St Mirren v Falkirk SPFL Championship 5/8/17

Tough start to the season for both sides. Obviously nothing is won or lost over the piece based on tomorrow but if there were ever two sides who historically need that early season bounce, it's St. Mirren and Falkirk based on our combined opening games in the last decade. 

Reality is that both of us would likely be happy to come away with a point. Falkirk are the last team to win in the league at St Mirren park back in January, so we were proving difficult to beat at home at the end last season but we recognise that we're not quite there yet in an attacking sense. So a point wouldn't harm either side's confidence going forward. 

Desperate for the three though. Would be a massive early bounce to get our own confidence up whilst knocking a team's that may well be a rival. 

I think tomorrow will be a tight match but if we win I will really enjoy beating the most over confident fans in Britain.

Please explain in what way was my post showing any kind of "over confidence"?

Tomorrow will be an extremely tight game. Score draw I predict.

2 minutes ago, Stevie88 said:

Please explain in what way was my post showing any kind of "over confidence"?

Tomorrow will be an extremely tight game. Score draw I predict.

Not just you mate. Cicero etc. A lot of you think you just have to turn up to win league. 

This is a tough league. Make no mistake about it.

46 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Tough start to the season for both sides. Obviously nothing is won or lost over the piece based on tomorrow but if there were ever two sides who historically need that early season bounce, it's St. Mirren and Falkirk based on our combined opening games in the last decade. 

Reality is that both of us would likely be happy to come away with a point. Falkirk are the last team to win in the league at St Mirren park back in January, so we were proving difficult to beat at home at the end last season but we recognise that we're not quite there yet in an attacking sense. So a point wouldn't harm either side's confidence going forward. 

Desperate for the three though. Would be a massive early bounce to get our own confidence up whilst knocking a team's that may well be a rival. 

Sure we lost at love st on the opener at love st last time we won the league (John Oneil spitgate) I never ever rated him, the best game I seen him play was v Hearts in the Scottish cup final for Gretna....the mercenary he was.

Surprised ish to see we are the last team to win at the new ground, I feel sorry for our younger fans not to have witnessed Brockville but by fuk, the win record at New love st must be a fukn mess and will have been hard to entice youngsters. 

I'm still in the thought if we win 1-0 it's a single Austin goal, 2-1 it's Austin and Loy. I can dream more, but stating win win, I need to rest my ways, supported Falkirk too long to fully predict a win in any game.

May the best team win and fairly

Not just you mate. Cicero etc. A lot of you think you just have to turn up to win league. 

Not just me? Not me at all.

This league or game will absolutely be no walk over and St. Mirren fans with half a brain know only too well.

Would be happy enough with a play off spot right now. We currently don't have enough up front, desperately need at least one more striker.

7 minutes ago, Stevie88 said:

Not just me? Not me at all.

This league or game will absolutely be no walk over and St. Mirren fans with half a brain know only too well.

Would be happy enough with a play off spot right now. We currently don't have enough up front, desperately need at least one more striker.

Fair enough not you.

You are cocky buggers though.

4 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Fair enough not you.

Ach behave. The Falkirk fans on this thread have been just as cocky in talking up their chances in this match and this season. Perhaps even more so. 

Most St Mirren supporters predictions of our chances this season have us finishing between 3rd and 6th based on our squad at the moment with some scope to go higher depending on the business we do in the transfer market over the next few weeks. Yes,  there are a few who are always going to predict higher finishes but it's a small percentage of the support. Just like it's a small percentage of our support (kanyewestbank and elvis) who think we're going go to struggle even more than last season. 

Edited by djchapsticks

5 hours ago, MrDust said:

Sure we lost at love st on the opener at love st last time we won the league (John Oneil spitgate) I never ever rated him, the best game I seen him play was v Hearts in the Scottish cup final for Gretna....the mercenary he was.

Surprised ish to see we are the last team to win at the new ground, I feel sorry for our younger fans not to have witnessed Brockville but by fuk, the win record at New love st must be a fukn mess and will have been hard to entice youngsters. 

I'm still in the thought if we win 1-0 it's a single Austin goal, 2-1 it's Austin and Loy. I can dream more, but stating win win, I need to rest my ways, supported Falkirk too long to fully predict a win in any game.

May the best team win and fairly

The season after spitgate, my mate won 4 tickets to hospitality in your first ever season at TFS for a game on Scotsport. 

The four of us went but somehow ended up with our tickets in the stand rather than the padded hospitality section. As we were in among a lot of very vocal Falkirk fans we singled out John O'Neill for abuse as St. Mirren had our own John O'Neill at the time and no one suspected a thing. They just thought we really hated the Buddies player.

Also to be fair it was a 0-0 draw and there was absolutely heehaw happening worth shouting about. Good hospitality though. 

#covert 

Team picks itself imo
Thomson
Muirheid
Watson
Grant
Gallagher
Harris
McKee
Taiwo
Hippo
Stone Cold
Loy

Would like to see us pressing high up the park from the off and looking to break at pace, we started far too many games slowly last season and it cost us.

I'll predict a 1-1 draw, Jack Ross' cardigan to score for the Fuddies and a Grant header for us.

I agree but Kerr will play I am sure of it.

Always loved that version of that song. 
Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke.
k3Akdy0.gif

Duke was the first album I bought as a kid. Suggest listening to FEAR by the current Marillion if you haven't already.

Onto the game, still haven't got my ticket. Are we genuinely anticipating problems buying tickets at the kiosk before the match today? Is it only single manned?

Hoping for an opening day win but still think it's got 1-1 written all over it.

I think we have realised that by now [emoji23], nearly got popped out the fucker last season.

It's the usual wind up merchants. Just now i think the majority of Saints fans would accept the play offs after our patchy League Cup form.

If both teams go at it today there should be goals (said this before the Thistle game too [emoji849]). If Morgan and Smith are on form today we have a chance. I don't know if I trust Stelious's defensive abilities against Hypolite but he is pacier than Irvine, that's assuming Eckersley is fit to play at left back.

Head is saying 2-1 Falkirk sadly.

Fair enough not you.

In all honesty I think reading through these posts a couple of Falkirk fans and St mirren fans are way too confident probably 12 year olds. The older ones with a brain know it will be a tight game and is a hard one to call.