Moving to Glasgow

Girth

1 minute ago, throbber said:

Your first answer doesn't really suffice. Where else have you lived?

Glasgow is Scotland's largest and greatest city, so shut up, throbber.

47 minutes ago, Johnny Däpp said:

One place no one has said yet is Braehead village, it's technically Renfrew but it's less than a mile from the Glasgow border. 

There is a very good reason for that.

Hello all
Wasn't sure where to put this thread exactly but this seemed right enough.
Anyway, I've been looking at leaving London (standard of living is crap) and after recent visits to Glasgow, I really dig it.
Since then, I've been researching my job role up there and it looks like I'd pretty much get the same money (if not more!) and have an ace standard of living.
Anyway, just after some advice, be looking to move up end of March (when my lease expires).
  • What are the pros and cons of Glasgow?
  • Which are the best areas/worst areas to live?
  • How can I avoid most of the old firm cretins?
  • How is the job market (finance) generally?
  • Do particular areas have a good community feel?
Many thanks!

If you drive I'd say move just outside Glasgow you'll get far more for your money.

21 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Hey you, Renfrew is excellent.....I've heard..

:unsure:

I had 20 happy years there. Much prefer Ayr now though.

Anderston area of Glasgow is on the up with a mixture of traditional tenements and new blocks of flats.

7 hours ago, Girth said:

Hello all

Wasn't sure where to put this thread exactly but this seemed right enough.

Anyway, I've been looking at leaving London (standard of living is crap) and after recent visits to Glasgow, I really dig it.

Since then, I've been researching my job role up there and it looks like I'd pretty much get the same money (if not more!) and have an ace standard of living.

What age are you and do you have/plan to have kids?  I've been considering such a move recently for family reasons but I'd buy a flat in the city centre.  However, if my weans were still wee then I'd put schools etc first.

What age are you and do you have/plan to have kids?  I've been considering such a move recently for family reasons but I'd buy a flat in the city centre.  However, if my weans were still wee then I'd put schools etc first.

35. No kids but Possibly!

Braehead is not a bad shout actually. Lot of very nice flats there, balconies overlooking the river, close to loads of amenities, cinemas, shops. 5 minutes to the airport and motorway.

Tons of buses , 15 minutes into city centre.

Worth a look imo

6 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

If you drive I'd say move just outside Glasgow you'll get far more for your money.

Good point, Glasgow is probably the most accessible city by motorway in the UK. But if you want to live there that's a really dumb suggestion. Just keeping the balance.

Well I've lived in a few areas of Glasgow so here's my opinion:

• Maryhill (well the student village) - Nice as long as you don't venture into Ruchazie
  • Gorbals - Had a bad name, but mostly new flats. Not much in the way of shops / pubs although you're not far from the centre. 
  • Partick - Cheaper than West End and plenty of decent pubs, bit of a pain in the arse for parking
  • Kinning Park - Handy for the underground
  • Cessnock - Handy for the underground
  • Ibrox - Handy for the underground
  • Muirend - Bit far out of town but generally nice. Only one pub
  • Dennistoun - Coming up in the world. My abiding memory was the amount of dog shit there .. Whitehill Street was commonly called Shitehill Street. 
  • Pollokshaws - Handy for town and if you fancy a £3.50 lunch out the Star Bar
  • Cathcart - Lovely
  • Battlefield - As Cathcart. Handy for buses / trains into town and parking not too bad. Less than a mile's walk to Shawlands

2 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:
  • Dennistoun - Coming up in the world. My abiding memory was the amount of dog shit there .. Whitehill Street was commonly called Shitehill Street. 

Stayed in Dennistoun for a few years - about a 20 minute walk back into George Square or down to Glasgow green. Also got the low-level train at Bellgrove to get in to Queen Street. Flats were very good value when we were looking and likely still similar now. A few nice places on duke street for grub. Would recommend.

Edit - There was lots of dogshit.

Edited by SamuraiJock

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

That's a bit of a hike.

That's what I thought!

9 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Well I've lived in a few areas of Glasgow so here's my opinion:

• Maryhill (well the student village) - Nice as long as you don't venture into Ruchazie