St Mirren v Falkirk SPFL Championship 5/8/17

You can f**k off anaw ya Fife wid tink

You can thank your fellow Falkirk fans for the cardigan patter, they started it [emoji14].

In all seriousness I wasn't expecting a win like that, i did say before the game Morgan and Smith are match winners and both showed up today. I was expecting Falkirk to play like the first 25 mins for the whole game.

It's only one result, the fans needed that though. If we turn up we are a match for every team in this league but the worry is we won't show up like that every week.

1 hour ago, Just a bairn said:

I'm not sure I agree with the comments saying we were the better team for the first twenty minutes - or Loy being our best player - but each to their own. Regardless, St Mirren are absolutely streets ahead of us based on yesterday's game. I'm sure they'll make the playoffs quite comfortably. 

Not entirely sure where that leaves us. To be honest, the performance from us felt incredibly familiar from last season (It reminded me of the cup game at Cappielow in many ways) and it should be no surprise given the lack of turn around in the squad. We were not remotely good enough last year during the campaign and we're not suddenly going to be good enough this year. 

To be honest, Falkirk have come to St Mirren park played worse and still came away with all three points. When you went a goal up, I think most of your players would thinking that was it over and as in previous games  started time wasting and playing deep. This is a different St Mirren. Yes we were a bit lucky and after the falkirk goal, could have conceded more, but the falkirk goal was a bit lucky too, and we certainly had opportunities to equalise before we did. I wouldn't read too much into it. Except that St Mirren park is no longer a place where teams should roll up and just expect us to hand them a result on a plate.

34 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Doesn't shed any light on the red card though, sadly. I will say the linesman flagged straight away for it.

I thought it was harsh at the time but as you say the highlights don't really help. To be fair after all the years I've been going to games I am used to the West coast teams getting a lot of the decisions.

That aside St Mirren were worthy winners yesterday and looked a decent side. We though have work to do. Our full backs were honking.

9 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I thought it was harsh at the time but as you say the highlights don't really help. To be fair after all the years I've been going to games I am used to the West coast teams getting a lot of the decisions.

That aside St Mirren were worthy winners yesterday and looked a decent side. We though have work to do. Our full backs were honking.

:lol:

Anyway, Houston said in his post-match interview that he had no qualms about the red card and by the letter of the law it was the correct decision.

38 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Can't see from there if it was a red, and I'd no idea at the time but there were no complaints from any of the Falkirk players.

Also that big idiot Muirhead has got previous for losing the plot.

Called it straight away, led with his elbow, caught Stelios, deserved red. Really stupid thing to do.

Edited by Soctty

Just now, Grangemouth Bairn said:

DJ you know as well as I do the West Coast teams get more from the refs. That's a fact.

As I said though we were soundly beaten.

I'll be perfectly honest. I've never, ever thought 'Aye, we'll get that rub from the ref because we're from the West'.

The only time I've ever seen any sort of 'area' bias from the referees was back in the early days of Inverness and Ross County where a lot of refs, particularly for midweek games were drafted locally. That's about the start and end of it. The standard of refereeing is poor, yes. Biased on geography though? Nah not for my liking.

56 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Doesn't shed any light on the red card though, sadly. I will say the linesman flagged straight away for it.

Possibly the worst highlights package ever produced. Is it a 12 year old holding the camera.  Brutal.

5 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I thought Morgan had a far better game to be honest.  Reilly scored but the goalkeeper and defender should've done far better.

Reilly set up Stelios for the first, put the cross in which the keeper fumbled out for the second and scored the third so probably a decent shout for Motm. Looking like another very good signing by Jack. Morgan is a superb player though, great first touch, very fast, quick off the mark and not easily pushed off the ball - and also very two footed. We won't have him too much longer unfortunately.

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Possibly the worst highlights package ever produced. Is it a 12 year old holding the camera.  Brutal.

Not far off actually. Our media team is comprised entirely of media students from Paisley Uni. 

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'll be perfectly honest. I've never, ever thought 'Aye, we'll get that rub from the ref because we're from the West'.

The only time I've ever seen any sort of 'area' bias from the referees was back in the early days of Inverness and Ross County where a lot of refs, particularly for midweek games were drafted locally. That's about the start and end of it. The standard of refereeing is poor, yes. Biased on geography though? Nah not for my liking.

West coast bias tends to begin and end with the old firm in my humble opinion.

I thought Morgan had a far better game to be honest.  Reilly scored but the goalkeeper and defender should've done far better.

He set up our second too remember, a goal and an assist from your striker is good going. Smith got a goal and assist too, Morgan was excellent, and big Sutton put in a great shift.

I thought Reilly deserved his MOTM, he chased down every ball and got right in the defenders' faces taking the ball from them on a few occassions.

2 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

He set up our second too remember, a goal and an assist from your striker is good going. Smith got a goal and assist too, Morgan was excellent, and big Sutton put in a great shift.

I thought Reilly deserved his MOTM, he chased down every ball and got right in the defenders' faces taking the ball from them on a few occassions.

Two assists. He set up Stelios for his goal. 

Though it's very easy to get Reilly and Smith mixed up. They are practically twins. 

Edited by djchapsticks