Squad for Lithuania and Malta

Gordopolis

Am I right in saying that if we beat Malta and Slovakia drop points at Wembley then it's in our own hands?

We'll need to win all three games, they finish against Lithuania and Malta, so should get six points.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

It's a telling stat and kind of proves  that these Championship guys Strachan continues to play aren't as good as he thinks they are.

The bizarre thing is at Middlesbrough his failing was overrating Scottish based players who he signed, and underrating the Championship by thinking the guys signed from Scotland would stroll it.

His viewpoint has switched, perhaps an overreaction to that spell.

21 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Am I right in saying that if we beat Malta and Slovakia drop points at Wembley then it's in our own hands?

Yes, more or less.  Our match against Malta is obviously in our hands too, so the main thing outside of that is that Slovakia don't win at Wembley.

It's not entirely that simple though, because it requires things to happen in other groups to ensure that we're not the worst off 2nd placed team, should we get there.  As things stand, I think it's likely a runner up elsewhere would have fewer points than us, but by no means certain.

Even if all that fell into place for us, we'd still face a two legged play off against a higher - possibly very much higher - ranked side, so qualification remains a terribly long shot.

9 hours ago, skippy2015 said:

What I think is totally unfair is that the playoffs are seeded it's a joke. So say your a pot 3 or 4 team and overperform in your group and finish 2nd you prob will have to play the likes of Italy Portugal Croatia Spain Netherlands etc. If your a pot 1 team who underperformed and finish 2nd you get rewarded with an easier draw!!!! All aimed at getting as many of the heavy weights to the World Cup. The playoffs should be a straight draw no seeds.

It's aimed at getting the best teams to the World Cup, what's the issue with that?

Presumably you think the 'no seeding' criteria should be applied in the qualification groups too? If not, why is it fine for the groups but not the play-offs?

I noticed Broon was releasing the pass a lot quicker than he used to. Is this down to Rodgers management, or down to it being against a fairly weak team so it was easier to play the quick pass?

Also no point in getting too carried away as  we played some absolutely suicidal passes to their forwards which would have been punished by better opposition.

One of the best nights of my Scotland life came about 13 years ago when Scotland u21s were 2-0 down to Lithuania u21s at McDiarmid Park, with 89 mins on the clock.
Scotland won 3-2 and I don't even know what became of anything that occured that night.
Think some forward-thinking manager probably binned a few for being too small or some shite.
Anyway. Tonight was the 2nd best result against Lithuania I've seen us get, and it was highly enjoyable

Ha ha I was at that game to great comeback think Stephen Hughes played and scored can't remember much about the game apart from mad celebration when we scored winner in injury time

No they finish against us and Malta. They play England Monday. 

I keep getting them and Slovenia mixed up. They should be kept apart when groups are drawn

It's aimed at getting the best teams to the World Cup, what's the issue with that?
Presumably you think the 'no seeding' criteria should be applied in the qualification groups too? If not, why is it fine for the groups but not the play-offs?

No it's fair seeding it at the start obviously as you could end up with a group like Scotland andorra malta Faroe Islands San Marino which would be awesome but ultimately unfair. What's unfair is that once qualification done they re- seed for the playoffs - if you a pot one team like England France for example and finish second by underperforming against your current pot tough you shouldn't get rewarded for underperforming to then get a more favourable draw.

Maybe average for the premiership but that average is at a level way above where most of our squad play. If we had a few right backs in the squad playing well then maybe worth forgetting. Tierney is doing great in there but potentially could help solve a bigger problem. Whilst a gap like this exists and players like Forrest are preprinted on team sheets then bizarre decisions deserve to be questioned. 

If he called up Bardsley after Tierney had done so well there he'd be absolutely slated for not trusting young Scottish based players and instead average old English born ones.

Forrest does away ok. Yes he is annoying as f**k a lot but he does a decent shift more often than not and has come on a lot as a player under Rodgers. Add that to the fact that Celtic are doing so well and he's a part of it it gives the team an identity.

If Forrest gets bombed out the Celtic team which is possible because of Roberts then it would maybe be fair to question it but whilst he's playing so often and well then you just can't.

You only picked out two there by the way and even then the argument is so lightweight, everybody disagrees with certain positions I'm sure there's no way everyone will be happy.

5 minutes ago, skippy2015 said:

No it's fair seeding it at the start obviously as you could end up with a group like Scotland andorra malta Faroe Islands San Marino which would be awesome but ultimately unfair. What's unfair is that once qualification done they re- seed for the playoffs - if you a pot one team like England France for example and finish second by underperforming against your current pot tough you shouldn't get rewarded for underperforming to then get a more favourable draw.

Why is it obviously? Why is seeding fair only until the groups are finished, and then suddenly it becomes unfair? There is no logic to that. They aren't getting rewarded for under performing, they are getting 'rewarded' for their results over the previous few years which got them a higher ranking, which is exactly the same way they rewarded when the initial group draw came out and they were given 1st seed status.

It seems your basic point is that each qualification campaign should be a clean slate for each team and previous results not place any team at an advantage/disadvantage. Which is fine, but then the only way to truly do that is to have a totally random, unseeded group draw, and then unseeded play-offs. Similar to a national cup competition.

3 minutes ago, skippy2015 said:

Ps - what's wrong with wanting to get all the best teams to a World Cup? - I would prefer a tournament where all the teams deserve to be at the World Cup without the unfair advantage they get by seeding the playoffs.

Like I say, why is it unfair seeding in the play-offs but not the groups though? The play-offs use the same criteria for seeding as the qualification groups do. If one is unfair then both are.

14 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Why is it obviously? Why is seeding fair only until the groups are finished, and then suddenly it becomes unfair? There is no logic to that. They aren't getting rewarded for under performing, they are getting 'rewarded' for their results over the previous few years which got them a higher ranking, which is exactly the same way they rewarded when the initial group draw came out and they were given 1st seed status.

It seems your basic point is that each qualification campaign should be a clean slate for each team and previous results not place any team at an advantage/disadvantage. Which is fine, but then the only way to truly do that is to have a totally random, unseeded group draw, and then unseeded play-offs. Similar to a national cup competition.

Like I say, why is it unfair seeding in the play-offs but not the groups though? The play-offs use the same criteria for seeding as the qualification groups do. If one is unfair then both are.

Totally disagree with you on this nobody should be seeded after effectively failing to qualify. The play offs are a 2nd bite at the cherry and no extra advantage shouod be given, hope that clears it up for you 

I work out the average age of last night's team as 27. Probably younger than many Scotland teams of the past thirty years as most managers (from the days of Roxburgh and Brown right up to the present day) seem to always err on the side of caution and opt for experience.

You genuinely can't think it is fair to seed the play offs! Every single team has finished in the same position over the course of their group.

The groups can be seeded as teams are ranked based on their recent results, the play offs should not be seeded as each team has achieved similar results recently as they have all finished second!

I work out the average age of last night's team as 27. Probably younger than many Scotland teams of the past thirty years as most managers (from the days of Roxburgh and Brown right up to the present day) seem to always err on the side of caution and opt for experience.

We've had over lots of matches with an average age of 27 or under in the last twenty years. Between 2006 and 2013 it was the exception to have an average age over 28, going by the London Hearts site.

Yes, more or less.  Our match against Malta is obviously in our hands too, so the main thing outside of that is that Slovakia don't win at Wembley.
It's not entirely that simple though, because it requires things to happen in other groups to ensure that we're not the worst off 2nd placed team, should we get there.  As things stand, I think it's likely a runner up elsewhere would have fewer points than us, but by no means certain.
Even if all that fell into place for us, we'd still face a two legged play off against a higher - possibly very much higher - ranked side, so qualification remains a terribly long shot.

This is it in a nutshell.

Four big factors:

1. Can we win all three remaining games? Huge ask, but the order of them is ideal (easiest game, massive home game with packed hampden, then the one-off 'win and get a playoff' match in Slovenia)

2. As long as England don't lose to Slovakia on Monday... (really shouldn't happen but if it does we're gone)

3. We'd be really unlucky to finish second with 20 points and not make the playoffs. But it's still a possibility...

4. Then the actual fucking playoff (but at that stage I think we're all just glad to fucking be there)

Archived