Sportscene Watch 19/20

The weirdest thing is that Scottish football is absolutely awash with ex-pro's who can do by-the-numbers analysis (they all share the same opinion on virtually any topic anyway) - so to pick someone with Mackay's baggage was an odd choice.

As far as I understand it, Michael Stewart was freelance and not an 'official' member of staff so if the BBC want to re-use him or not is their prerogative.  To stop hiring him all of a sudden and instead hire a man with as much baggage as Malky Mackay is not a very good look on their part at all.

The BBC have said Michael Stewart WON'T be back until they are certain the pundit's row over Rangers PR chief Jim Traynor won't be repeated.

The former Hearts and Hibs man has been off air for a fortnight after taking aim at Traynor on the Beeb's radio show Sportsound

He has also been absent from TV highlights show Sportscene in which he regularly features alongside host Jonathan Sutherland and Steven Thompson.

James McFadden replaced Stewart initially with Malky Mackay featuring on last night's episode following the weekend action.

SunSport revealed last week Stewart's Beeb suspension would be extended into this week.

But no return date has been set with the broadcaster determined to ensure there is no repeat of the furore

BBC spokesperson said: "Our editorial guidelines were not adhered to on Sportsound and we’re still in discussions to ensure there’s no repeat of that in future.

"While those discussions continue, Michael Stewart will not appear on any of our sports programmes

15 hours ago, bennett said:

The BBC have said Michael Stewart WON'T be back until they are certain the pundit's row over Rangers PR chief Jim Traynor won't be repeated.

The former Hearts and Hibs man has been off air for a fortnight after taking aim at Traynor on the Beeb's radio show Sportsound

He has also been absent from TV highlights show Sportscene in which he regularly features alongside host Jonathan Sutherland and Steven Thompson.

James McFadden replaced Stewart initially with Malky Mackay featuring on last night's episode following the weekend action.

SunSport revealed last week Stewart's Beeb suspension would be extended into this week.

But no return date has been set with the broadcaster determined to ensure there is no repeat of the furore

BBC spokesperson said: "Our editorial guidelines were not adhered to on Sportsound and we’re still in discussions to ensure there’s no repeat of that in future.

"While those discussions continue, Michael Stewart will not appear on any of our sports programmes

Appreciate you just pasted this but thats odd -

So its fine and dandy for Tam Cowan to state that he "wouldnt trust a word that Craig Whyte says", but Michael Stewart saying that Traynor is "a dangerous individual" is not adhering to the guidelines?????

Smells like pish

So its fine and dandy for Tam Cowan to state that he "wouldnt trust a word that Craig Whyte says", but Michael Stewart saying that Traynor is "a dangerous individual" is not adhering to the guidelines?????
Smells like pish

Stewart did make an arse of it, that has to be remembered.

He made quite specific allegations that he couldn’t support in trying to make a broader point. It was very clumsy.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

He made quite specific allegations that he couldn’t support in trying to make a broader point. It was very clumsy.

But he didn't. He claimed Traynor was a bully that everyone agrees with. Even if they don't he still has a right to say it if he believes he is one. He did not claim Traynor leaked the Morelos brake tampering story, he maybe inferred it but stopped short. He did say Traynor's P.R. for The Rangers is a disaster and he's not wrong there. He relentlessly  pilloried Levein and, even as a Hibee,  I thought he over stepped the mark on occasions but absolutely nothing was done and no apology ever uttered from the BBC. If you can't see this as biased censorship and kowtowing to one of the nastiest businesses in World Football you need to wake up.

Edited by Joe Terrapin

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Examples are always helpful

But he didn't. He claimed Traynor was a bully that everyone agrees with. Even if they don't he still has a right to say it if he believes he is one. He did not claim Traynor leaked the Morelos brake tampering story, he maybe inferred it but stopped short. He did say Traynor's P.R. for The Rangers is a disaster and he's not wrong there. He relentlessly  pilloried Levein and, even as a Hibee,  I thought he over stepped the mark on occasions but absolutely nothing was done and no apology ever uttered from the BBC. If you can't see this as biased censorship and kowtowing to one of the nastiest businesses in World Football you need to wake up.

I know what’s going on here, please spare me the ‘wake up’ chat.

The broader point Stewart had re traynor and rangers PR was absolutely correct, but he was clumsy about it without question. He maybe didn’t directly say traynor planted the story but he heavily implied that was what traynor was up to. There was no need for him to link the Morelos story to the wider PR point. It was an open goal for traynor basically.

There is no doubt the bbc are sensitive to this because they are desperate to get back onside with rangers, and they are making an example of him almost as a grovelling gesture to rangers. But Stewart did f**k it up.

Malky gets a mention in the latest Richard Herring podcast, with former Cardiff player Jon Parkin describing how MacKay would make his life a misery to the point that all he could do after training was go to bed and hide away until having to face it the next morning. 

Malky Mackay's views on the origins of the coronavirus would have been interesting - given he seems to have the ability to insult 1.3 billion people.

However, he is still seen as a preferred option than someone that has a go at the media relations chief of a club that they have had an enforced boycott of for several years. 

Edited by tarapoa

2 hours ago, Green Day said:

Examples are always helpful

Only thing he said outright was Traynor at the Daily Record gave Craig Whyte editorial control of Rangers articles - 100% correct per Whyte's book which as yet has no writ from Traynor or Daily Record. Calling Traynor dangerous is a valid opinion.   

5 hours ago, Green Day said:

Smells like pish

Unfortunately not perhaps. AFAIK Jim Traynor has never stood trial for anything w.r.t. Rangers . Craig Whyte has , and the case was rather complicated in some places for some people eg. me

9 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

Unfortunately not perhaps. AFAIK Jim Traynor has never stood trial for anything w.r.t. Rangers . Craig Whyte has , and the case was rather complicated in some places for some people eg. me

You are missing the point I was making regarding the double standards of the BBC guidelines.

With reference to how you can or cant talk or comment about a person on the BBC - your point about being on trial is irrelevant especially as Whyte was found not guilty. 

I know what’s going on here, please spare me the ‘wake up’ chat.

The broader point Stewart had re traynor and rangers PR was absolutely correct, but he was clumsy about it without question. He maybe didn’t directly say traynor planted the story but he heavily implied that was what traynor was up to. There was no need for him to link the Morelos story to the wider PR point. It was an open goal for traynor basically.

There is no doubt the bbc are sensitive to this because they are desperate to get back onside with rangers, and they are making an example of him almost as a grovelling gesture to rangers. But Stewart did f**k it up.
From "very specific" to "didn't directly say".

5 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

If that was cause for a suspension then they'd never have anyone on the show.

I'd never accuse you of saying anything specific, anyway.
I'm specifically saying you've made a c**t of this.

Now, what were those "specific" accusations that he made?

I'll understand if you deflect and try not to answer a direct question.

3 minutes ago, Romeo said:

I'm specifically saying you've made a c**t of this.

Now, what were those "specific" accusations that he made?

I'll understand if you deflect and try not to answer a direct question.

I don't know why you've gotten so precious over this but you are liable to lose the head sometimes.

The point was more that Stewart made an arse of it. 'Specific allegations' maybe wasn't the best wording (there you go mate, you won one), but he fucked up the broader point by implying and connecting it to specific things that he couldn't substantiate.

If he'd said 'I don't want to comment on specific stories but the messages that come out of Rangers, their PR advisers are inflammatory, dangerous.....etc etc' then he couldn't be picked apart. Traynor might claim he was being unfairly reported on but he wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on.

The point Stewart was trying to make absolutely needs made so I am annoyed he fucked it up.