The astonishingly bad song thread

tongue_tied_danny

On 29/03/2022 at 08:27, BFTD said:

The Broken Records podcast has a new #1 worst album. Not sure I agree, as I'd rather listen to this on a 24-hour loop than BrokenCYDE once, but if your thing is listening to snippets of a rambling schizophrenic robot randomly played over some of the worst electropop imaginable, here's your new favourite record:

This is obviously terrible but it somehow doesn't sound like something unique, or completely derisive. I like this bit from the Wikipedia page:

In a commentary for Dummy, Steph Kretowicz praised My Teenage Dream Ended for "its realistic portrayal of a mind mashed by mass media"

I think... I think I agree with the praise???

• 2 weeks later...

Eddie Vedder put out a new solo album a few weeks ago. It sounds broadly how you'd expect a solo album by Eddie Vedder in 2022 to sound, but special mention needs made of its ending. There are songs featuring Elton John (vocals, piano), Ringo Starr (drums, vocals) and Stevie Wonder, who plays the harmonica on this:

It might be the worst song to feature EV since Let the Records Play off of Lightning Bolt in 2013. That was irritating, this is just a mess. 

On 08/04/2022 at 19:55, Miguel Sanchez said:

Eddie Vedder put out a new solo album a few weeks ago. It sounds broadly how you'd expect a solo album by Eddie Vedder in 2022 to sound, but special mention needs made of its ending. There are songs featuring Elton John (vocals, piano), Ringo Starr (drums, vocals) and Stevie Wonder, who plays the harmonica on this:

It might be the worst song to feature EV since Let the Records Play off of Lightning Bolt in 2013. That was irritating, this is just a mess. 

That doesnt sound like Eddie Vedder.

I love your creamy yellow thighs
your slanty eyes

It's like that Butterfly song by Crazy Town but really really ever just so slightly racist.

That is either genuinely horrific or a Spinal Tap level of brilliant satire

Even the guitar solo leaves you wondering whether it was intentionally bad or was it serious

Has there ever been a musical act more embarrassing than Com Truise?

I don't think so. Everything about this is shite. I could make a better tune on a Casio keyboard, but I'd know better than to try to be both edgy and retro by calling it "VHS sex".

2 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

I think that was mentioned earlier and it will probably be nominated several more times as well, deservedly so 

Early Genesis had some dreadful tosh but they were generally over ambitious failed experiments. This is just tired, lazy, thoughtless shit on all levels

26 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I think that was mentioned earlier and it will probably be nominated several more times as well, deservedly so 

Early Genesis had some dreadful tosh but they were generally over ambitious failed experiments. This is just tired, lazy, thoughtless shit on all levels

I posted it in the "songs/movies/tv shows that wouldn't be made today" thread.

Genesis are one of my favourite bands, but that particular song is fucking awful and is the only one I will actually skip if I'm listening to the self-titled album - which is not very often tbf, as it is not one of their best.

5 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Genesis are one of my favourite bands, but that particular song is fucking awful and is the only one I will actually skip if I'm listening to the self-titled album - which is not very often tbf, as it is not one of their best.

Really annoys me that the two songs you were guaranteed to hear at latter-day Genesis concerts were 'Invisible Touch' and the appalling 'Home by the Sea' at the expense of more substantial stuff. 

This, meanwhile, is utterly pish: 

31 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I knew I'd seen it somewhere

The early '80s was a weird time for 70's prog rock giants trying to reinvent themselves for the new electronic era

It was about this time that Yes merged with the Buggles 

5 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The early '80s was a weird time for 70's prog rock giants trying to reinvent themselves for the new electronic era

In my opinion, Yes have gone on to release so many substandard albums that some of the records released in the whole Buggles/Trevor Horn/Trevor Rabin period would probably rank surprisingly high in their catalogue. 

I reckon the 1980s were a tricky time for a lot of acts with technology, production, videos, etc - a lot of bands didn't seem to know what the f**k they were doing at that time. 

19 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Really annoys me that the two songs you were guaranteed to hear at latter-day Genesis concerts were 'Invisible Touch' and the appalling 'Home by the Sea' at the expense of more substantial stuff. 

This, meanwhile, is utterly pish: 

I had a ticket for their cancelled Hydro show which was never rescheduled. I was very disappointed because it was the only chance I will ever get to see them. Their setlist was a bit "safe" though. I was hoping they would play more of their older stuff.

I have a bootleg of a 1980 concert and the setlist on that was fantastic. 

Duke was their last good album IMO. 

32 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

9 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

In my opinion, Yes have gone on to release so many substandard albums that some of the records released in the whole Buggles/Trevor Horn/Trevor Rabin period would probably rank surprisingly high in their catalogue. 

I reckon the 1980s were a tricky time for a lot of acts with technology, production, videos, etc - a lot of bands didn't seem to know what the f**k they were doing at that time. 

Didn't they only do one album together? Drama, I think it was. I'm not a massive fan (I only like two of the albums of theirs I've heard) so could be wrong.

A lot of the 70s prog acts had an ill-advised attempt to be "modern" at the time. Jethro Tull did it as well. 

36 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:
Didn't they only do one album together? Drama, I think it was. I'm not a massive fan (I only like two of the albums of theirs I've heard) so could be wrong.
A lot of the 70s prog acts had an ill-advised attempt to be "modern" at the time. Jethro Tull did it as well. 

90125 was produced by Trevor Horn and sounds very “produced by Trevor Horn”

Apparently they’d got as far as mixing the album when they persuaded Anderson to come back. Which means that Horn the producer effectively heard his vocals back and decided to sack Horn the singer.

He clearly lacked the ego required to be a rock star

Besides he was about to unleash Frankie Goes To Hollywood on an unsuspecting public

But presumably there’s tapes in a vault somewhere of changes and owner of a lonely heart with Trevor Horn on vocals. 

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

30 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I had a ticket for their cancelled Hydro show which was never rescheduled. I was very disappointed because it was the only chance I will ever get to see them. Their setlist was a bit "safe" though. I was hoping they would play more of their older stuff.

I have a bootleg of a 1980 concert and the setlist on that was fantastic. 

Duke was their last good album IMO. 

Aye, there's a Genesis concert from around 1980 what was broadcast on the Whistle Test that was brilliant.

Drama is really divisive among Yes fans, but I really liked it - I also liked 90125, which was produced by Trev Horn - much more commercial AOR than prog, though. 

4 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

90125 was produced by Trevor Horn and sounds very “produced by Trevor Horn”

Apparently they’d got as far as mixing the album when they persuaded Anderson to come back. Which means that Horn the producer effectively heard his vocals back and decided to sack Horn the singer.

He clearly lacked the ego required to be a rock star

Besides he was about to unleash Frankie Goes To Hollywood on an unsuspecting public

But presumably there’s tapes in a vault somewhere if changes and owner of a lonely heart with Horn on vocals

The band had been called Cinema when they started recording with Squire and Rabin on vocals - it immediately became Yes when Anderson added his vox.

There is a demo of Rabin singing an early version of 'Owner', but it's very different, and not great.

Rabin is a talented writer and performer, but his production tastes take things into Mutt Lange territory - when he was given full control to produce, as he was on the Yes album 'Talk', the results were turgid.