PSJFC v MFC 12.8.17

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thought saints played better on Tuesday night then yesterday. Didn't hold onto the ball at all yesterday . Funny old game

It's the lack of a Millar type player in the centre that's causing that. Paton and Davidson have their strengths but that aspect bypasses them both.

I can't conclusively say if a sliver of the ball was hanging over the line when the keeper handled it or not.  Is deliberate hand ball a sending off anywhere on the pitch or just for goalkeepers or was the offence denying a goal opportunity?

I think that is key. Most fans have now watched the footage and freeze framed and it is still inconclusive. I too am unsure whether a goalie handling oustide the box is a straight red or whether it is because of denying a clear goal scoring opportunity ? 

Either way our stand up and guiding light of a referee could not wait to get his red card out despite being behind the play and must have been guesswork. The linesman never flagged as far as I recall. 

We were culpable for the outcome but incompetence from u know who also cost us. 

I think that is key. Most fans have now watched the footage and freeze framed and it is still inconclusive. I too am unsure whether a goalie handling oustide the box is a straight red or whether it is because of denying a clear goal scoring opportunity ? 
Either way our stand up and guiding light of a referee could not wait to get his red card out despite being behind the play and must have been guesswork. The linesman never flagged as far as I recall. 
We were culpable for the outcome but incompetence from u know who also cost us. 

Your own manager says the linesman gave it-he doesn't have to flag. Robinson said he told Thompson through the headset. He was perfectly placed to see it and it didn't exactly happen at high speed.

McHugh's challenge was not the two footed lunge that is being described.  He blocked a clearance with his shins. It may have been robust enough to warrant a yellow.  His issue was the yellow he needlessly picked up earlier.

1 hour ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

It's the lack of a Millar type player in the centre that's causing that. Paton and Davidson have their strengths but that aspect bypasses them both.

And the big question that nobody is asking. Where is Chris Millar? He's not injured.

I thought Tuesday night was a hard game to summarise but yesterday maybe eclipsed it. Motherwell managed to control the middle of the park when they had eleven men, Saints struggle to string two passes together, yet the visitors find themselves, at one stage, two goals down and their only two really decent chances come from set plays.

Motherwell have to be disappointed that with such a grip in terms of possession and territory that they created virtually nothing from open play and that was without Saints defending particularly well, although much better than on Tuesday night. I thought Motherwell's physicality helped them impose themselves on the game and maybe if Tanner or Frear had been available, there would have been more quality coming into the box.

Saints struggled to put any meaningful moves together but the individual quality of O'Halloran told. I suppose that if he keeps this form up, we have to try and enjoy him until January as it could be hard to hold onto him beyond it.

8 minutes ago, Broon_100 said:

And the big question that nobody is asking. Where is Chris Millar? He's not injured.

I find this whole situation strange. Whatever happens in the next few months, Chris Millar can hold his head high as his conduct has been exemplary this year, in the face of what some might say has been unfair treatment of a superb servant to Saints.

Was this not a classic St Johnstone performance, stats wise?

Other team has most of the ball, but only creates low quality chances, whilst we have little of the ball but create high quality chances? We're an anomaly.

35 minutes ago, Radford said:

I find this whole situation strange. Whatever happens in the next few months, Chris Millar can hold his head high as his conduct has been exemplary this year, in the face of what some might say has been unfair treatment of a superb servant to Saints.

Rumours Midge is leaving,but not too sure of source

Unless it's injury related, then I don't get it. He's the best of our four central midfielders on the ball by a long way.

He played first half against East Fife and hasn't been seen since. He wasn't great that day, getting caught in possession quite a bit, but it was only a friendly and he was our best player at home v Trakai when he came on.

I see from pictures he was at the fun day yesterday, has someone spoken to him there and this has come out on the back of it? 

If this has been a fall out and we're getting rid of him on the back of that, I'd be gutted to be honest. As Radford says, he's been a great servant for the club, and is also a player we currently need.

Hopefully it's just nonsense and we see him back playing for us soon enough...

I can actually see us getting Carson's downgraded to a yellow tbh. There's no excuse for the daftness of him not just emptying the ball up the park it but going by Jamie's screenshots earlier in the thread and having watched the incident again it's marginal as to whether or not the ball was on the line when he handles it and brings the ball into the box. We're talking a matter of inches, not feet. It's not like he's Gunning-ed it on the halfway line.

Given that it's as marginal as it is there's absolutely no way that either the referee or linesman could have said with certainty that even a fraction of the ball wasn't on the line. In terms of intent then at the very worst it's a misjudgement on the goalkeeper's part and from the ref and linesman's point of view they've made a game changing decision based on a guess.

I really wouldn't be surprised if we're able to put forward a decent argument for it going down as a yellow. Especially given the way the game panned out.

I can actually see us getting Carson's downgraded to a yellow tbh. There's no excuse for the daftness of him not just emptying the ball up the park it but going by Jamie's screenshots earlier in the thread and having watched the incident again it's marginal as to whether or not the ball was on the line when he handles it and brings the ball into the box. We're talking a matter of inches, not feet. It's not like he's Gunning-ed it on the halfway line.
Given that it's as marginal as it is there's absolutely no way that either the referee or linesman could have said with certainty that even a fraction of the ball wasn't on the line. In terms of intent then at the very worst it's a misjudgement on the goalkeeper's part and from the ref and linesman's point of view they've made a game changing decision based on a guess.
I really wouldn't be surprised if we're able to put forward a decent argument for it going down as a yellow. Especially given the way the game panned out.

You're forgetting the authorities will do all in their power to prevent criticising the refs, you'll likely end up with a fine and a longer suspension for "wasting their time"

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

You're forgetting the authorities will do all in their power to prevent criticising the refs, you'll likely end up with a fine and a longer suspension for "wasting their time"

I'm not so sure. We successfully appealed this one.

giphy.gif

Archived