 20 years shoved up his arse for that. I suppose it makes more sense when all the charges add up considering how many people had been affected. 

• 7 months later...

Archived