Charlie Gard

Romeo

3 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I'm not even sure if 'healthy' is the issue here.  You can read on the P&P Thread about parents/step-parents who have much-loved weans with some obstacles but they are a joy and have an excellent quality of life.  This wasn't the case for the wee bloke.

I'm firmly of the view that the parents were duped and were given false hope.  You can understand them wanting to try anything - but I'm sure they were mislead.  The excellent Melanie Phillips article posted by ICTChris certainly indicates this.

As for you and your Mrs?  Almost certainly everything will go well.  I'm having a day 'up London' with my 18 year old tomorrow and we'll do some shopping, see some sights and have a meal with her god-father.  I was anxious as f**k before she was born and during the birth...but all worked out well.

I've none of my own, but can empathise on the (step) grandfather front. Although I must admit that as they have mounted up I tend to get a little less anxious, but I 'm relieved when they pop out healthy and mother is fine.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

I've none of my own, but can empathise on the (step) grandfather front. Although I must admit that as they have mounted up I tend to get a little less anxious, but I 'm relieved when they pop out healthy and mother is fine.

Aye, I think you're a real credit to your family but the anxiety never goes away.  One reason I got snipped (apart from the cost of bringing up weans) was that of feeling anxious about their well-being.  Emotion kicks in when you see the first scan and can recognise this wean as yours and it certainly changes your outlook.

So I can fully understand the reaction of the parents but there surely should have been more 'left brain' input.

Regardless of their no doubt good intentions, the parents allowed their case to get diverted into a pro-life, pseudo-scientific circus. For entirely factual scientific evidence as well as ordinary staff at GOS to be thrown under a bus as a result of their narrow issue. That's not actually acceptable behaviour, regardless of whether it's your child on the line or not. It's not morally justifiable to subject dozens of innocent people to vitriolic abuse and harassment in order to add a decimal point to your child's survival chances.

Their indignation about GOS snubbing their final preparations rings hollow then.
Thousands of parents face the same predicament every year and don't undermine a highly esteemed clinic in the process.

My take on this was that I was uninformed and hadn't read the medical notes, even if I had I wouldn't understand the findings. That is up to medical professionals. It was a shit situation and a family tragedy that certain people have exploited to further their own point of view. 

The phenomenon of patients thinking they know better than doctors is nothing new in the google age. I deal with complaints of that nature on a daily basis. As soon as some big pharma company in the States announces a new trial you can guarantee that patients in clinics here are asking about it the next day. 

Fundamentally, patient expectations have actually outstripped scientific progress and, in a sizeable number of cases, nothing remotely effective can actually be done. People get sick and die sometimes. It's shit, but it's not necessarily the fault of your doctor/nurse/pharmacist when it happens. 

It's terrible that someone died so young but I agree entirely with VT. Sometimes it's not a good idea to promote causes on social media when innocent people trying to help are victimised by grief hunting fake fuckers who are promoting someone else's grief to get likes or retweets on a website.

Its sick and a part of society that something that is becoming far too common. Everyone feels sorry for the kid, there's no need to make a big deal out of it. If you really feel devastated by it then get the f**k off Facebook and do some fund raising.

c***s

My take on this was that I was uninformed and hadn't read the medical notes, even if I had I wouldn't understand the findings. That is up to medical professionals. It was a shit situation and a family tragedy that certain people have exploited to further their own point of view. 

Okay champ, thanks for that stellar contribution.

Right up there with the morons trying to stop kids getting mmr for utter tabloid propaganda shite......yes it's obviously painful but it does feel like parents here have gone full mccann for wanting everyone thinking they are the victims when actually it's the child in potential discomfort /pain/dead

My wife and I are expecting our first baby in early October. There is more stuff again this morning on the news about this and i'm not going to lie, it has me scared shitless! Seems like I can't avoid reading or hearing about this story so it is only natural my mind starts wandering and giving me the fear.

2 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

My wife and I are expecting our first baby in early October. There is more stuff again this morning on the news about this and i'm not going to lie, it has me scared shitless! Seems like I can't avoid reading or hearing about this story so it is only natural my mind starts wandering and giving me the fear.

It will be allright. Easy for me to say, I know, but we've had a few scares with the pregnancies of the grandchildren and everything turned out fine. But because it's your first it's only natural to be on tenter hooks. Try not to worry. (Again, easier said than done!)

3 hours ago, stumigoo said:

The reason you hear about these stories is because our grief driven media thrives on peddling them. The chances of anything similar happening with your child are statistically remote. Try to enjoy the amazing experience of pregnancy, child birth and parenthood. ETA - You can tell I never carried or gave birth!

You'll deal with any of the many trials and tribulations, step by step, as and when they happen.

Enjoy it mate :)

17 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I'm not well versed on the case, but surely if your kid is dying, you'd spend as much time as you could with him, rather than in and out of court.

I heard a report on the radio the other day that the parents tag teamed going to court, leaving one of them at his bedside.

Archived