The Gretna 2008 Thread

gretnascotty

On 24/07/2024 at 16:40, Rosey1889 said:

Why?

Maybe he wishes Gretna the best of wishes ? Yes Gretna the team that fucked up financially, went bust, got every trophy they’d won taken away ( physically) re grouped and started from scratch under a new name. How honourable. 

1 hour ago, annan4eva said:

Maybe he wishes Gretna the best of wishes ? Yes Gretna the team that fucked up financially, went bust, got every trophy they’d won taken away ( physically) re grouped and started from scratch under a new name. How honourable. 

At least they have a small committee and volunteers that actually care for the club and the village.

It takes a lot to run even the smallest of teams nowadays.

I'd say that's honourable enough ;)

8 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

At least they have a small committee and volunteers that actually care for the club and the village.

It takes a lot to run even the smallest of teams nowadays.

I'd say that's honourable enough ;)

Indeed i wish them well. Very honourable. Another Scottish team suffered from a similar fate in 2012 and chose to go down a less honest path.

2 hours ago, annan4eva said:

I believe the club don't claim a connection to the previous entity, hence Gretna 2008?

Just now, Burnieman said:

I believe the club don't claim a connection to the previous entity, hence Gretna 2008?

Yes my point they were left with nothing, all history down to photos were taken but the administration 

Just now, annan4eva said:

Yes my point they were left with nothing, all history down to photos were taken but the administration 

By sorry 

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday we got our just deserves, a battling performance away from home & clean sheet & 3 points! Something we struggled to do last season.  Last week at home to Albion Rovers people looking at the full time result would have been saying “different season same old gretna” however we were good last week at times and didn’t deserve to lose the game 3-0, but really pleased the lads have responded and got a welcome 3 points on the board early! 

A tough game away to Caley Braves midweek, be a big test for us.

A lot of good things happening within the club for the first time in a few seasons.  Some really good individuals involved in the club (all local people might I add) a real buzz about the place & we’ve brought some good players in on the pitch as well.  

We’ll give a good account of ourselves this season, mark my words!

12 hours ago, gretnascotty said:

Yesterday we got our just deserves, a battling performance away from home & clean sheet & 3 points! Something we struggled to do last season.  Last week at home to Albion Rovers people looking at the full time result would have been saying “different season same old gretna” however we were good last week at times and didn’t deserve to lose the game 3-0, but really pleased the lads have responded and got a welcome 3 points on the board early! 

A lot of good things happening within the club for the first time in a few seasons.  Some really good individuals involved in the club (all local people might I add) a real buzz about the place & we’ve brought some good players in on the pitch as well.  

All the very best 

12 hours ago, gretnascotty said:

A part of me wants to see Gretna 2008 in the SOSFL, but that's for selfish reasons.

A lot of folk felt it was already decided Gretna 2008 would be bottom. All they can do is approach each game and pick up whatever points they can.

Will be a few clubs with squeaky bottoms watching how Gretna 2008 perform.

1 hour ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

A part of me wants to see Gretna 2008 in the SOSFL, but that's for selfish reasons.

A lot of folk felt it was already decided Gretna 2008 would be bottom. All they can do is approach each game and pick up whatever points they can.

Will be a few clubs with squeaky bottoms watching how Gretna 2008 perform.

Your correct. The way Gretna develops/ ends will be judged on are raft of different view  points due to the way they have set the club up this season. Obviously League position, but just as importantly ( if not more ) what progress/development is made give the range of age groups. They are showing great short/long term vision IMO

one 2/3 nearby clubs should envy at this stage. Know nothing about Carlisle, too early in Wullies tenure and QOS have again seemed to have chucked all the dice on Full time. Let see.

6 hours ago, annan4eva said:

Your correct. The way Gretna develops/ ends will be judged on are raft of different view  points due to the way they have set the club up this season. Obviously League position, but just as importantly ( if not more ) what progress/development is made give the range of age groups. They are showing great short/long term vision IMO

one 2/3 nearby clubs should envy at this stage. Know nothing about Carlisle, too early in Wullies tenure and QOS have again seemed to have chucked all the dice on Full time. Let see.

There does seem to have been a reset at Gretna. Joining the Southern Counties FA last season and putting out a team in the Wset Dev League. Suggests they are looking beyond being a LL team and more a community team, which is to be applauded.

As you know I am a champion of youth football and love to see the transition from youth to adult. I can't speak for Lochar, but at Threave they have a few boys turning out regularly who played at U20 last season.

It was sad to see Annan pull out of the West Dev before it began last season, obviously there was probably a valid reason, hopefully its something they can revisit. 

QOS, from what I see, appear to prefer loan arrangements with local clubs rather than having a Dev Team.

The quality and competitive edge to the West Dev most definitely benefitted Threave and Lochar. So if Gretna get any positive outcomes from their involvement in terms of players graduating to the senior team, hopefully will show others the plus sides to this form of investment.

2 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

There does seem to have been a reset at Gretna. Joining the Southern Counties FA last season and putting out a team in the Wset Dev League. Suggests they are looking beyond being a LL team and more a community team, which is to be applauded.

As you know I am a champion of youth football and love to see the transition from youth to adult. I can't speak for Lochar, but at Threave they have a few boys turning out regularly who played at U20 last season.

It was sad to see Annan pull out of the West Dev before it began last season, obviously there was probably a valid reason, hopefully its something they can revisit. 

QOS, from what I see, appear to prefer loan arrangements with local clubs rather than having a Dev Team.

The quality and competitive edge to the West Dev most definitely benefitted Threave and Lochar. So if Gretna get any positive outcomes from their involvement in terms of players graduating to the senior team, hopefully will show others the plus sides to this form of investment.

100 percent there has been.  As i’ve said in my post there are a number of new people involved in the club that have been involved in a different capacity before that have helped us in better ways in the last few months.  Notably our Director of Football Nikki White, he’s been a player, a coach & also just a general supporter of the club & community from the very start, having someone that has the experience & knowledge for what the club needs is vital & he has been huge in getting the under 20’s team in this season.  Gretna have had a really good youth academy ran by the same people (basically parents of the kids) for a few years now but we’ve never been able to bridge the gap between youth football & the senior team.  We now have that, so there’s a real future for the club & community going forward.

9 hours ago, gretnascotty said:

100 percent there has been.  As i’ve said in my post there are a number of new people involved in the club that have been involved in a different capacity before that have helped us in better ways in the last few months.  Notably our Director of Football Nikki White, he’s been a player, a coach & also just a general supporter of the club & community from the very start, having someone that has the experience & knowledge for what the club needs is vital & he has been huge in getting the under 20’s team in this season.  Gretna have had a really good youth academy ran by the same people (basically parents of the kids) for a few years now but we’ve never been able to bridge the gap between youth football & the senior team.  We now have that, so there’s a real future for the club & community going forward.

That's what we need in D&G to be able to produce the players that can help our clubs become more competitive. As I've said I watched both Lochar and Threave U20's last season, there is evidence it is helping the senior squad with almost immediate effect.

I am fully aware the development squad won't be for all clubs, but clubs should at the very least have a feasibility check into it.

There is no U20 setup west of CD, I know there is the excellent Galloway Thistle club, a number of their players move onto Wigtown, Newton Stewart when they reach 17. The results at W&B suggest they are not ready for senior football.

Saints have a flourishing youth setup at St Mary's. What age that stops at, I don't know, I should but don't.

Have no idea what youth setup Stranraer have, there is the Reserves. I honestly have no knowledge of how they fit into the Stranraer setup. Anecdotally heard no link other than name but can't say honestly what the link is or isn't.

I put a page in the South Forum specifically covering our 3 clubs in the West Dev. If you get to any Gretna 2008 games or have any info please add to it or even just peruse it at your leisure.

Boom! Another win for the black and whites.

Didn’t expect much up at Broadwood, especially after the Colts beat EK at home on Saturday but by all accounts our 3 points were deserved.  2 Disallowed goals from Gretna as well!

Massive start to the season from the lads, going in the right direction thats for sure.  Very tough game on Saturday against Linlithgow Rose…..Don’t see them being far off the top of the league before long!

Things I didn't expect three games into the season: to be shiteing it about a game against Gretna. We won 9-2 there last season.

I'm delighted for your renaissance, but if you could pause it for a week that would be great.

It's been a 'mare the last couple of seasons for Gretna fans, looking around to see what team is poorer than us so we have a chance of avoiding relegation.

I watched us in the friendly against Annan,  who looked a very decent team and.

Yes we lost 3-0 but from what I seen gave me hope.

I'm certainly not getting carried away with two wins but it's a lot better than last season where I think it took near to ten games to get a win.

Happier days!