St Mirren v Falkirk SPFL Championship 5/8/17

9 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'll be perfectly honest. I've never, ever thought 'Aye, we'll get that rub from the ref because we're from the West'.

The only time I've ever seen any sort of 'area' bias from the referees was back in the early days of Inverness and Ross County where a lot of refs, particularly for midweek games were drafted locally. That's about the start and end of it. The standard of refereeing is poor, yes. Biased on geography though? Nah not for my liking.

I totally disagree mate. If we are playing what's seemed as a 'Glasgow' team and it's a 'Glasgow' ref we know we are getting f**k all.

9 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Reilly set up Stelios for the first, put the cross in which the keeper fumbled out for the second and scored the third so probably a decent shout for Motm. Looking like another very good signing by Jack. Morgan is a superb player though, great first touch, very fast, quick off the mark and not easily pushed off the ball - and also very two footed. We won't have him too much longer unfortunately.

An overhit cross the keeper flapped at and a pass harris should've cleared. He'll not get an easier two assists.

Reilly and Sutton were superb up front, bullied Falkirks lumbering central defenders, after the switch of wings for Morgan it was if the league cup never happened, it was back to the performance level of the end of last season. Special mention for McShane, did all the dirty work which won us the midfield, him and McGinn won't lose too many battles this season. Massive game at Cappielow next week. Win there and it's blast off.

3 minutes ago, Young gun said:

That was quite good but slightly ruined you did not have the brains to insert the actual GIF and had to insert a link.

I moan about the West coast bias from refs but at least I don't have to worry about the West coast schooling system or expected average life expectancy. Small mercies.

3 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

An overhit cross the keeper flapped at and a pass harris should've cleared. He'll not get an easier two assists.

Not going to argue with you, was really impressed with Reilly's performance though. Maybe I'm just used to Morgan doing what he did today week in week out, and moreso since January.

2 hours ago, Just a bairn said:

I'm not sure I agree with the comments saying we were the better team for the first twenty minutes - or Loy being our best player - but each to their own. Regardless, St Mirren are absolutely streets ahead of us based on yesterday's game. I'm sure they'll make the playoffs quite comfortably. 

Not entirely sure where that leaves us. To be honest, the performance from us felt incredibly familiar from last season (It reminded me of the cup game at Cappielow in many ways) and it should be no surprise given the lack of turn around in the squad. We were not remotely good enough last year during the campaign and we're not suddenly going to be good enough this year. 

These same players bar Gallacher, Harris and McKee have done it for us in the past consistently for half a season or more.

Gallachers performance was similar to the Morton game mentioned and as a team it matched that day, the only difference was that day it was for a half and yesterday was a good 60 odd mins. We also had no leader on the park, no one stepped up resulting in us being pretty rudderless.

The thing that bugs me about yesterday is that all our previous on the deck play went out the window, our passing had no zip or fluency about it and reverted back to high ball Austin or high looped ball wide. I fear for us if Miller comes in for Loy as route one is gonna be more evident. I'm not 100% sure I want Shepherd or O'Hara starting either, so I'd probably go Craigen behind Austin if Loy is out.

I had been critical of our defence last season and pre to this and would get Muirhead into the centre, its obvious there is no leader in any of our usual three centre halves and in Muirhead we have a heid the baw who would either kill or cure Gallacher by telling him his job as well as others around him, far too much softly softly approach around our team.

Its gonna be an interesting 11 on Tuesday with no Muirhead and Kidd also by all accounts Watson struggling. I do reckon Houstie will/would go Watson right back and Luca and Grant centre, I'm fine with that for the cup game but surely the league game Finlayson has to get an opportunity to stake a claim or what's the point in having a development team under Houstie.

Our midfield and attack can live with anyone in this league where our defence needs Grant to perform to bring our defence up to scratch and the last season that's not been consistent.

Bad day at the office for 60 odd mins, tho im still not convinced we were brilliant the other 25 or so.

Sort it Houstie

7 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

That was quite good but slightly ruined you did not have the brains to insert the actual GIF and had to insert a link.

I moan about the West coast bias from refs but at least I don't have to worry about the West coast schooling system or expected average life expectancy. Small mercies.

Being from Grangemouth, isn't your life expectancy about 33?

1 minute ago, Trump said:

West coast bias? I've seen a lot of shite on here but this is up there. Soundly beaten yesterday and it had nothing to do with the referee.

One result doesn't make a season you guys will be in the mix to win the league come the end of the season.

Its a very open league this season with only Dundee Utd as possibly the clear favourites, given the players that they have signed.

1 minute ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I was talking generally not just about yesterday of which I acknowledged we were well beaten.

It's not something that fans of teams from the West coast would really notice, other than when they play the old firm. 

Reilly definitely deserved his MoM today. Was easier to see in 2nd half for me from where I was sitting,
But his work rate was incredible, for such a wee guy he got his body in front of Falkirk defenders and won so many free kicks, thrown ins and corners as a result. He also made numerous runs from "miles"'away to win possession back countless times to. If he can match that effort most weeks for us he'll be a great addition.

Morgan was excellent again, maybe we're spoiled by him but if I was to find a criticism from yesterday is his decision making could be better in certain situations - but that's me being extremely harsh!

2 minutes ago, geo87 said:

Reilly definitely deserved his MoM today. Was easier to see in 2nd half for me from where I was sitting,
But his work rate was incredible, for such a wee guy he got his body in front of Falkirk defenders and won so many free kicks, thrown ins and corners as a result. He also made numerous runs from "miles"'away to win possession back countless times to. If he can match that effort most weeks for us he'll be a great addition.

Morgan was excellent again, maybe we're spoiled by him but if I was to find a criticism from yesterday is his decision making could be better in certain situations - but that's me being extremely harsh!

You are! Morgan was the game changer yesterday when he swapped wings. Tore the full back apart and kept Hippo quiet and constantly stretched the Falkirk defence and kept them pegged back. Created the space for the others and got in some great crosses. Only a great save by Thomson prevented the wee man himself from scoring.